Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 09:01 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times

Advertisements

I know someone who teaches at Circle of Seasons in Fogelsville. She's been there for a few years and will not be placing her children there and will, in fact, be looking to transfer to a public school next year. If you have any intention of teaching in Pennsylvania know that any of the good school districts are very competitive for hiring and you will need Pennsylvania certification.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2019, 12:12 PM

156 posts, read 303,593 times
toobusytoday, well that is disappointing and very negative news about Circle of Seasons. I am an experienced educator as well, and already hold a PA teaching certificate.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:01 PM

72 posts, read 127,036 times
Hi! We are sending ours to public, or at least starting out that way, but I have researched a lot of privates and we seem to have similar taste--looking for something progressive, inquiry-based, lots of outdoor time for the younger kids. Waldorf is a very specific (and I thought) rigid theory of education. It was too extreme for us but the campus in Kimberton is gorgeous and for the right family, I am sure its great. Before we moved to the burbs we were in Philly and if we had stayed I would have done the Schuylkill Nature Center...seemed low key, nature based, developmentally appropriate but it only goes to K. There are three truly progressive schools in Philly you should consider--Rose Valley, Miquon and Philadelphia School. If we had the $ we'd do one of these. Philly burbs also have lots of great Quaker schools. Big ones are Penn Charter, Abington Friends, Germantown Friends, but there are a lot. Germantown Academy is also a very good private school.

Old 11-17-2019, 05:05 PM

72 posts, read 127,036 times
Keep in mind if you are in Chestnut Hill (or anywhere in Philly) you have tons of private school options but not the same caliber of public schools, were you to need one, as if you were in the burbs--almost anywhere in the burbs has stronger publics than Philadelphia. This is a big generalization and there are exceptions of course. Also, the privates are pricey (really pricey) like 20-40K/year

Old 11-21-2019, 06:45 AM

MKE8244 thank yo so much!! This is really helpful information. You have definitely done your research. As a public school educator, I need to do more research about the variety of schools available. I am going to look at all of these. Do you mind me asking where you live and which public school you have decided to send your kids to?

Old 11-21-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE8244 View Post
Keep in mind if you are in Chestnut Hill (or anywhere in Philly) you have tons of private school options but not the same caliber of public schools, were you to need one, as if you were in the burbs--almost anywhere in the burbs has stronger publics than Philadelphia. This is a big generalization and there are exceptions of course. Also, the privates are pricey (really pricey) like 20-40K/year
Can you explain what you mean when you said, that the private schools are not the same caliber as public schools...in which ways?

Old 11-21-2019, 12:33 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp3530 View Post
Can you explain what you mean when you said, that the private schools are not the same caliber as public schools...in which ways?
I think he meant that the public schools in Philadelphia are, generally, not going to be the same caliber as the private schools. Whereas in the suburbs, the publics and privates may be more on par with each other.

Old 11-22-2019, 05:54 AM

I am trying to look at areas to live based off these schools which are exactly what we would like. The other day I was looking in Lehigh Valley area which I was able to get a mental picture of and what was around. Does anyone have an idea of Rose Valley PA or surrounding areas? We do not want to live in the city...

Old 11-22-2019, 11:02 AM

188 posts, read 127,229 times
Not too familiar with Rose Valley itself, but Media (town right next door) is a pretty desirable place to live with a nice main street (state street) with shops and restaurants and a trader joes. Schools are also supposed to be good, but someone else can probably give more details. Some other nice small towns around there (Swarthmore) as well as Ridley Creek state park and Tyler Arboretum (if you like nature). Plus if you have the need/desire to get into Philly without driving, you can take the trolley that goes down state street to 69th street station and hop on the el, or there are various regional rail stations in the area that will bring you right to center city.

I'll also add that Linvilla Orchards is also fun to visit with kids. There are some other orchards in the area too.

Last edited by skintreesnail; 11-22-2019 at 11:12 AM..

Old 11-22-2019, 12:36 PM

These ideas are helpful! Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia