Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 08:05 PM

712 posts, read 701,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Thanks for posting.

For most of the past couple of decades, Masterman's been the only Pennsylvania high school to crack U.S. News' top 50 high schools nationwide.

I see that Downingtown STEM Academy has also made it into that club (at #29, seven spots below Masterman).

U.S. News ranks Central #4 statewide (Radnor High is #3; #s 1 and 2 are above) and #284 nationwide (Radnor's #237).

24% white, 26% black, 36% Asian, 8% Hispanic.

"100% economically disadvantaged," but since the SDP serves free lunch to all students under a USDA program that allows this for high-poverty districts, that stat's probably bogus.
The stat is bogus. Twenty percent of Masterman students are economically disadvantaged. Also black enrollment is now down to 15%. Demographically Masterman is nothing like the vast majority of other district school. That’s a huge factor in why it’s so sought after.

https://futurereadypa.org/School/Fas...82005046203183
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2019, 03:46 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
The stat is bogus. Twenty percent of Masterman students are economically disadvantaged. Also black enrollment is now down to 15%. Demographically Masterman is nothing like the vast majority of other district school. That’s a huge factor in why it’s so sought after.

https://futurereadypa.org/School/Fas...82005046203183
The stats in my post were for Central, not Masterman.

Niche.com, the one school rating site that factors diversity into its rankings, rates Central No. 1 in the state on that metric.

But the "economically disadvantaged" stats for both are bogus for the reason I gave.

Old 12-06-2019, 04:41 AM

319 posts, read 145,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
That was not racist. The desire for a high performing school that is more representative of the city's demographics is anti-racist.
When a desire and a policy for racial quotas results in excluding others who are more deserving, that makes it 'racist.' And a lot of people, yourself included, have no problem with that.

How about we do better by placing and rewarding the brightest and most qualified?

Crazy concept, I know.

Last edited by bursitis; 12-06-2019 at 05:01 AM..

Old 12-06-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bursitis View Post
When a desire and a policy for racial quotas results in excluding others who are more deserving, that makes it 'racist.' And a lot of people, yourself included, have no problem with that.

How about we do better by placing and rewarding the brightest and most qualified?

Crazy concept, I know.
One reason for putting a thumb on the scale in favor of the disfavored - and I'm not just talking race here, though that matters a lot in our society - is because doing so both helps reduce inequality and promote the kind of social mobility we need more of. (And our society has become less, not more, mobile over the recent decades.)

I've tended to favor preferences based on socioeconomic status because (a) they allow us to achieve the racial diversity goal without being explicitly racial, thanks to the proportions of the various racial groups living in poverty (b) they allow low-income children regardless of race to get a leg up (c) and that's important because study after study has shown that school performance (at least as measured on standardized tests) correlates most strongly with household income, and income redistribution enjoys even less support than racial preferences.

The other option: Pour the kind of money and resources (including human ones; the poor kids often don't enjoy the kind of home support the wealthy kids do) the wealthy schools enjoy into the poor ones. In fact, pour more resources into those schools than the wealthy ones enjoy. Now figure out where that money's going to come from. Think the privileged parents will quietly agree to this?

Old 12-06-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:

Crazy concept, I know.
But I will also address race specifically.

I grew up integrated, at least as far as schooling is concerned.

I am very much aware that our society remains divided by race. I'd like more people to grow up as I did.

Most black parents, even the ones who trust white people as far as they can throw them, seek the same thing. They're not the ones standing in the way of that goal.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
The stats in my post were for Central, not Masterman.

Niche.com, the one school rating site that factors diversity into its rankings, rates Central No. 1 in the state on that metric.

But the "economically disadvantaged" stats for both are bogus for the reason I gave.
Was just confirming what you mentioned regarding universal feeding and providing school level data. Central is just under 40% economically disadvantaged. Both schools highlight the double-edged nature of selective enrollment public schools. They are an effective tool for attracting white students and promoting diversity. However, they exacerbate economic, linguistic and special ed segregation in schools.

Also, US News is absolutely a trash source for anything related to education.

Old 12-06-2019, 03:27 PM

319 posts, read 145,552 times
Poor Asian and African children seem to be doing quite well academically here in the U.S.

How many more excuses do we need for ... ?

Old 12-06-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Poor Asian and African children seem to be doing quite well academically here in the U.S.

American history is different from that of Asia or Africa. Even in the "scramble for Africa," the native populations were not subjugated to the degree the Africans brought to America against their will were.

And yes, certain historical events reverberate long after their end.

If you don't understand that or the way those events reverberate, I pity you.

I do, and I'm probably the kind of person you wish there were more of.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:

Academic achievement is intensely correlated with the level of parental education. Little known fact. African immigrants are slightly more likely to have a college degree than US born whites. The same is true for Asian immigrants. They may have a comparatively low-income but they are often well-educated.

We now return to our regularly scheduled bigotry.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:50 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
Any school that you have to test into is going to be higher achieving in school rankings.

Our concern with Masterman from a parents standpoint is, frankly, how competitive it is academically once you're there. There's certainly a "type" that can thrive in this pressure cooker but it can get pretty intense if your piers are all getting 1400s on their SATs while also being a concert cellists at the age of 15...

Luckily - if Masterman isn't your kids bag - Central is an awesome school that offers a more "normal" big high school experience.
I've heard some masterman parents complain about the culture at the school. Yes, the education itself likely isnt any better than central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia