Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 04:11 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,553,691 times

Advertisements

It's just a handful of them who get virulent when something unflattering is said about Philly. Philly like any large city has it's fair shares of flaws but hey, don't bring that stuff here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
Should I make a why are Philadelphia people so unfriendly thread and grammar nazis ?
And why they think I care?
Or how about dont worry be happy and focus on keeping philly clean. LOL
Heres a slogan "Dont just judge point and laugh show brotherly love put on gloves and pick up trash "
Imagine if I was blind writing on braille keyboard.
Crazy how one assumes not good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 05:38 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,560,783 times
so I guess it's a bit also like perspective. I was born and raised in NYC, it was and is dirty nasty. I guess you guys have never ridden the subway there but it's horrible. I live on the upper west side, Harlem and have family in Queens. driving home in the summer along the belt still smells like a garbage dump.

went to school in Pittsburgh, worked in Chicago. You want to see a dirty city... chicago.

Now I haven't seen a street sweeping machine in any of the above cities since Jesus was a boy so can't offer my opinion on that.

Basically I think Philly is no better nor worse than any other major us city. I visit Paris quite often and haven't been impressed with their cleanliness either, especially dog waste.

2 million people bound to be a few pigs.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:04 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,516,649 times
Quote:
North Philly
West Philly
All a long broad.
Fishtown
Kensington
When will people start to truly care about philly stop throwing trash everywhere?
Why won't fines and laws get more strict and why wont the city make this a main priority?
This is decades in the making
You should do some research about the topic before ignorantly commenting that no cares. That’s what turns this into a troll thread.

Can you give specific places you think are dirty in fishtown? Same with broad street? You do realize North Broad up to glenwood ave is cleaned regularly.

https://whyy.org/articles/philly-wil...dors-citywide/

Every business corridor is getting new cleaning services too.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:34 PM

377 posts, read 474,665 times
It's bad here, no doubt about it. I honestly thought people had (largely) stopped littering until we moved down here.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:07 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
so I guess it's a bit also like perspective. I was born and raised in NYC, it was and is dirty nasty. I guess you guys have never ridden the subway there but it's horrible. I live on the upper west side, Harlem and have family in Queens. driving home in the summer along the belt still smells like a garbage dump.

went to school in Pittsburgh, worked in Chicago. You want to see a dirty city... chicago.

Now I haven't seen a street sweeping machine in any of the above cities since Jesus was a boy so can't offer my opinion on that.

Basically I think Philly is no better nor worse than any other major us city. I visit Paris quite often and haven't been impressed with their cleanliness either, especially dog waste.

2 million people bound to be a few pigs.
I've never heard Chicago labeled a dirty city. Especially compared to these Eastern ones. Chicago's Core is especially kept clean and green. They work at it too and visitors notice the effort.

In the 90s and into the 2000s. Hoed areas of the South and West sides had worst blight cleared out. Areas of worst blight are gone. Empty lots returned to grass and trees.

Also as I noted in threads. 90% of the city has full alleys. Additional parking to garages and filled with city furnished Blue or Black trash bins. No need to trash fronts.

Also city-wide Sweeper-fleet that does virtually every block at least bi-monthly. This includes its hoods.

Anyone knowing the city knows the bin filled alleys sometimes with mattresses and other appliances when city is doing extra-pick-ops. STREET-VIEW goes down much of the cities alleys, almost all in the North and more and more South I've noticed too.

The city may have failed to control gangs. But has been proactive in getting property owners to not keep then trashed and from green-space maintained.

These alleys help a lot. Visitors see them if they stay outside the Core especially.

Typical Workers Cottage home block

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9232...7i16384!8i8192

Its alley

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9231...7i16384!8i8192

Simple Latino neighborhood mostly today. But gentrification will probably enter it.

It is what it is. I like the old simple area. Green frontage and trees. "Filthy no". I don't think I need to post the bungalow-belt or top neighborhoods, or others..... All have the alleys and bins. Street-view goes down to see good or bad.

But shy Chicago is called filthy? Is most unusual on C-D. Doesn't help Philly's issues look better.

Old 11-24-2019, 02:59 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
It's just a handful of them who get virulent when something unflattering is said about Philly. Philly like any large city has it's fair shares of flaws but hey, don't bring that stuff here.
Don’t take it personally when some people don’t share your opinions. But you’re more than free to keep ‘em coming.

As for the OP, Philly definitely has a trash problem. Hopefully the street cleaning may start to encourage some people to change their habits and have a little pride in their neighborhoods. One thing I still don’t get is trash service. It seems people are free to leave it on their sidewalks in any type of container, often an open paper bag. A strong wind, or - God forbid - a rainstorm scatters the refuse down the street. I’ve never understood why trash bags are not required. They make environmental-friendly bags. It seems the trash haulers would also welcome it.

As for pollution, give me a break. When living in Houston, I worked in a highrise and there is a brown haze that completely encircles the city. It was not visible at the street level though we breathed it in 24/7. I started every morning hacking and coughing for about 15 minutes. That completely stopped when I moved to Philly. Take a look at where Philly sits on the list of the 25 cities with the most pollution:

21st in ozone
18th in year-round particulates
Unranked in short-term particulates

(https://www.lung.org/our-initiatives...ed-cities.html)

If the OP won’t research his/her facts and post in a semi-literate script, I have trouble seeing the thread as anything other than troll-bait. If that’s being virulent, then call me virulent. I mean, look at this mess:
Quote:
Should I make a why are Philadelphia people so unfriendly thread and grammar nazis ?
And why they think I care?
Or how about dont worry be happy and focus on keeping philly clean. LOL
Heres a slogan "Dont just judge point and laugh show brotherly love put on gloves and pick up trash "
Imagine if I was blind writing on braille keyboard.
Crazy how one assumes not good.
^^^
If you’re ready to engage with this, feel free.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:53 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
It wont change, people more concerned with grammer than the problems of this city like (litter) the repeated youth gang attacks in CC, shootings etc-
This is marathon weekend in Philadelphia. There are a ton of positive things going in the city.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
You mean NYC because London and other major European cities don't come close to the level of littering in Philly.

How often does the likes Broad street get cleaned?
You literally said how near horrible Gord du Nord and King's Cross stations were, iyo, in another thread. Last time I was in Gord du Nord was April, 2018. Didn't see at all what offended you.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:53 AM

14,175 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
They go to such things if they see a non-complementary post, or some other unrelated insult.
One of the rules I learned back in the days of Usenet newsgroups was: You can call others out on their views, but criticizing their grammar and usage was verboten.

This rule existed, I suspect, because most of the people who comment online don't have a strong command of written English, or they consider online conversation as more like talking than writing. (I'm definitely in the opposite camp here: it may be conversation, but it's written conversation, dammit!) If people called each other out on grammar, punctuation, and usage, every discussion thread would devolve into a grammar-Nazi flamefest.

My inner editor and proofreader could have a field day with a bunch of posters here - especially you, as I think I've noted before. But following that old rule, I refrain from doing so.

Now on to the substance:

I don't know how many of you here know that the city has been running a pilot street-sweeping program in six city neighborhoods since April; the pilot ends at the end of this month.

It probably hasn't registered with anyone participating in this discussion because the six neighborhoods are in lower-income parts of the city or not on the beaten path of the tourists and the more affluent or both.

This article suggests that while the response to the program has been positive, some esidents of the six neighborhoods aren't certain the leaf blowers and mechanical street sweepers have made much of a difference. (The leaf blowers are used to blow trash into the middle of the street so the sweepers can pick it up without requiring residents to move their cars.)

I hope the pilot program expands to other neighborhoods. Ideally, it should require that residents move their cars as the old program that ended in 2009 did.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:06 PM

OT. The city reopened 4 fire stations that were closed because of the Great Recession last week. I really care about that as a citizen and tax payer, fwiw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia