Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 01:53 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Just that ALL quickly can name things about these cites or immediate region. That they can note as EXITING. LA all know Hollywood to Malibu, Coastal lifestyle. Miami gets the Beach and Miami Beach to Palm Beach to the Keys..... Mimi in the Middle. NYC needs no mention of things they note.

Philly is not going to get a exciting not over Ben Franklin, his tomb or Liberty Bell or even Beautiful City Hell to the Rocky steps of the Art Museum. Like other cities. They FO NOT affiliated the Jersey Shore with Philly either. As some locals like to push just a hour+away.

Gaining MORE recognition for its unique aspects of CC to UC and other enclaves. Come in visits and if others tell of the great visit they had to others. Visitors like to be WOWED by visits and New and aspects termed "Must See" places with excitement. They may overlook some negatives more to still get to the places deemed exciting and not to be missed.

We all should know it is hard to match the things some cities universally get recognition for ...... over a city for nice visits to explore ..... but less a Big Exciting label. Philly still gets a bit of the lesser label. Catching up. But city isn't adding much more to increase being a more exciting destination by creating more then just nice improvements.

I think Philly will continue to gain more tourism. But so are other cities. Baltimore got some early hype for its Harbor Place. Still did not spill over to much more there.

Philly adding Independence Mall. Showcases the Hall nicely. When I first saw Independence Hall. I thought it needed much more to showcase it. It was just too just hemmed in all around it then. I just think MORE could be added to the Mall itself too. Wide open in the middle still could have more added, seating and events that bring visitors. Especially its farther half from the Hall itself.

I see the Liberty Bell building as drab and should have had more grandeur. But still the Idea of the Mall was GREAT TO CREATE and a asset. But still added too also.

Just we have to admit that Philly Historic sights. Are Great..... But seen far less as -- Exciting vs some other cities you listed. That we all can name aspects that the term "Exciting" can be added and why they draw visitors.

Philly has a great Core. But a more subdued "IT" factor when people think of exiting. I will add yet.
Dave, do you realize that Independence Hall is within a National Park?

Last edited by southbound_295; 11-27-2019 at 02:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2019, 02:17 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Dave, do you realize that Independence Hall is with a National Park?
But wasn't the Mall in front of it built by the city? Yes the Hall itself is as should be a National symbol of the Nation for the signing of the Declaration of Independence. But I meant all the buildings tore down for the Mall today in front. Great choice to showcase the Hall.

But does this mean the city can't add to it ... the Mall it built? Of course we have the Liberty Bell housed there too on the Mall I believe. I like the fountain added too on the grounds.

Last edited by DavePa; 11-27-2019 at 02:25 PM..

Old 11-27-2019, 02:31 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I find that to be one of the best parts of Philadelphia. You will always have Starbucks and Dunkin, but I enjoy the local coffee shops, bakeries, restaurants, markets, etc.

Actual retail (shopping) are the only chains I would like to see expand in Philadelphia, but I can live without 20 Paneras, Olive Gardens, Arbys and every other crappy chain that proliferates Southern cities.

I wish there were less Wawas in Center City though, I don't mind the banks as much since they don't attract a rowdy crowd.
No more Olive Garden in CC and I don't think there were ever any Arbys.

Old 11-27-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
But wasn't the Mall in front of it built by the city? Yes the Hall itself is as should be a National symbol of the Nation for the signing of the Declaration of Independence. But I meant all the buildings tore down for the Mall today in front. Great choice to showcase the Hall.

But does this mean the city can't add to it ... the Mall it built? Of course we have the Liberty Bell housed there too on the Mall I believe. I like the fountain added too on the grounds.
Would you prefer that the slummy buildings that were there would have been left?

The crappy glass building that was built for the Bicentennial to house the Liberty Bell is gone. People, generally, hated it. It's been replaced.

The mall was used for the first Earth Day. People gather there and at Belmont Plateau. It's fine.

I'm not positive who owns the mall, the city or the feds, but they work in conjunction concerning the historic areas.

Old 11-27-2019, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post

Now I think the crisis with shopping is just about every where except maybe NY and LA. I think that's a by product of malls. Malls became a big hit and local independent shops went by the wayside. We are seeing a reversal of that, thank God.
I make it a point to support small business Saturday simply because I hate chain stores. NY neighborhoods have manage to buck that trend.
E-commerce will obviously continue to make inroads with "bricks and mortar" retail. Many malls have died across the country but here we have a few that have held their own( KoP being the big example of that) and we went right ahead and re-did, re-branded and opened another one, Fashion District.

Old 11-27-2019, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo1 View Post
HAHA thats true: black is boring.
Although I can say that you can wear blacks in different ways and still look fashionable.
Also if you go to BedStuy or even Sunset Park (gasp!), the hipster fashion is on point and colorful.
I have to agree that people in Philly does not know how to dress up except for certain enclaves.
When I moved to Philly from Miami, I just found that people are horribly dressed in general.
You can wear black-black or just a tshirt/sandals but look fashionable.
When I was a child, back in the Stone Age, Philadelphians absolutely knew how to dress especially black people.

Old 11-27-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Dave, do you realize that Independence Hall is within a National Park?
"Adding Independence Hall". Lol

Old 11-27-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Would you prefer that the slummy buildings that were there would have been left?

The crappy glass building that was built for the Bicentennial to house the Liberty Bell is gone. People, generally, hated it. It's been replaced.

The mall was used for the first Earth Day. People gather there and at Belmont Plateau. It's fine.

I'm not positive who owns the mall, the city or the feds, but they work in conjunction concerning the historic areas.
The crappy glass building was designed by a major architect although I forget who.

Old 11-27-2019, 02:57 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,243,209 times
Quote:

I understand my post can be hard to understand at times and typos, grammar and sentence structuring. But my post was FULLY POSITIVE on the Mall built as I noted..... I first saw Independence Hall before the Mall and thought it was all hemmed in I said. It did need a plaza or the Mall. I said nothing on the buildings tore down for the Mall as being slum-like. I don't remember it that way.

As I noted too. Things got added also afterwards. The fountain was a nice touch I noted. So guess it is done now? Great if all is finished then. But early on it did not have additions. Glad more came.

Perhaps more highlighting the Mall and Hall, Bell and Betsy Ross House etc. Is needed more in commercials in links we view that you get city advertisements with them. Even for YouTube video viewing vlogs of visitors to cities. They have intermittent commercials too. Some on cities to visit in these advertisements.

Philly can advertise it more. Especially for Spring thru Autumn. Now There are the top of a Philly skyscraper as a skydeck. To view the city from .... needs advertising toward prospective tourist.

More the city adds. The more to get out the news. GLAD YOU COULD GIVE - KYB01 a laugh. Guess if I wrote HALL in a spot I meant MALL. She supposedly only saw my post as you used it in quote. She claims I'm on Ignore. I took that to mean .... the C-D Ignore feature?

Last edited by DavePa; 11-27-2019 at 03:13 PM..

Old 11-27-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
The crappy glass building was designed by a major architect although I forget who.
I made it a point to not remember who was to blame for it. If you recall, locally, people started complaining about it the day that the bell was put in there. That was my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia