Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 12:10 PM

10 posts, read 6,299 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I just landed a remote job and get to move anywhere within the U.S. I'm from South Jersey so I've always had a love for this city. After months of deciding, I think Philly is where I will end up soon. Any suggestions on where to move within the city would be welcome!

When are you moving? --This summer, probably. Waiting for COVID to die down just a little bit

Where are you coming from? --St. Louis, MO

Why are you moving? --I want a big city without the cost of NYC/SF. I also just love Philadelphia.

Where will you be working? --From my apartment/house

Have you been here yet? --Yep! Went quite a few times as a kid, and as a spur of the moment trip back in 2015ish.

Will you buy or rent?-- Rent for a few years, then eventually buy.

If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? I'd likely be looking for a rowhome in the next 5 years. But This should not have much of a bearing as to where I call home here first.

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? --Renting a rowhome is appealing, but would be okay with a loft too. I'm trying to keep it under $1,700.

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? --I'm looking to stay in the city. (Yes, I know the wage tax is a thing, I've made my peace with it.)

Are you married or single? Do you have children? --Single, no kids. Male 28

Do you have pets? --No, but am looking to get a cat soon.

Do you want or need a yard? --Nope

Are you keeping a car? --On the fence, could go either way here.

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? --I prefer more active, vibrant areas.

What do you want to be closest to? --Grocery stores, the rail system, music venues, bars. I will choose a pub/brewery over a night club 10/10 times.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? --Diversity is great, but would prefer a younger vibe (late 20's, 30's)

Favorite Beverage - Craft Beer, wine, water? --Whiskey for home, beer at the pub!

Bonus things about me: I love live music and will likely try to make friends in the local music scene. I love Philly sports and will likely go to as many Flyers/Eagles games as I can.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 02:41 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
$1700 can get you a one bedroom apartment in every neighborhood so that’s a pretty good budget for Philly. My suggestion is looking for rentals in Center City. Once you got a lay of the land, you can expand your search.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:20 AM

1,213 posts, read 953,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerVie View Post
Hi everyone! I just landed a remote job and get to move anywhere within the U.S. I'm from South Jersey so I've always had a love for this city. After months of deciding, I think Philly is where I will end up soon. Any suggestions on where to move within the city would be welcome!

When are you moving? --This summer, probably. Waiting for COVID to die down just a little bit

Where are you coming from? --St. Louis, MO

Why are you moving? --I want a big city without the cost of NYC/SF. I also just love Philadelphia.

Where will you be working? --From my apartment/house

Have you been here yet? --Yep! Went quite a few times as a kid, and as a spur of the moment trip back in 2015ish.

Will you buy or rent?-- Rent for a few years, then eventually buy.

If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? I'd likely be looking for a rowhome in the next 5 years. But This should not have much of a bearing as to where I call home here first.

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? --Renting a rowhome is appealing, but would be okay with a loft too. I'm trying to keep it under $1,700.

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? --I'm looking to stay in the city. (Yes, I know the wage tax is a thing, I've made my peace with it.)

Are you married or single? Do you have children? --Single, no kids. Male 28

Do you have pets? --No, but am looking to get a cat soon.

Do you want or need a yard? --Nope

Are you keeping a car? --On the fence, could go either way here.

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? --I prefer more active, vibrant areas.

What do you want to be closest to? --Grocery stores, the rail system, music venues, bars. I will choose a pub/brewery over a night club 10/10 times.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? --Diversity is great, but would prefer a younger vibe (late 20's, 30's)

Favorite Beverage - Craft Beer, wine, water? --Whiskey for home, beer at the pub!

Bonus things about me: I love live music and will likely try to make friends in the local music scene. I love Philly sports and will likely go to as many Flyers/Eagles games as I can.

Thanks everyone!
Check out Northern Liberties and Old City

Old 04-22-2020, 10:16 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
I would focus on Washington Square West area. Your budget will definitely get you a one bedroom in that area and it is quite central to all the best parts of the city.

Fishtown has a young vibe, but I find it has become a bit more family oriented and older over the past 5 years and doesn't carry the same youthful vibe it did 10 years ago.

It also is a bit sleepy unless it is the weekend. imo

Old 04-23-2020, 10:54 AM

Thanks so much for the suggestions!

I found a place I am interested in within the Passyunk Square neighborhood. Thoughts?

Old 04-23-2020, 12:30 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for the suggestions!

I found a place I am interested in within the Passyunk Square neighborhood. Thoughts?
Amazing neighborhood. One of the best, and I own a house there. It's super walkable, amazing amenities, some of the city's best transit (closer to Broad is better IMO). If you live within Passyunk Square, the crime and issues are pretty low. The most annoying things are parking and some litter issues (you can easily live there without a car, I did). The litter issues have improved some over the years (litter is a problem in many non-Center City neighborhoods).

Old 04-26-2020, 02:19 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I found a place in Old Kensington, right between Fishtown and Northern Liberties that interests me.

Can anyone speak to relative safety? It's right off of Girard on N 4th St.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:49 PM

1,213 posts, read 953,967 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I found a place in Old Kensington, right between Fishtown and Northern Liberties that interests me.

Can anyone speak to relative safety? It's right off of Girard on N 4th St.
On 4th street, you're good as far north as Cecil B. Moore (maybe even Master), so right off Girard, you're fine.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
On 4th street, you're good as far north as Cecil B. Moore (maybe even Master), so right off Girard, you're fine.
Right on, thanks!

Old 04-27-2020, 09:30 PM

20 posts, read 11,869 times
I lived in Northern Liberties on 5th, and it was close to Olde (or South) Kensington. Has some great restaurants, but honestly Passyunk Square is nicer in my opinion. Have you considered Callowhill or West Poplar? Those neighborhoods are affordable and close to three breweries along with a soon to be whiskey distillery and the Rail Park.

Honestly, you can’t really go wrong. It’s just about figuring out what neighborhood you fit well in once you’re here. Everyone has specific areas that they feel most attached to in this city.

Also, welcome to the area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia