Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 01:40 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,002 times

Advertisements

I was off for MLK Day, so I decided to spend my day in the Northeast--mostly due to the fact that I wanted to try a new place called Factory Donuts.

I walked to the El at Girard from Francisville, took it to Frankford TC, hopped on the 66 trolleybus, and jumped off at Frankford and Cottman. Later on, I'd walk to Fox Chase from Mayfair, mostly via Cottman Ave, Algon Ave, and Rhawn Street. First of all, Factory Donuts is delicious! I'm definitely planning on returning at some point, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone. It was nice to see a new small, Philly-owned business open up along Frankford Avenue. My goal was to then walk through Mayfair, try out the Northeast Sandwich Co. near Bleigh and Whitaker, and end my journey in Fox Chase. I never had the chance to try out the sandwich shop, but I did make my way through much of the Lower Northeast and up to the train station at Fox Chase. Out of everything I saw along my walk, the most surprising thing I noted was the confirmation of a trend that I've been hearing about: Mayfair is becoming increasingly Asian!

It's a shame that the city isn't committed to improving transit within the Northeast. Many of those beautiful homes could fill satisfy young/younger people who are looking for less expensive housing with a yard and a garage. Those of us who desire to start families could also take up residence in many of those homes. At the end of the day, however, many of us are turned off by the distance from CC, and infrequent headways on the Regional Rail and certain bus lines knock the Northeast out of consideration for many people my age.

The Northeast isn't fundamentally bad; I actually like it a lot! It could be much better, but I don't believe that it is on the decline (except for Frankford, as well as parts of Summerdale and Lawncrest).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 07:30 AM

121 posts, read 98,094 times
That's a pretty good walk! I do think if the city invested more in the area it could really become an attractive place like you said with the small yards and garages. While I currently live car free and plan to for the foreseable future, however in the Philadelphia region there are many people who want to live an urban lifestyle but their jobs are in the suburbs. Mainly of these jobs are in Lower Bucks county which is quite accessible via car from the NE. As for architecture one of my favorite blocks is the 3200 block of Teesdale, beautiful stone row homes with small well kept lawns on a tree lined street.

As for the neighborhoods on the decline, I am not sure if I would categorize Frankford as on the decline because I feel that it has already bottomed out or is close to it. My cousin who grew up there in the 80's said it was already rough. I think another neighborhood that might be particularly challenged going forward is Wissinoming as it directly borders Frankford.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:41 AM

22 posts, read 13,735 times
How dangerous is Frankford Transportation Center? For you, would it be a concern to take the EL during daylight hours from this stop? Lets say I wanted to live in Oxford Circle and walk down to the EL on weekends or to get somewhere in center city on weekday afternoons.

By danger I mean

-Needles
-Some sort of crime just walking to the station.

I've read there is a large presence of police in the station, but they don't necessarily do anything?

Old 01-23-2020, 05:40 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwcasu View Post
How dangerous is Frankford Transportation Center? For you, would it be a concern to take the EL during daylight hours from this stop? Lets say I wanted to live in Oxford Circle and walk down to the EL on weekends or to get somewhere in center city on weekday afternoons.

By danger I mean

-Needles
-Some sort of crime just walking to the station.

I've read there is a large presence of police in the station, but they don't necessarily do anything?
When I lived off Oxford Circle (18 months in 2011-12), there were times when I would walk home if I got to FTC after the last 19 and 67 buses had left the station (and I'd also missed the last 59 from Margaret-Orthodox / Arrott TC).

The streets were always very quiet, and I don't recall seeing anyone doing anything on them. I probably would have had a greater risk of mayhem on the streets right around the transit hub itself.

I don't know if things have changed since then.

Old 01-23-2020, 07:11 AM

During daylight hours you should be fine especially at the terminal itself. It should be noted that in any city obviously anything can happen anywhere though. At night i would be a little more cautious especially if I was walking back from the El to Oxford Circle

Old 01-23-2020, 07:53 AM

22 posts, read 13,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish1 View Post
During daylight hours you should be fine especially at the terminal itself. It should be noted that in any city obviously anything can happen anywhere though. At night i would be a little more cautious especially if I was walking back from the El to Oxford Circle

I've lived in large cities in China and traveled to India (New Delhi). China is super safe so its hard to compare, but in New Delhi I had a gun flashed at me for just stepping into gang territory (near my hostel). I just kept walking as it wasn't pointed. In the states, I've only lived in mid-tier cities without mass transit, so as long as you didn't drive in the wrong area, you'd be fine.

Thanks for the info. I'm just trying to gauge. I guess If I needed to travel back at night I could take an Uber to avoid any situations.

Old 01-23-2020, 08:35 AM

I have taken the 58 from Frankford many times at night, never super late maybe 10 or 11 at the latest, and have never had a problem at the terminal. You should be perfectly fine if you are waiting for a bus there but may see some interesting characters but that should be it.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:20 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish1 View Post
That's a pretty good walk! I do think if the city invested more in the area it could really become an attractive place like you said with the small yards and garages. While I currently live car free and plan to for the foreseable future, however in the Philadelphia region there are many people who want to live an urban lifestyle but their jobs are in the suburbs. Mainly of these jobs are in Lower Bucks county which is quite accessible via car from the NE. As for architecture one of my favorite blocks is the 3200 block of Teesdale, beautiful stone row homes with small well kept lawns on a tree lined street.

As for the neighborhoods on the decline, I am not sure if I would categorize Frankford as on the decline because I feel that it has already bottomed out or is close to it. My cousin who grew up there in the 80's said it was already rough. I think another neighborhood that might be particularly challenged going forward is Wissinoming as it directly borders Frankford.
I have not been to Tacony in a long time. What's happening there? Do you know?

Old 01-24-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I am thinking more of Wissinoming than Tacony, such as Harbison Avenue between Torresdale and Frankford. Especially around Harbison and Torresdale has seen better days. I couldn't find it but I remember there being a pretty good article a few years ago about Tacony improving their business district with storefront improvement grants and the like. But as stated before I no longer live in Philadelphia so it I am only up there to visit friends and family. I will be up this weekend for my birthday so if I have time I will try to get out to the Northeast.

Old 01-24-2020, 03:28 PM

319 posts, read 145,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It's not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia