Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 06:50 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
What separates New York City from Philly and Baltimore is that they occasionally dabble with Republican mayors. New York has long been a liberal stronghold, and had a string of Democrats running the city until Giuliani. At which point, there was enough low hanging fruit for him to pluck and put the city back on track. This was followed by Democrat/Independent Bloomberg who was elected as a Republican, and now unquestionable-Democrat DeBlasio.

It's hard to keep government accountable in a one party system, and Philadelphia's politics are a de facto one party system. As others mentioned, the only current semblance of accountability in Philadelphia's government is when the feds swoop in.
I agree that one-party rule is not good for accountability. Just look at the state legislature and economies in Alabama and Mississippi, for example.

The problem with Philly is that the alternative usually has such palpable contempt for people who are poor and/or of color that it is difficult at best to extract support from those significant voting blocs. Sam Katz IMO was the last Republican Mayoral candidate - at least to my less politically mature eyes - who had a decent shot of winning due to matching his desire for balancing the budget with a level of empathy for the marginalized. He even publicly acknowledged his gay brother who had died of AIDS, a remarkable admission for that time.

Short of mass gentrification, a Republican will only win the Mayor's Office (let alone Council seats in majority-minority districts) if they show how balancing the budget and privatizing services will directly benefit the struggling and disenfranchised. One smart way to do that would be to have, say, Roland Martin come in and push the benefits of a broad charter school overhaul. (Not that I would necessarily advocate for this myself as I have educator friends in the School District; IJS.)

Catering to the stable-to-prosperous areas of the city while casting aspersions onto the more challenged neighborhoods would not be a winning strategy. Unlike down the road, there are no "electoral" victories here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 09:07 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
It's the entitled youth.

While the job has it's obvious drawbacks, $55K to start plus full pensions in 20 years used to be pretty compelling. Now, these damn kids all think they deserve to be millionaires.

(I'm only kinda kidding)

I have a buddy who's wife was a NYS trooper. She started right out of college and retired at 42 with a $95K pension and lifetime benefits. She's now a forensic psychologist, works part-time and is whistling dixie every damn day.
Nah--it's the culture of Policing, the stigmatization of only oppressing the poor/Justice for Just-Us, and being made to enforce unjust laws. The overwhelming majority of Americans support marijuana legalization yet the War on "Drugs" rages on (70% of "drug" cases include marijuana). This will reach a headway at some point, and we probably have already begun to see it.

Those generous pensions and early retirement for Police come at the expense of the rest of Government and taxpayers.
Especially in PA, it is insanity. This is not to mention things like civil asset forfeiture with Police directly stealing BILLIONS from innocent citizens. People are disgusted in general at Police, and usually rightfully so.

Auditor General: Billions in Transportation Funding Diverted to PA State Police.html

Old 01-31-2020, 07:23 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I was seriously disappointed when Kenyatta won again last fall. The woman running against him seemed like she really cared about improving the community and what-not. He's an idiot who's legislative achievements amount to little or nothing. I was happy when he got laughed out of council over his 'ban' on bay windows.
She did well in the polls considering how small her campaign was, but I agree.

A shame there are so many absent minded voters of Philadelphia don't know any better.

I hope Dombs term limit bill gains traction.

I'm also nervous about the influx of far left "progressive" candidates, most don't have the slightest and are already aiming to ruin the influx of development and and uptick in business interest in the city.

But we shall see...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia