Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,515 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I am a recent college graduate who has begun working in Malvern at a larger company. Sometime within the next few months, I am looking to move out from my parent's house and live with a roommate. I was obviously thinking about living in or around Philadelphia, but I'm not exactly sure where to start.

I want to live somewhere with a considerable presence of peers - 20 something aged young professionals, and in a safer area. Like I mentioned before, I will most likely be living with one other roommate, and would prefer to keep my portion of the rent payment lower than $1000. In addition to this, I would prefer to live in an area with good night life/good access to night life and the city itself.

As far as the commute goes, I will have access to a car, but I am open to using the train to get to Malvern if it turns out to be easier/more efficient. I would prefer to keep the total commute to around 1 hour max, if possible.

Finally, I would ideally like to live in an area with reasonable access to essentials - grocery stores, restaurants, shopping.

I would appreciate any suggestions or advice, and I am very interesting in hearing any input you might have. Obviously, I know it's probably impossible to find the perfect place with everything I'm interested in, but I would love to have a place with the best combination of the above factors. Thanks everyone for the advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 05:10 PM

558 posts, read 295,838 times
I would start by looking at Manayunk. Lots of 20somethings, nightlife, near the highway and not that expensive. It's near Wissahickon park and within 20 minutes to Center City. There are other options but this hours all the boxes.

If you want train access, there are several towns along the Main Line. They don't sound like what you are looking for, a little too settled and residential.

Old 01-18-2020, 05:14 PM

8,968 posts, read 21,051,977 times
If you and a roommate can spend up to $2000 on a 2BR apt then the region is essentially your oyster, especially if your employer is walking distance from Malvern's Regional Rail station.

Center City and its adjacent neighborhoods are obvious although it would stretch your preferred one-hour commute.

Manayunk, popular with younger professionals, could work as well although traffic can be an issue.

West Chester, where you might mingle with university students in its lively downtown, would provide the shortest commute to work but the longest to the nightlife amenities of the city.

Old 01-18-2020, 05:15 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,412,844 times
I don't know where you're working exactly, but I believe most of the big employers in Malvern tend to be just off 202, a good 1.5-2 miles from the Malvern Station. Not exactly walkable on a daily basis, but you might be able to work something out with a colleague. If you can make it work to take the train from Philly, that would be ideal. It is about the same time as driving, and much more relaxing than driving on 76 and 202.

Driving from areas closer to Center City, where the majority of the city's nightlife, dining and shopping are located, you're looking at a good fifty minute+ commute in the morning and over an hour in the afternoon. If you decide on driving, a good compromise might be Manayunk. It is filled with many 20 somethings, bars, restaurants (albeit on a much smaller scale than Center City), closer to Malvern and train access into Center City.

Since Malvern is really an outer suburb, commuting there is not the most practical. My honest suggestion would be to rent a place in Malvern for the ease of commute. You are just starting off your career, and living nearby will prevent any extra stress of difficult commuting. You can always take a train into the city from Malvern, although you will not have easy access to city nightlife. While living in Malvern, it will be easy for you to check out Philadelphia neighborhoods and surrounding suburbs and test out what commutes will feel like: driving on 76 every day isn't exactly fun. You can always move closer to the city if you decide that's what's best for you.

Old 01-18-2020, 05:40 PM

1,511 posts, read 1,156,313 times
If you're going to drive to work, any areas previously mentioned would be good.

Don't know where you'll be working (and you don't have to say), but I know that Vanguard runs a shuttle from the Paoli station. If you want to take the train rather than drive, living anywhere along the Main Line (literally, the train line) will be very convenient. In the city, the stations on that line are Jefferson Station, Suburban Station, and 30th Street Station. To meet your needs for nightlife in the burbs, I'd recommend Ardmore above others. While other towns along the Main Line have a lot going on, many of them (Wayne, for example) can tend to skew older. There has been so much development in Ardmore, both in rentals and bars/restaurants, etc., that it's brought a fair amount of younger folks into its borders.

Old 01-19-2020, 10:42 PM

2,499 posts, read 4,395,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
If you're going to drive to work, any areas previously mentioned would be good.

Don't know where you'll be working (and you don't have to say), but I know that Vanguard runs a shuttle from the Paoli station. If you want to take the train rather than drive, living anywhere along the Main Line (literally, the train line) will be very convenient. In the city, the stations on that line are Jefferson Station, Suburban Station, and 30th Street Station.
Overbook station is also in the city, surrounded by St Joe's students.

Old 01-19-2020, 10:44 PM

2,499 posts, read 4,395,831 times
Screw these companies that locate themselves close to where the CEO lives, not where the talent wants to live.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:33 AM

4,703 posts, read 4,354,087 times
Well JacksonP, there is truth to what you are saying, but I think that if you did a poll of where the employees want to live, the area within 15 miles or so of where Vanguard is located, is pretty desirable and WAS that way even before Vanguard showed up.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:30 AM

8,968 posts, read 21,051,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Well JacksonP, there is truth to what you are saying, but I think that if you did a poll of where the employees want to live, the area within 15 miles or so of where Vanguard is located, is pretty desirable and WAS that way even before Vanguard showed up.
Probably for a lot of mid-level employees with families. Probably not so much with younger professionals.

Old 01-20-2020, 03:23 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,351,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphilly View Post
Hi everyone, I am a recent college graduate who has begun working in Malvern at a larger company. Sometime within the next few months, I am looking to move out from my parent's house and live with a roommate. I was obviously thinking about living in or around Philadelphia, but I'm not exactly sure where to start.

I want to live somewhere with a considerable presence of peers - 20 something aged young professionals, and in a safer area. Like I mentioned before, I will most likely be living with one other roommate, and would prefer to keep my portion of the rent payment lower than $1000. In addition to this, I would prefer to live in an area with good night life/good access to night life and the city itself.

As far as the commute goes, I will have access to a car, but I am open to using the train to get to Malvern if it turns out to be easier/more efficient. I would prefer to keep the total commute to around 1 hour max, if possible.

Finally, I would ideally like to live in an area with reasonable access to essentials - grocery stores, restaurants, shopping.

I would appreciate any suggestions or advice, and I am very interesting in hearing any input you might have. Obviously, I know it's probably impossible to find the perfect place with everything I'm interested in, but I would love to have a place with the best combination of the above factors. Thanks everyone for the advice!
And, back to the OP please.....^^^^

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia