Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 06:00 AM

409 posts, read 369,810 times

Advertisements

Are those $13 fries in Philly a bucket of Chickie's and Pete's Crab Fries? I want to make sure we're doing an apples-to-apples comparison.

I never go to Wells Fargo, but when I'm at Citizens Bank Park, I find the Crab Fries to be an even worse value than the beer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 06:32 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
I like Chickies and Pete’s but I do think their quality has gone down and the price has gone up. The Wells Fargo center definitely sells regular fries that aren’t the crab fries.

All in all, I feel the renovations to the Wells Fargo Center are a bit underwhelming considering it cost $200m+. The concourses look more modern, everything has a fresh coat of paint, the scoreboard is world class now, but I still feel like they could have done a bit more in terms of upgrading the concessions. Lorenzos every couple hundred yards is fine, but I would have liked to see them create more spaces that you can drink and hang around a table and see the game at the same time.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:00 AM

752 posts, read 458,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
Are those $13 fries in Philly a bucket of Chickie's and Pete's Crab Fries? I want to make sure we're doing an apples-to-apples comparison.

I never go to Wells Fargo, but when I'm at Citizens Bank Park, I find the Crab Fries to be an even worse value than the beer.
Totally agree. My kids really like them but we aren't buying them at the game for $13. Regardless, as you say that price shouldn't be used in this comparison. I'm pretty sure you get chicken fingers, fires, and a soda for less than $20 at Wells Fargo.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:38 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post

yes from chickies

Old 01-21-2020, 11:39 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,463,356 times
Food preferences aside for a minute ... holy crap! stuff's expensive! I looked at the Sixers' ticket prices - $70s and up. So if a family of 4 gets decent (say $90) seats, buys some food ($40 would be low-end from what I'm reading), and drives (parking is, what? $25), that's $425. If you have that money and you want to spend it that way, fine - I'm not going to tell you you could feed a village in Bangladesh for a week, save a rhino, etc. It's a discretionary expenditure. But still, yikes, that's a lot of money - you could buy a Chromebook, a modest camera, etc. for that amount. Maybe it's the difference between $ spent on experiences v. durable goods. Just kind of interesting (to me, at least) that a post about expensive fries led me down that path; and THAT is the beauty/rabbit-holeness of these forums :-)

Old 01-21-2020, 12:11 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
Food preferences aside for a minute ... holy crap! stuff's expensive! I looked at the Sixers' ticket prices - $70s and up. So if a family of 4 gets decent (say $90) seats, buys some food ($40 would be low-end from what I'm reading), and drives (parking is, what? $25), that's $425. If you have that money and you want to spend it that way, fine - I'm not going to tell you you could feed a village in Bangladesh for a week, save a rhino, etc. It's a discretionary expenditure. But still, yikes, that's a lot of money - you could buy a Chromebook, a modest camera, etc. for that amount. Maybe it's the difference between $ spent on experiences v. durable goods. Just kind of interesting (to me, at least) that a post about expensive fries led me down that path; and THAT is the beauty/rabbit-holeness of these forums :-)

Yeah, but who is buying "decent seats" as a family? I mean, besides the very wealthy. In basketball/hockey arenas the "worst" seats are not drastically different than most seats, unless we are talking courtside or a few rows back.

The cheapest tickets are $23 for a Sixers game with many seats in the $25-$38 range which seems pretty reasonable to me considering something like movie tickets are like $18+ now, which is even more absurd IMO with Netflix and the plethora of other online options.

Growing up in my large family, we hardly ever bought food at the stadium/arena unless it was $1 dog night and we almost always took public transit to the games. Today I might buy 1 beer but mostly I don't because it just isn't worth the price to me. I'll also park for free in FDR Park if I don't take the subway. I did grab some crab fries a few nights ago at the Sixers game but was pretty disappointed ---$13.00 and they just came out the fryer it seemed but were still pretty lukewarm and a little soggy.

I'm not sure how much normal fries would be---I'd guess $9.00.

Old 01-21-2020, 12:28 PM

409 posts, read 369,810 times
My point about the Crab Fries is, not only are you paying for the novelty of them, but it comes a big bucket that should be split 2-3 ways. Compare that to the pictures of fries at Madison Square Garden, and you'll see it's not an apples-to-apples comparison.

I would still prefer to have the cost (and calories) of a 24oz can of premium beer for $14, but that's just me.

Last edited by Patmcpsu; 01-21-2020 at 12:37 PM..

Old 01-22-2020, 04:24 PM

319 posts, read 145,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post

The cheapest tickets are $23 for a Sixers game with many seats in the $25-$38 range which seems pretty reasonable to me considering something like movie tickets are like $18+ now, which is even more absurd IMO with Netflix and the plethora of other online options.
We rented Joker last Friday night right from the TV for $5.99 and the wife brought home $20 worth of sushi from IGA.

No driving, looking for a seat or having to deal with inconsiderate people.

The only theaters I see us going to in the future are the Ritz' downtown (the Ritz Bourse is closing, btw) and the Woodhaven (but only early shows).

I won't pay to see a meaningless hockey or basketball game, but we'll go to at least one Saturday night Phillies game and sit in the Hall of Fame Club.

The prices for concessions are obscene.

Old 01-22-2020, 04:32 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bursitis View Post
We rented Joker last Friday night right from the TV for $5.99 and the wife brought home $20 worth of sushi from IGA.

No driving, looking for a seat or having to deal with inconsiderate people.

The only theaters I see us going to in the future are the Ritz' downtown (the Ritz Bourse is closing, btw) and the Woodhaven (but only early shows).

I won't pay to see a meaningless hockey or basketball game, but we'll go to at least one Saturday night Phillies game and sit in the Hall of Fame Club.

The prices for concessions are obscene.
I've long felt that most movies - save the occasional action blockbuster - are viewed just as well at home. I think "Joker" would be right on the line for me.

Dine-in movie theaters are big in the Dallas-Fort Worth area; I see they're just starting to arrive here. If I'm going to be paying a little more for food, I'd rather have a full meal than spend "$20" on soda and a snack.

While the best sports seat in the house for me is my sofa, there's something to be said for enjoying the energy of the crowd. One would seem to lose some of that energy in club seats, upscale amenities notwithstanding.

Old 01-22-2020, 05:18 PM

319 posts, read 145,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post

While the best sports seat in the house for me is my sofa, there's something to be said for enjoying the energy of the crowd. One would seem to lose some of that energy in club seats, upscale amenities notwithstanding.
I'm not expecting much energy to be generated by the Phillies this season.

BUT, if they do, I'll be at a few games in the 'regular' seats to enjoy it.

A lively bar works for me, too.

Penn State football games are fun at Bar-Ly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia