Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2020, 12:46 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,418,075 times

Advertisements

I feel a bit embarrassed that I have not figured this out as someone who has lived here nearly three years. Fact is, I have taken regional twice and it surprises me how different it is from just keying into SEPTA subways/trollies/buses. I'm considering using regional rail when I move, so I want to be clear on how it works. Yes, I tried to read SEPTA's website, but honestly the information is so poorly organized/communicated.

1) Does the Chestnut Hill East Line (North bound) start at 30th St Station or University City Station? The SEPTA website and google maps show two different things:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/univ...1580106000!3e3

https://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/w/CHE_0.html

2) Are there free or reduced transfers available from one line to another, or does one pay in full for both rides? I.E., if I take the Media/Elwyn Line from 49th St to 30th, then transfer to Chestnut Hill East at 30th St.

3) Is buying a monthly/weekly Transpass on my SEPTA Key or just buying a single-use ticket / cash payment my only option? Is it possible to use SEPTA Key "Wallet" funds so that I do not need to buy an individual ticket or pay in cash every day that I do not have the monthly/weekly TransPass?

^I also wonder if there are any options other than cash when ticket sales are not open at smaller stations. For example, my friend takes regional rail from Wayne Station into the city and says her only option is to use cash on weekends when the tickets are not available.

Apologies if this information is more readily available than I find it to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 06:12 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,666,100 times
No need to apologize, Septa has been befuddling passengers since I moved to Philadelphia in the 80's.

1) Does the Chestnut Hill East Line (North bound) start at 30th St Station or University City Station? The SEPTA website and google maps show two different things:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/univ...1580106000!3e3

https://www.septa.org/schedules/rail/w/CHE_0.html

All go through 30th, but only some stop at University City. Until a few years ago, the lines ran consistently inbound and outbound (the CHE used to be the R7 and always went from Chestnut Hill to Trenton); now it depends on the time. If you are coming from University City, you may have to change at 30th.

2) Are there free or reduced transfers available from one line to another, or does one pay in full for both rides? I.E., if I take the Media/Elwyn Line from 49th St to 30th, then transfer to Chestnut Hill East at 30th St.

It's a separate ride inbound and outbound, don't know about discounts.

3) Is buying a monthly/weekly Transpass on my SEPTA Key or just buying a single-use ticket / cash payment my only option? Is it possible to use SEPTA Key "Wallet" funds so that I do not need to buy an individual ticket or pay in cash every day that I do not have the monthly/weekly TransPass?

You can do a pay-as-you-go Septa Key card that you can top off, but you can't use them on regional rail, at least not yet, only buses, trolleys and subways.

^I also wonder if there are any options other than cash when ticket sales are not open at smaller stations. For example, my friend takes regional rail from Wayne Station into the city and says her only option is to use cash on weekends when the tickets are not available.

If you don't have a Transpass or a monthly/weekly Key card, then you're using cash. You can buy tickets in advance.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:27 AM

118 posts, read 92,851 times
I could be wrong but I believe its $9 if you are transfering in center city. Or at least that is what I paid when I got on the train in Norristown and got of at 30th street to go to the airport but that was also a few years ago.

Old 01-27-2020, 08:49 AM

744 posts, read 767,487 times
Supposedly we will be able to use travel wallet on regional rail this spring. This will be great for me as I rarely have cash but don't use regional rail enough to buy a monthly pass. The amount of time it has taken SEPTA to roll this out has been absurd.

https://www.inquirer.com/transportat...10.html#loaded

Old 01-27-2020, 10:37 AM

41,737 posts, read 74,703,059 times
It's not you. SEPTA's website is notoriously murky, full of incomplete and conflicting information.

If you're transferring between trains through one of the Center City stations, you pay a reduced rate. Last time I took a train from Norristown to Trenton through 30th Street, the fare was $9; now it might be $9.50.

You can buy tickets in advance from any ticket window; they're good for 180 days (at least, that's what I was told! I wouldn't be surprised if that was incorrect).

SEPTA Key totally befuddles me. They couldn't have made it any more convoluted if they'd tried.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:27 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,418,075 times
Thanks all for the help. I’m glad I’m not the only one confused by the SEPTA website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia