Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 04:34 AM

7 posts, read 7,377 times

Advertisements

I currently live in West Chester and commute by train to work in West Phila. My boyfriend lives in Cherry Hill and drives to work also in CH on Rte 70 about 10 minutes from the Ben Franklin bridge. We both rent. We want to move in together at a location that allows us each a reasonable commute time to work (roughly 30 minutes), as well as being within a 30-minute drive from Phila to enjoy the city, but NOT taking the Schuylkill. I need to be within a short drive from a train line that goes to 30th St. Station or preferably University City. I do not want to move to NJ, even though the Cherry Hill/Haddonfield area would meet these needs. I'm looking at towns like Ardmore, Narberth, Wynnewood, and Media. We'd like to rent or buy a house with some character. What are some areas that we should consider? I realize I'm asking a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 05:54 AM

1,388 posts, read 909,333 times
The towns you mention are going to be fine for you (although the trip by car from Main Line towns - Ardmore, Wynnewood, Narberth - would involve the Schuylkill), but your bf's commute to Cherry Hill is going to be unpleasant to say the least. It's going to be difficult to find a place on the PA side with a reasonable commute to Cherry Hill, unless you look at places in the city (e.g. Northern Liberties or Fishtown). Those neighborhoods definitely have character and nice places to rent or buy, and you'd be along the Market Frankford L, which is a direct line from there to West Philly (all the way to 69th St via Market if necessary).

Old 01-27-2020, 06:31 AM

Thank you, I've considered West Mount Airy, East Falls, places like that. But the other issue is that I'm a country girl at heart and need a little bit of green space around me, a single home with a small lot, and I have a cat who likes to go outside. Moving to the city when we get closer to retirement is definitely a possibility but for now I need to be more in the suburbs.

Old 01-27-2020, 06:55 AM

752 posts, read 458,920 times
I'd try to find a location that avoids the Cherry Hill commuter having to traverse the city. Maybe something in Bucks or Delaware County close to the river?

Old 01-27-2020, 07:14 AM

Bucks county is way too far from Center City - you're still talking about an hour drive. Media is in Delaware county and on the list. The problem is, when you check Google maps for commuting times, the range is huge - 30-75 minutes. I'd love to know the *typical* commute on most days.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:34 AM

1,388 posts, read 909,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgodiva View Post
Thank you, I've considered West Mount Airy, East Falls, places like that. But the other issue is that I'm a country girl at heart and need a little bit of green space around me, a single home with a small lot, and I have a cat who likes to go outside. Moving to the city when we get closer to retirement is definitely a possibility but for now I need to be more in the suburbs.
I hate to say it, but based on that, I'd say your best bet is to stay in NJ (as you mentioned, Cherry Hill/Haddonfield area). Anywhere in the suburbs on the PA side that is accessible to West Philly is going to be a terrible commute to Cherry Hill. Cherry Hill to U-City isn't bad - Patco into the city then switch to Market-Frankford line. Those trains are easy to use and run all the time.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:36 AM

558 posts, read 299,084 times
Unfortunately, trying to find a 30 minute commute that is 10 minutes into NJ from the the PA side will be next to impossible unless you are willing to live in a close in, densely populated area.

You'll need to adjust commute time, desire for green space or both. What is your budget, BTW?

Old 01-27-2020, 10:20 AM

No idea of budget yet...we are only just now starting to discuss it.

NJ is just so full of strip malls, and so flat! Everything is on a highway. Aside from being closer to the shore, it's not very aesthetically appealing...

Old 01-27-2020, 10:25 AM

752 posts, read 458,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgodiva View Post

NJ is just so full of strip malls, and so flat! Everything is on a highway. Aside from being closer to the shore, it's not very aesthetically appealing...
If you are driving through South Jersey on the state routes, that's the impression that it gives. If you actually look at the residential areas, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:29 AM

That's true... But having grown up mainly in Berks county on a farm, then Swarthmore, and now Chester county, I am spoiled
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia