U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM

37 posts, read 26,704 times

Advertisements

Would it be insane to consider buying a home on Lincoln Drive in Mount Airy. We're coming from 2 acres in ct. Like some insight. TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:22 AM

37 posts, read 10,651 times
Explain why you think it would be insane. I think that part of Mt Airy is great, although it will definitely be downsizing for you.

Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM

5,654 posts, read 10,200,605 times
Lincoln Drive from around Wayne Ave to Mt. Pleasant is a major commuting artery, so while the houses along there can be huge and beautiful, you would be dealing with the traffic. From Mt. Pleasant up to Allen's Lane would be a nicer section for me.

Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM

37 posts, read 26,704 times
i didnt mean mt airy, i meant living on lincoln drive

Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM

2,063 posts, read 3,309,532 times
Insane is too strong of a word. My assumption would be if you are willing to accept the pitfalls of being on a major road, you can get a similar house at a discount to one on a quiet street.

Traffic noise, annoying to get into and out of your driveway, taking a walk means starting and ending in the noise, using your front porch becomes less interesting, and your front porch gets dirty quickly from the car exhaust.

That being said those houses are never empty, many people have accepted the tradeoffs.

Old Today, 10:06 AM

1,088 posts, read 1,113,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGGLES99 View Post
Would it be insane to consider buying a home on Lincoln Drive in Mount Airy. We're coming from 2 acres in ct. Like some insight. TIA.
Not insane, but not a 100% great idea, either. There's going to be a LOT of traffic, so there's more noise & dirt than you'd get on a side street. Leaving the property (getting into traffic from your driveway) would be problematic as well - you'll have to deal with rush hour traffic or, off-peak, people who go way beyond the speed limit. You might get to know the neighbors on either side of you, but likely not across the street (given the lot sizes and the width of the road).
The houses are almost uniformly beautiful and well kept, but there are likely other properties in less trafficked areas in Mt Airy that'd meet your needs.
One qualifier to the above: it applies to the part of Lincoln that's south of, say, Emlen or Carpenter. North of Mt Pleasant toward W Allens Ln, Lincoln is more dense and a bit calmer. FWIW, this section of Lincoln is the ONLY part where I'll not use a light to cross when I'm running (meaning, even though I hate the break in any momentum I might have, I'll jog in place at a red light farther south on Lincoln while waiting for a green light).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia