U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2020, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
648 posts, read 263,152 times
Reputation: 950

Advertisements

What do you think the next few decades hold for Mantua? As of yet, it gets a lot less attention than other neighborhoods. However, I think it has a lot going for it. The zoo, Art Museum, Drexel, an MFL station, Schuylkill River Trail, 30th St Station etc. are all within a mile. The views of the city and Art Museum from 31st St / Mantua Ave are pretty spectacular.

Overall, I think it is one of the cheapest yet still relatively safe (feeling, at least) inner neighborhoods. All of these amenities plus its close proximity to Center City may not go unnoticed. Do you think there's chance it'll start seeing inflow from outsiders other than Drexel student overflow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2020, 11:14 AM
 
Location: New York City
1,298 posts, read 753,458 times
Reputation: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
What do you think the next few decades hold for Mantua? As of yet, it gets a lot less attention than other neighborhoods. However, I think it has a lot going for it. The zoo, Art Museum, Drexel, an MFL station, Schuylkill River Trail, 30th St Station etc. are all within a mile. The views of the city and Art Museum from 31st St / Mantua Ave are pretty spectacular.

Overall, I think it is one of the cheapest yet still relatively safe (feeling, at least) inner neighborhoods. All of these amenities plus its close proximity to Center City may not go unnoticed. Do you think there's chance it'll start seeing inflow from outsiders other than Drexel student overflow?
Wouldn't exactly consider Mantua safe, or even safe-looking. It's pretty run down, and is right next to Belmont, which is very blighted and crime-ridden. I used to work right in that area, and while definitely not the worst, it certainly isn't good. It has great location though, so it definitely has potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2020, 11:21 AM
 
Location: West Philadelphia
37 posts, read 10,808 times
Reputation: 33
Both Mantua and West Powelton have been seeing some pretty huge changes lately. The Southeast portion of Mantua (closer to Spring Garden, closer to the rail yard) feels pretty okay to me in the daytime. I think these neighborhoods will continue to develop, but the PHA housing will probably stop it from reaching critical mass in Belmont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2020, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
648 posts, read 263,152 times
Reputation: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Wouldn't exactly consider Mantua safe, or even safe-looking. It's pretty run down, and is right next to Belmont, which is very blighted and crime-ridden. I used to work right in that area, and while definitely not the worst, it certainly isn't good. It has great location though, so it definitely has potential.
I lived there for two years and it always felt fine to me. It is pretty block by block though, areas east of 34th and south of Wallace feel better. The “feeling” of safety is always relative, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2020, 04:06 PM
 
4,354 posts, read 1,643,333 times
Reputation: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Wouldn't exactly consider Mantua safe, or even safe-looking. It's pretty run down, and is right next to Belmont, which is very blighted and crime-ridden. I used to work right in that area, and while definitely not the worst, it certainly isn't good. It has great location though, so it definitely has potential.
It's a lot more safe than southwest and north philly but definitely not as safe as the OP mentioned. My mom who lives in that area near 40th and Lancaster just sold her house because of someone getting killed on her block in October. The mantua area has what I would call........"occasional crime"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2020, 04:15 PM
 
4,354 posts, read 1,643,333 times
Reputation: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjozac View Post
Both Mantua and West Powelton have been seeing some pretty huge changes lately. The Southeast portion of Mantua (closer to Spring Garden, closer to the rail yard) feels pretty okay to me in the daytime. I think these neighborhoods will continue to develop, but the PHA housing will probably stop it from reaching critical mass in Belmont.
I think the safest areas of Mantua is 39th street to 34th street from Haverford to Lancaster. Anything past Haverford Ave is bad news
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2020, 07:54 PM
 
Location: North Jackson
2,063 posts, read 3,310,338 times
Reputation: 2754
Maybe it improves, but it will be at a snail's pace. Unless you're 20yo, you will be an old man/woman before you notice significant change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
648 posts, read 263,152 times
Reputation: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I think the safest areas of Mantua is 39th street to 34th street from Haverford to Lancaster. Anything past Haverford Ave is bad news
I don't think Haverford Ave actually feels all that great going West, but Spring Garden does. I often forget that Spring Garden is not technically included in Powelton Village.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM
 
4,354 posts, read 1,643,333 times
Reputation: 1853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I don't think Haverford Ave actually feels all that great going West, but Spring Garden does. I often forget that Spring Garden is not technically included in Powelton Village.
I agree and would actually would love to live along the spring garden strip all the way down to drexel. When I moved out of my mom's house there was nothing in that area available and I decided to move to center city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM
 
Location: New York City
1,298 posts, read 753,458 times
Reputation: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
It's a lot more safe than southwest and north philly but definitely not as safe as the OP mentioned. My mom who lives in that area near 40th and Lancaster just sold her house because of someone getting killed on her block in October. The mantua area has what I would call........"occasional crime"
I used to work right off that block where your mom lived around. While not the worst place in Philly, it definitely wasn't decent either. There were numerous shootings/murders happening right around there in the year I was working there.

It has good bones though. A commercial strip ripe for the taking with the right investment in Lancaster Ave., proximity to Center City and good access with the 10 trolley, and proximity to Penn/Drexel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top