U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2020, 09:45 AM

39 posts, read 79,093 times

Advertisements

Let me start with the questionnaire

When are you moving? Summer’21
Where are you coming from? Germany
Why are you moving? Retired from military
Where will you be working? Hopefully at a university/state college but can do any really, I am an instructional technologist and for a side gig, a digital strategist and content creator in the tourism niche. Hubby wants to be a Walmart greeter initially and then go from there. He’s a bit burnt out right now to know. Maybe gov, maybe grow a beard and brew beer

Last edited by scwilder; 02-13-2020 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: Post got cut off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 09:55 AM

4,850 posts, read 2,983,052 times
Quote:
He’s a bit burnt out right now to know. Maybe gov, maybe grow a beard and brew beer

lol funny.

Welcome back to the US! Probably the two biggest factors you didn't mention were what type of environment do you want to be in? City, suburbs, or rural areas? And do you have an idea of what your budget would be?

Old 02-13-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
lol funny.

Welcome back to the US! Probably the two biggest factors you didn't mention were what type of environment do you want to be in? City, suburbs, or rural areas? And do you have an idea of what your budget would be?

I can’t seem to post all that I wrote. I tried to edit but it only post that same paragraph above. I answered all the questions and more.

Old 02-13-2020, 01:00 PM

I don’t know if it’s my screen (I am on phone) or my post didn’t post all I wrote - even after an edit. So trying again here...

Have you been here yet? No but will visit before committing to the moving

Will you buy or rent? Rent first then buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House. If we make the same amount + retirement pay, $500k max. Ideally less of course
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? House/townhouse
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Kids will be high school and university.
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? Yes, two dogs
Do you want or need a yard? Need a yard
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Both. We like to live quietly on a daily basis but want easy access to the city for evening/weekend fun.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work - yes
Shopping - yes
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) - yes
Nightlife - jazz club or comedy club type
Train or subway stations - yes

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Diverse

Phillies, Pirates or Mets? What?

————

We’ve been in Europe 10yrs now, before Germany it’s England, just outside of Cambridge. And we live the village life but just minutes from a city via car/train. We have no clue where to go “home” to since we’re feeling a bit State-less at this point but we need to choose soon and I keep going back to the Philly area (Chapel Hill is the other contender) and a bit concerned about crime - if you Google it always has Philly as top 10. How bad is it? We were in Warrensburg, MO 10yrs ago and some parts of KC isn’t great but I never felt unsafe going to the shopping/entertainment area of KC. Is it like that in Philly? As long as you don’t go to the bad part it’s ok?

I used to live in Boise, the north end. Loved it but Boise is middle of nowhere in terms of travelling. Flights in/out are spendy also. But I adore the downtown living environment. Hubby is from outside of Memphis. The downtown music scene is fun but just not into the overall vibe and southern weather. KC has some nice pockets but we’re not fans of tornadoes. Santa Fe is lovely, but not into NM in general, Charlottesville is cute but housing is spendy and schools meh.

I keep going back to Philly because it feels like it has many of things we’d enjoy. Old downtown charms, independent shops, farmers markets, public transports ,microbreweries, good public schools, direct flights to Europe from a few airports (I want to keep my side gig going), and good state unies.

We want to live in one of the many lovely walkable suburbs or town within an hour of Philly (one with a train station) and good high school. I did a quick look on Zillow and I saw many choices (Ambler, Malvern, Phoenixville and even Lancaster area). But I’d like to feel safe when I am in Philly, either visiting or maybe working - I’d love to be able to collaborate with Visit Philly for example in promoting the city.

Also, how is the job market there in general? I see openings on a few jobs websites and it seems promising. We may move again some day but for now, besides the crime dilemma, Philly area seems it.

Old 02-13-2020, 01:46 PM

1,223 posts, read 710,206 times
Welcome! Philadelphia is a thriving city and is going through a complete renaissance.

Within the city there are most certainly pockets of crime, but overall violent crime is limited to certain neighborhoods and most of it is committed between people who know each other prior to the violence. Random violent crime in the city is not rampant.

Center City (downtown) Philadelphia is the 3rd largest downtown in the nation and has never felt more vibrant, nor has there been so much going on! (Events, Festivals, Shows, Concerts, etc).

To many outsiders they say Center City feels like they are in an intimate neighborhood of Manhattan/NYC when they are walking the streets. (think lower manhattan).

Southeast Pennsylvania is most definitely in the top 5 best suburban areas in the USA. The quality of life is hard to beat, and throw in the character from its charming historic towns and architecture, and the very strong transit infrastructure and top notch schools and it is hard to match.

In terms of affordability, the suburbs are getting pricier but your budget will definitely afford many options.

Some suburban areas I would consider are West Chester, Malvern, Phoenixville, Ambler and Jenkintown. These areas will offer the mix you are looking for.

Good luck!

Also Lancaster is an absolutely beautiful very historic small city. You do have Amtrak access to Philadelphia and NYC for the days you want that big city feel. But Lancaster is also very vibrant with a strong arts community. It also has an Apple Store and a Whole Foods to give you a sense of its amenities.

Many people who I have taken there to visit tell me it reminds them of Burlington, VT, and many even have said a nicer and more vibrant version.

Old 02-13-2020, 01:48 PM

409 posts, read 153,947 times
No offense but you seem overly impacted by the potential of crime. Philadelphia has large swaths of poor, high crime areas but there are also large swaths of beautiful, safe areas, including an expansive core. I’m not sure why you would go to high crime areas so that being said, I think the safety experience should not be much better or worse than any other major city in the US including the likes of NYC, Chicago, and DC.

Old 02-14-2020, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
No offense but you seem overly impacted by the potential of crime. Philadelphia has large swaths of poor, high crime areas but there are also large swaths of beautiful, safe areas, including an expansive core. I’m not sure why you would go to high crime areas so that being said, I think the safety experience should not be much better or worse than any other major city in the US including the likes of NYC, Chicago, and DC.
Thanks Rowhomecity for the detailed info!

PHL10, I only am asking due to the news and stats of the city. Doing my research since I want to make sure my family is safe. I figured it’s like many cities, certain pockets will be higher and just avoid it. Also, I’ve only visited the US once since the 10yrs we’re stationed overseas. So a bit out of touch.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:42 AM

1,314 posts, read 758,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scwilder View Post
Thanks Rowhomecity for the detailed info!

PHL10, I only am asking due to the news and stats of the city. Doing my research since I want to make sure my family is safe. I figured it’s like many cities, certain pockets will be higher and just avoid it. Also, I’ve only visited the US once since the 10yrs we’re stationed overseas. So a bit out of touch.
You'll never have any reason to go to the areas where the vast majority of crime happens (unless you want to buy dope). You'll be spending your time in the parts of the city/region that are as nice and safe as any other big city in America. Philadelphia is truly a gem of a city and located in the heart of the best region in the country.

Old Today, 12:53 AM

356 posts, read 220,655 times
At your price range I'd look at Media, Swarthmore, Ridley Park. All are directly on train lines and have vibrant downtowns (Media is the largest downtown). All are about 30-40 min by train (sometimes they run express).

Quote:
Originally Posted by scwilder View Post
I don’t know if it’s my screen (I am on phone) or my post didn’t post all I wrote - even after an edit. So trying again here...

Have you been here yet? No but will visit before committing to the moving

Will you buy or rent? Rent first then buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? House. If we make the same amount + retirement pay, $500k max. Ideally less of course
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? House/townhouse
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Kids will be high school and university.
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? Yes, two dogs
Do you want or need a yard? Need a yard
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Both. We like to live quietly on a daily basis but want easy access to the city for evening/weekend fun.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work - yes
Shopping - yes
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) - yes
Nightlife - jazz club or comedy club type
Train or subway stations - yes

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Diverse

Phillies, Pirates or Mets? What?

————

We’ve been in Europe 10yrs now, before Germany it’s England, just outside of Cambridge. And we live the village life but just minutes from a city via car/train. We have no clue where to go “home” to since we’re feeling a bit State-less at this point but we need to choose soon and I keep going back to the Philly area (Chapel Hill is the other contender) and a bit concerned about crime - if you Google it always has Philly as top 10. How bad is it? We were in Warrensburg, MO 10yrs ago and some parts of KC isn’t great but I never felt unsafe going to the shopping/entertainment area of KC. Is it like that in Philly? As long as you don’t go to the bad part it’s ok?

I used to live in Boise, the north end. Loved it but Boise is middle of nowhere in terms of travelling. Flights in/out are spendy also. But I adore the downtown living environment. Hubby is from outside of Memphis. The downtown music scene is fun but just not into the overall vibe and southern weather. KC has some nice pockets but we’re not fans of tornadoes. Santa Fe is lovely, but not into NM in general, Charlottesville is cute but housing is spendy and schools meh.

I keep going back to Philly because it feels like it has many of things we’d enjoy. Old downtown charms, independent shops, farmers markets, public transports ,microbreweries, good public schools, direct flights to Europe from a few airports (I want to keep my side gig going), and good state unies.

We want to live in one of the many lovely walkable suburbs or town within an hour of Philly (one with a train station) and good high school. I did a quick look on Zillow and I saw many choices (Ambler, Malvern, Phoenixville and even Lancaster area). But I’d like to feel safe when I am in Philly, either visiting or maybe working - I’d love to be able to collaborate with Visit Philly for example in promoting the city.

Also, how is the job market there in general? I see openings on a few jobs websites and it seems promising. We may move again some day but for now, besides the crime dilemma, Philly area seems it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia