U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think University City will overtake Center City and become the main central business district
Yes 1 3.45%
No 28 96.55%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 04:39 PM

8,514 posts, read 10,805,007 times

Advertisements

University City seems to have so much potential. It is already a better transit location for Amtrak, SEPTA Rail, NJT, etc. $2 billion dollars worth of construction is expected to start this year in University City. When Amazon was selecting the location for their new headquarters, University City was preferred over Center City. Germantown used to be the 2nd largest central business district in Philly for a long time until University City surpassed it. The number of new restaurants keeps growing every year in University City and the area continues to become more cosmopolitan.

With all of the big projects and continued growth of University City, do you think University City will overtake Center City as the main central business district in the coming future?

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2019/...t-2020-report/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 05:16 PM

4,885 posts, read 2,988,319 times
Personally, I don't really view it as a separate central business district. I see it as more of an extension of the existing one. We are seeing a lot of development along West Market now creating more cohesion between Center City and University City. I do think Drexel Square turned out pretty nicely. The Schuylkill Yards has the potential to be the crown jewel of our region. I took this picture of the square after they planted the Redwoods.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:01 PM

229 posts, read 134,901 times
No. And also, no.

University City can become a second downtown, or an extension of the current one, but it's never going to become "the" downtown at the expense of the current one. Center City is, and always will be, the true downtown of Philadelphia. You mention transit, but even on accessibility alone, Center City is miles ahead of West Philly. I like West Philly and am glad it's doing so well, but let's temper our expectations here.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:20 AM

409 posts, read 154,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
No. And also, no.

University City can become a second downtown, or an extension of the current one, but it's never going to become "the" downtown at the expense of the current one. Center City is, and always will be, the true downtown of Philadelphia. You mention transit, but even on accessibility alone, Center City is miles ahead of West Philly. I like West Philly and am glad it's doing so well, but let's temper our expectations here.
For all the reasons you mention, I agree. All three heavy rail lines, all the subway surface lines, and all the regional rail lines runs through Center City.

That being said, the migration of the business district west over the last 200+ years is interesting. It obviously started on the water front and then migrated to South Board and then migrated to West Market. A continued march west wouldn't be unprecedented but it certainly doesn't make logistical sense.

Somewhat related, although I think the Navy Yard will never contend with either Center City or UCity as far as numbers but it does seem to be headed to becoming a very substantial employment node.

Old 02-14-2020, 07:32 AM

1,332 posts, read 761,480 times
Have they gotten firm commitments to build any of those towers in the renderings, or is it all just what they hope will eventually come? You'd need a lot of new (and deep pocketed) businesses to move to Philly to make all of those financially feasible.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:19 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,503,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
Have they gotten firm commitments to build any of those towers in the renderings, or is it all just what they hope will eventually come? You'd need a lot of new (and deep pocketed) businesses to move to Philly to make all of those financially feasible.
I believe the two towers proposed along JFK (where the Mega Bus is) are actually happening, although Brandywine is still secretive. Everything beyond those is speculation at this point.

I do agree, its an expensive move to relocate to the city of Philadelphia, which is why there is a lot of musical chairs rather than companies relocating from outside the region. And I bet companies relocating from outside of the region would find the suburbs more attractive from a financial standpoint. Something the city really needs to work on...

However, there has been a ton of startup type growth in University City in the medical / science sectors, I hope those companies choose to stay in Philadelphia and not run off when they become huge. Hopefully the city doesn't mess that up either...

All in all, 2020 has been a very good year for construction and large project proposals, I just hope city council has a few thinkers that see Philadelphia as an international place to do business rather than the new short sighted, under researched push for citywide rent control from the new progressive council members.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:31 AM

10,188 posts, read 5,867,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
University City seems to have so much potential. It is already a better transit location for Amtrak, SEPTA Rail, NJT, etc. $2 billion dollars worth of construction is expected to start this year in University City. When Amazon was selecting the location for their new headquarters, University City was preferred over Center City. Germantown used to be the 2nd largest central business district in Philly for a long time until University City surpassed it. The number of new restaurants keeps growing every year in University City and the area continues to become more cosmopolitan.

With all of the big projects and continued growth of University City, do you think University City will overtake Center City as the main central business district in the coming future?

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2019/...t-2020-report/
Was CC ever considered in what the city was offering Amazon?

Old 02-14-2020, 09:23 AM

248 posts, read 127,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Was CC ever considered in what the city was offering Amazon?

No, there were two University City sites and the Navy Yard.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:14 AM

636 posts, read 441,029 times
Hey, if our city does it right, the economy stays strong, and we continues on the current trajectory, all of the areas listed above will boom. U City, Navy Yard, CC, N. 3rd St. as tech corridor, parts of South Philly, the new ports and docks on the Delaware, the Stadium District, etc...

All major cities have multiple geographic areas of prosperity with slightly different identities. Wondering if one section of our city will "defeat" another section is truly old Philly mindset

And before people kill me, I realize no one was suggesting defeating one area of the city. Just tongue in cheek folks...

Old 02-14-2020, 11:35 AM

6,143 posts, read 5,503,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Hey, if our city does it right, the economy stays strong, and we continues on the current trajectory, all of the areas listed above will boom. U City, Navy Yard, CC, N. 3rd St. as tech corridor, parts of South Philly, the new ports and docks on the Delaware, the Stadium District, etc...

All major cities have multiple geographic areas of prosperity with slightly different identities. Wondering if one section of our city will "defeat" another section is truly old Philly mindset

And before people kill me, I realize no one was suggesting defeating one area of the city. Just tongue in cheek folks...
And now the potential to redevelop hundreds of acres of land at the refinery site into new industrial uses. I know this could be decades away, but Google is constructing new robotic warehouses on industrial land outside of Amsterdam, would be cool if that happened here.
Not a massive amount of jobs for the actual end result, but it could increase Philadelphia's presence as an industrial hub among many other economic sectors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or