Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2020, 08:55 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times

Advertisements

If you wanted to get into real estate, with say a duplex....but you have to stay at the very low end of a purchase price or investment...
-- would you do it in Philly -- or a neighboring county (1st choice DelCo, 2nd choice MontCo)
There is a twin house right in my neighborhood that's in my price range. But it's in Philly.

-- or would you not do it at all...IF let's say you could only afford a cash purchase of about 125K
(I don't want to have to cough up a mortgage payment if I have no tenant)

-- I could go higher but want to hold back a substantial emergency fund. I'm not a risk taker by nature. But monthly rental income sure sounds tempting.

-- I know property investors in Philly and they tell me it's more tenant friendly than neighboring counties. And of course being a landlord, I'd rather have ordinances in MY favor, not the tenant's

OR...for only 125K would you just buy one house, instead of a duplex.
Would you even deal with real estate or put you cash into the market? (which -- being a different kind of "investment" won't bring in the monthly nugget that rents would be.

Thanks.....

I've gone back an forth for years about getting into rentals. And now I'm back to thinking about it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 08:27 AM

60 posts, read 63,940 times
Start reading some entry level investing books -Rich Dad /Poor Dad, Intelligent Investor, Invest in Real Estate.. and start listening to Bigger Pockets podcast.

It sounds like you really need to understand some fundamentals first.

Old 03-09-2020, 06:45 PM

I understand the fundamentals. I've been very close to others who have had, and have, rental houses and apts. I know very well what some landlords go through. The plus of the income. And the negative of having a bad tenant.

I just have always debated whether I wanted to be a landlord myself -- especially in Philly, which is a tenant friendly city. And especially at what I'd consider the low end of the rental market. I know there are ways to mitigate that -- like section 8.

But again, I'm just not sure I want to be a landlord so I thought I'd ask for opinions about landlord experiences at dare I say "the low end of the spectrum."

Old 03-09-2020, 07:21 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,553,097 times
With real estate it is all about location, location and you guessed it right, location. As far as letting laws are concerned, regardless of location, they always favor the tenants and therefore you want to get good tenants.

Good tenants in turn want to live in a good house, so if you want the least amount of headache, then you will want to buy a good property. You also want to buy in a good neighborhood where most neighbors are home owners.

With the impending downturn, now might be a good time to scout for properties. It's a lot more work than you think but once you get a good property you'll be glad. Make sure you run your numbers to maximize your returns.

Old 03-09-2020, 07:56 PM

Lord, knows my cash isn't making me any money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia