Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2020, 10:21 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,259,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Far more people in Northeastern New Jersey became seriously ill than your neighbors to the south. I live in suburban Southern New Jersey in an area which would be called the sticks by most Philadelphians. I haven't had a problem with social distancing.
You must be quoting someone else’s post. My post you're linked to is about Gov Murphy’s quarantine for people from hotspots. Unless you want SJ to quarantine people coming in from North Jersey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 03:49 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
Hi...I'm trying to find PA stats on resurgence possibilities for Fall/Winter. Anyone read anything? As a high-risk person, I'm trying to determine if I should return to teaching at a Juvenile detention center in the Fall (most of my kids are from impoverished areas). THANKS
Not sure if this applies to you but the uptick within Philadelphia itself, which might put our going green on 7/3 in jeopardy, concerns cases in young people.

Old 06-26-2020, 10:47 PM

1,213 posts, read 955,809 times
Default Covid

Merged thread starts here

As we argue about racial justice (absolutely necessary and long time coming) and Trump's ridiculous comments (as we should), in other news, the NOVEL coronavirus is blowing up around the Americas. Does anyone really think the NE will stay tamped down?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-27-2020 at 05:59 AM..

Old 06-26-2020, 11:17 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
As we argue about racial justice (absolutely necessary and long time coming) and Trump's ridiculous comments (as we should), in other news, the NOVEL coronavirus is blowing up around the Americas. Does anyone really think the NE will stay tamped down?
Given the dismal prospects elsewhere in the country, it may turn out that all of the hard work and sacrifices we made in the NE will be in vain.

Old 06-27-2020, 12:09 AM

1,213 posts, read 955,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Given the dismal prospects elsewhere in the country, it may turn out that all of the hard work and sacrifices we made in the NE will be in vain.
I'm starting to think that. I'm buckling up for a rough fall/winter. Really f'ing blows...

Old 06-27-2020, 05:34 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,350,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Not sure if this applies to you but the uptick within Philadelphia itself, which might put our going green on 7/3 in jeopardy, conbcerns cases in young people.
Thanks for responding, kyb01...yep: doesn't surprise me about the uptick in young people who believe they are indestructible. We often have kids from Philly in our facility which is in Delaware County (i.e., they get arrested in Upper Darby or other places withinn the county). Tough for me to make a decision, as I miss the kids SO much...but at the same time, I might not survive this virus (63 & immune impaired). Repped you & thanks again.

Old 06-27-2020, 07:03 AM

558 posts, read 299,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Merged thread starts here

I have thought from the outset that opening things up would inevitably lead to a new spike. Warm weather, being cooped up like chickens for months, what else do you expect? The question is whether we can contain it again.

How bad has it gotten? A Republican governor in Texas shut down all the bars. That's how bad.

Old 06-27-2020, 08:21 AM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
You must be quoting someone else’s post. My post you're linked to is about Gov Murphy’s quarantine for people from hotspots. Unless you want SJ to quarantine people coming in from North Jersey?
Sorry about that.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:11 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
I have thought from the outset that opening things up would inevitably lead to a new spike. Warm weather, being cooped up like chickens for months, what else do you expect? The question is whether we can contain it again.

How bad has it gotten? A Republican governor in Texas shut down all the bars. That's how bad.
It's a shame that the public-health response to the coronavirus has become politicized, for had it not been, I'll bet that Republican governor would have heeded the pleas of the people running his state's large cities sooner.

But I blame Trump primarily for poisoning this well. I don't need to run the chronology again, do I?

However, given what Trump has done with others who undercut the message of the day he wants to send, I'm surprised that Dr. Anthony Fauci is still around. He's definitely the grownup in the room during those coronavirus briefings, and the messages he has delivered have been focused on the crisis rather than the Prsident's re-election. They were smart to leave the President out of yesterday's task force briefing, but then again, his own mind has probably wandered off to planning another rally that will lead to a cluster where he held it three weeks later.

OT aside: Those TV ads he's running where he's taking credit for the "2 million jobs added" last month — "the greatest increase in history" — really rankle me, for those jobs aren't a sign of a real recovery. Rather, they're evidence that the Paycheck Protection Program did what it was designed to do. (A furloughed employee counts as a job lost; when the furloughed employee is called back to work, that's a job added (back). My own job disappeared for the week just ending and will disappear again the week of July 20.) Since we're still getting bankruptcy filings from businesses now reopening, and the entire hospitality sector still remains in intensive care, there's no guarantee that those jobs won't vanish again when the PPP money runs out.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:08 AM

558 posts, read 299,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
It's a shame that the public-health response to the coronavirus has become politicized, for had it not been, I'll bet that Republican governor would have heeded the pleas of the people running his state's large cities sooner.

But I blame Trump primarily for poisoning this well. I don't need to run the chronology again, do I?

However, given what Trump has done with others who undercut the message of the day he wants to send, I'm surprised that Dr. Anthony Fauci is still around. He's definitely the grownup in the room during those coronavirus briefings, and the messages he has delivered have been focused on the crisis rather than the Prsident's re-election. They were smart to leave the President out of yesterday's task force briefing, but then again, his own mind has probably wandered off to planning another rally that will lead to a cluster where he held it three weeks later.

OT aside: Those TV ads he's running where he's taking credit for the "2 million jobs added" last month — "the greatest increase in history" — really rankle me, for those jobs aren't a sign of a real recovery. Rather, they're evidence that the Paycheck Protection Program did what it was designed to do. (A furloughed employee counts as a job lost; when the furloughed employee is called back to work, that's a job added (back). My own job disappeared for the week just ending and will disappear again the week of July 20.) Since we're still getting bankruptcy filings from businesses now reopening, and the entire hospitality sector still remains in intensive care, there's no guarantee that those jobs won't vanish again when the PPP money runs out.
It is a shame the response has become politicized but that seems to be the way of everything these days. Alliegance to Trump demonstrated by refusal to wear a mask, give me a break. That is basic protection, for ourselves and those around is. Still, these are the times we live in, and the Divider in Chief would not have it any other way. After all, his primary strategy from day one has been to divide and conquer...

But I digress. You are spot on about the jobs report. The stimulus has definitely helped a lot. BUT the underlying double digit unemployment has and will severely impact consumer spending which accounts for 70% of our GDP. Add to that the tremendous number of small businesses that will reopen only to shutter down permanently (think retail and restaurants at 50% capacity) and you'll get even more job loss and less consumer spending.

The vast majority of economists do not expect us to be at pre-Covid activity until late 2021, or later. This is a deep hole we are in. Unlike 2008-09, the job losses are in the tens of millions. And just last week, another 1.5 million filled new unemployment claims...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia