Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2020, 03:54 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times

Advertisements

If he's leaving at the end of the month -- about 10 days...... for that amount of time he can leave that encampment right where it is. He'll get a job -- a nice fat paying job somewhere, or consult for big bucks.

Sure it'd be nice, and the right and principled thing to do, to wrap up the encampment issue before he goes. And it may happen. But I wouldn't take a chance and hold my breath waiting for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2020, 07:56 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
If he's leaving at the end of the month -- about 10 days...... for that amount of time he can leave that encampment right where it is. He'll get a job -- a nice fat paying job somewhere, or consult for big bucks.

Sure it'd be nice, and the right and principled thing to do, to wrap up the encampment issue before he goes. And it may happen. But I wouldn't take a chance and hold my breath waiting for it.
Has the encampment gotten larger?

I don't know what Seattle and New York did as alternatives to the encampments, but its odd that Philadelphia cannot figure this out when other cities already have...

Old 07-23-2020, 04:11 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,749,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Has the encampment gotten larger?

I don't know what Seattle and New York did as alternatives to the encampments, but its odd that Philadelphia cannot figure this out when other cities already have...
I read in the Philadelphia Magazine something about relocating them to Lancaster County in tiny homes

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2020/...-homelessness/

Old 07-24-2020, 06:40 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,196 times
Also from PhillyMag, a bit of good and surprising news: more dining openings along the Delaware. It sounds like FCM Hospitality is taking these times to develop creative ideas. I hope it works out well for them, and as we all know more vibrancy and greenery along the Delaware is much welcomed:
https://www.phillymag.com/foobooz/20...-river-stroll/

Pennsylvania is not fairing as poorly as much of the country at this moment, but it could get bad if we aren't serious about precautions. I want Gov. Wolf to get as serious as Cuomo is about enforcement of the quarantine for out-of-state visitors from spiking states. It should be mandatory, not recommended. If we stay serious about these measures, hopefully businesses like this can continue to thrive.

Last edited by Muinteoir; 07-24-2020 at 06:52 AM..

Old 07-24-2020, 08:52 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,183,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I read in the Philadelphia Magazine something about relocating them to Lancaster County in tiny homes

https://www.phillymag.com/news/2020/...-homelessness/
Just a quick correction. They wouldn't relocate the homeless to Lancaster. That's where City Council went to tour the facilities of tiny home builders, but the tiny homes would be here (if they succeed in changing Philly's zoning codes so that they are no longer illegal).

Old 07-24-2020, 09:57 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,335,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Just a quick correction. They wouldn't relocate the homeless to Lancaster. That's where City Council went to tour the facilities of tiny home builders, but the tiny homes would be here (if they succeed in changing Philly's zoning codes so that they are no longer illegal).
Where are the site options for these tiny homes?

Near PHA offices? since they cleared all that land.

Old 07-24-2020, 01:21 PM

14,174 posts, read 9,064,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Where are the site options for these tiny homes?

Near PHA offices? since they cleared all that land.
There's a Sixties leftover, Cornell grad, who has been touting a tiny-house village and cooperative gardens as the way to redevelop the Logan Triangle.

Given that the developer the PRA has picked to redevelop that patch of cleared land hasn't done anything to advance their plans yet, it might not be a bad idea if we let this guy run with it.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:50 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,632 times
Quote:

Here's the architects prospectus/

Old 07-27-2020, 04:48 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,070 times
Quote:
So if that happened, would that mean eventually there could be tiny homes for anyone within the city? Or would it just be city owned for the homeless?

Old 07-27-2020, 05:23 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,070 times
Miami Marlins came to town and now left 4 players who tested positive here under quarantine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia