Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2020, 01:45 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It's Tea Party 2.0. Supported by right-wing nutters. It won't have any impact on what Wolf does. Chances are some of them aren't from PA.
And we know how the original Tea Party worked out for them

I understand the frustration of no work, sitting at home, etc. we are all in the same boat, but this blatant disregard for public safety measures mixed with the scary radical, conservative, religious ideologies is infuriating to me.

I am not wishing harm on these people, but what happens if they all contract the virus? Then what?... Who will they blame? Probably Governor Wolfe...

A lack of education combined with brainwash is a scary thing.... This event is now bringing out the worst in people. (there is a lot of good out there too, unfortunately the bad is getting all the attention now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 01:49 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
yeah but its until May 8th which is on a Friday

Best news report i heard in weeks
Get ready for it being extended if confirmed cases don't stabilize.

I still think it will be June.

It really sounds like you either do not understand or don't care. None of us like being inconvenienced. None of us like not being able to easily do things we did before. None of us like wearing masks. And extroverts hate social distancing . But it's necessary.

I know two people who have been sick from covid but, thank goodness, they are recovering.

Old 04-20-2020, 01:55 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,756,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
And we know how the original Tea Party worked out for them

I understand the frustration of no work, sitting at home, etc. we are all in the same boat, but this blatant disregard for public safety measures mixed with the scary radical, conservative, religious ideologies is infuriating to me.

I am not wishing harm on these people, but what happens if they all contract the virus? Then what?... Who will they blame? Probably Governor Wolfe...

A lack of education combined with brainwash is a scary thing.... This event is now bringing out the worst in people. (there is a lot of good out there too, unfortunately the bad is getting all the attention now).
Well, yes. Just another example of how some Americans believe "freedom" means doing anything one wants.

They'll find a way to blame Democrats if they get sick.

Old 04-20-2020, 04:54 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Regardless of one's opinions on the shutdown, there's no reason to be confident in that date, The Gov has extended the shutdown to at least May 8th. It's a smart tactic not to overwhelm the public but give them shorter, digestible windows knowing that it will likely go well beyond. When that date gets close, move it back another week or two. Remember that the first date was March 30th if I recall correctly.
Never heard nothing about March 30th when CDC recommended May 6th from the beginning

Old 04-20-2020, 04:56 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times
Quote:

It really sounds like you either do not understand or don't care. None of us like being inconvenienced. None of us like not being able to easily do things we did before. None of us like wearing masks. And extroverts hate social distancing . But it's necessary.

I know two people who have been sick from covid but, thank goodness, they are recovering.
Some people are wearing "stylish masks" which is annoying because you accepting this crazy new life. Just wear a plain mask to go to work or the market or pharmacy

Old 04-21-2020, 06:30 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,298,378 times
Quote:

Many area's of the state may open up after the 8th, but doubtful for Philly and the surrounding burbs. We are still considered a "hot-spot". About a week ago there was the Dean at Penn Med predicting a tsunami of new cases in May. Have not heard if he has since back tracked on that, but sure hope he is wrong.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:23 AM

1,525 posts, read 1,183,073 times
Quote:
Probably a lot. There were , more than likely, no anti- vaxers in the early 1960s. But if we can establish herd immunity, wrt Covid-19, we will probably be okay going forward.
I'm not an anti-vaxer and I get my flu shot every year. But if they rush something to market without it being properly vetted, it's not going in my body. No way. Sorry.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:26 AM

3,143 posts, read 1,599,309 times
Quote:

I wish people would analyze statistics before they make blanket statements. The better strategy is for people over age 65 to self-isolate. This could result in a marked decrease in hospitalizations as this group represents 39% of hospitalizations. Half of all deaths are people in skilled nursing facilities. The problem as I see it, many of the over age 65 do not want to self-isolate; they would rather non-essential businesses be closed so they do not get infected by someone.

How is forloughing my thirty something nephew and keeping his children out of school going to affect the significant number of people over 65 if they self-isolate and those getting infected in skilled nursing facilities?

If flattening the curve is the goal to decrease hospitalizations, it better to target those most likely to require hospitalizations than keeping a significant majority of citizens out of work.

In Pennsylvania

Hospitalization Rates by Age Range to Date
​Age Range
​Percent of Cases
​0-29 ​2%
30-49 5%
50-64 ​9%
​65-79 19%
​80+ 20%

COVID-19 Cases Associated with Nursing Homes and Personal Care Homes to Date
Facility County Number of Facilities Number of Cases Among Residents Number of Cases Among Employees Number of Deaths
Adams 1 7 1 1
Allegheny 31 179 57 39
Beaver 3 181 11 30
Berks 15 345 47 43
Bucks 38 297 56 52
Butler 3 10 9 2
Carbon 2 29 2 7
Chester 19 159 19 30
Clarion 1 1 0 0
Clearfield 2 2 0 0
Columbia 1 13 2 0
Cumberland 3 64 10 2
Dauphin 3 54 4 2
Delaware 37 427 45 68
Erie 2 2 0 0
Fayette 1 3 0 1
Indiana 2 11 0 4
Lackawanna 9 227 18 24
Lancaster 22 269 56 50
Lebanon 1 8 1 0
Lehigh 17 158 29 13
Luzerne 12 171 15 27
Lycoming 2 0 2 0
Mercer 1 1 0 0
Monroe 7 66 18 18
Montgomery 65 838 21 138
Northampton 12 221 50 19
Perry 1 4 0 0
Philadelphia 47 795 3 89
Pike 1 18 1 1
Schuylkill 1 1 0 0
Susquehanna 3 42 3 4
Washington 3 6 1 1
Westmoreland 4 85 22 17
York 2 4 1 0
Pennsylvania 374 4698 504 682

https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/dis...ges/Cases.aspx

Last edited by Maddie104; 04-21-2020 at 09:48 AM..

Old 04-21-2020, 10:26 AM

558 posts, read 299,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I wish people would analyze statistics before they make blanket statements. The better strategy is for people over age 65 to self-isolate. This could result in a marked decrease in hospitalizations as this group represents 39% of hospitalizations. Half of all deaths are people in skilled nursing facilities. The problem as I see it, many of the over age 65 do not want to self-isolate; they would rather non-essential businesses be closed so they do not get infected by someone.

How is forloughing my thirty something nephew and keeping his children out of school going to affect the significant number of people over 65 if they self-isolate and those getting infected in skilled nursing facilities?

If flattening the curve is the goal to decrease hospitalizations, it better to target those most likely to require hospitalizations than keeping a significant majority of citizens out of work.

https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/dis...ges/Cases.aspx
You raise an interesting idea. Self-quarantine for those over 65 is one possibility I don't see being tossed around much. Maybe because some would see it as discriminatory. Maybe because those people are historically the ones who actually bother to vote. But I don't believe the goal is to reduce hospital admissions, the goal is to have fewer people die.

OK, I understand the need to get out of the house and the need to gather, especially for young people. And for millions lviing paycheck to paycheck the loss of a paycheck is an economic nightmare. But the curve is not flat here, especially in SE PA. Montgomery county alone is adding 100-200 cases daily.

What I fear more than anything is a second wave hitting us hard and reversing the slowdown from our current restrictions. We can end up right back at square one if the normalization isn't handled right. As badly as I need a haircut and would love a massage, those are not things I would even consider now. Yet in Georgia, that is phase 1 of the reopening.... How stupid is that?

Old 04-21-2020, 10:40 AM

3,143 posts, read 1,599,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
You raise an interesting idea. Self-quarantine for those over 65 is one possibility I don't see being tossed around much. Maybe because some would see it as discriminatory. Maybe because those people are historically the ones who actually bother to vote. But I don't believe the goal is to reduce hospital admissions, the goal is to have fewer people die.

OK, I understand the need to get out of the house and the need to gather, especially for young people. And for millions lviing paycheck to paycheck the loss of a paycheck is an economic nightmare. But the curve is not flat here, especially in SE PA. Montgomery county alone is adding 100-200 cases daily.

What I fear more than anything is a second wave hitting us hard and reversing the slowdown from our current restrictions. We can end up right back at square one if the normalization isn't handled right. As badly as I need a haircut and would love a massage, those are not things I would even consider now. Yet in Georgia, that is phase 1 of the reopening.... How stupid is that?
You prove my point about the fallacy of looking at gross numbers only. Montgomery has a large number of cases, but Montgomery County has the most skilled nursing home facilities in the state; more than Philadelphia -- 66 vs. 49. So a 879 of the cases to date are from skilled nursing home facilities presumably the most severe cases requiring hospitalization as 50% of the deaths in Pennsylvania is from skilled nursing infections.

We are going to have infections until we have a vaccine or herd immunity. So, what Wolf is doing is not going to decrease overall infections he is merely delaying the inevitable. Many people will get infected with mild symptoms and that is what we want. This helps us get to herd immunity. What we don't want is people getting infections that require hospitalization. The goal has always been to flatten the curve so healthcare facilities are not overwhelmed with infections requiring hospitalizations all at once. This impacts the death rate.

The strategy of keeping businesses closed is hurting many people in so many way and it cannot be justified based on the statistics of who is requiring hospitalizations.

By the way, an action is not considered discriminatory if there is a fact based justification, i.e., statistics back up that a certain group requires more hospitalizations and during a pandemic it would create a public health crisis. In any event, self-isolation is based on the premise that you are responsible for your own self-care. It is not reasonable to expect healthy young people to remain unemployed so the over 65 age group does not get infected and impact hospital resources.

Montgomery 3154 12482 223

Montgomery 66 879 26 151

Last edited by Maddie104; 04-21-2020 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia