Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2020, 10:50 AM

3,145 posts, read 1,602,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
One of my cousins is an emergency room nurse at Einstein Health/ Medical Center. He has not said anything about lacking proper PPE yet.

But, the issue of getting adequate PPE across the board has been swirling around for quite a while now. Who knows how/when it will get better?
"Who know how/when it will get better?" is not acceptable. I fear this form of complacency from PA residents who feel the so called plan for re-opening PA is great. We should be getting updates like this:

"Personal Protective Equipment (PPE): In the past two weeks alone, Rhode Island has received shipments totaling more than 1.5 million surgical masks, 90% of which have come from the private market. That brings the state's total on hand to nearly 2 million surgical masks. This will allow healthcare workers in hospitals, nursing homes, urgent care centers, and sites that are serving as Respiratory Clinics to change out surgical masks on a daily basis. • Field hospitals: Over the weekend, work on the field hospitals at the Rhode Island Convention Center and the former Citizens building in Cranston was completed, adding almost 1,000 beds to the state's capacity. • Frontline housing: The state has partnered with Brown University to provide free single-occupancy dormitory housing to frontline workers. Brown has made more than 700 rooms available to the state for free. This program is specifically for medical personnel, first responders, members of public safety and congregate care and home care workers. This is not for people who have tested positive for coronavirus or have related symptoms. Workers who are interested in accessing the free housing option should contact their employer."

https://www.ri.gov/press/view/38186

Last edited by Maddie104; 04-25-2020 at 11:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
Thank you, I was looking for the number of tests conducted in PA and couldn't find it. I suppose it's below 1% because of how restrictive the protocol for who gets tested is. With limited screening like that, we are a very long way towards being ready to reopen.

I noticed in the state reopening requirements that both extensive testing AND contact tracing must be in place before reopening. Would love to know the criteria for that. Conducting a reliable antibody test for the area should also be on that list. If the NY numbers are legit, the fatality rate for infections could be as low as 0.7%. How many of us are already inflected and don't know it?

My wife is a nurse and is panicked. She had to go through a lot to get an N95 even though she works in an inpatient Psych ward with acute patients. PPE for at risk providers should not be a luxury.
I have been in the business world a long time. When you can't find meaningful numbers, there is a reason for it.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:06 AM

558 posts, read 299,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I have been in the business world a long time. When you can't find meaningful numbers, there is a reason for it.
What do you think? Holding down unpleasant numbers is my guess.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
What do you think? Holding down unpleasant numbers is my guess.
Yes, nothing to be proud of and/or hiding something that will raise questions.

Other things eyebrow raising:

"For weeks, coroners have said their relationships with first responders, funeral directors, and county officials allow them to properly handle investigations where the presence of COVID-19 is unconfirmed — whether the death occurs at home or a care facility.

Despite coroners’ claims that they are well equipped to manage probable cases and legally obligated to be notified of suspected COVID-19 deaths, the Health Department hasn’t budged, insisting the majority of deaths caused by the virus do not need to be reported to a coroner.

“This is why I’m so upset,” Kiessling said. “Our job is to investigate.… We do this every day.”

If the dispute had been resolved a month ago, with coroners included in the department’s COVID-19 investigations, Kiessling said, the public trust in the state’s numbers would be stronger.

“I know who died. They know who died,” he said. “We have accurate numbers. We don’t scare everyone to death.”

Jeffrey Conner, the coroner in Franklin County, said he was blindsided by the department’s news on Tuesday that 10 people had died of COVID-19 in the county. As of Wednesday afternoon, he said, he was aware of only one death.

“Coroners are frustrated,” Conner said. “There is a lack of leadership from the Department of Health and a lack of definitive answers.”

There is usually a reason when someone does not want their numbers audited.

P.S. With the most nursing homes in the state, doesn't look good for Montco and Southeastern region.

What is the criteria to be used in determining when regions can move from red to yellow?

"Moving from one phase to another will be based on a metric that includes whether a region has met a target goal of an average of less than 50 cases per 100,000 residents over a 14-day period. Levine said residents of nursing homes and other congregant living facilities will be included in those counts.

Also taken into account will be the amount of testing that is available and contact tracing that can be done, and the modeling of virus growth along with other variables."

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/0...this-work.html

Last edited by Maddie104; 04-25-2020 at 12:36 PM..

Old 04-25-2020, 11:53 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
One thing that has been annoying me about the shutdown is very crowded take out places in the city not doing anything to handle the crowd outside. Places take too many pickup or delivery orders than they can handle and get backed up. This causes a small mob of people to stand right at the window waiting. I have seen some particular aggressive people not wearing any mask or anything basically blocking the pickup window. To me, it should be the restaurants duty to make sure their is an orderly line and orders are being called out properly.
Because a mask is not required for takeout just for entering the supermarket and pharmacy

Old 04-25-2020, 01:39 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Because a mask is not required for takeout just for entering the supermarket and pharmacy
I believe you are wrong. They are mandatory when entering an essential business. Also the purpose of a mask is not so much to protect yourself, but to prevent those whom may carry the virus, not being aware of it and passing it on to others. One wearing a mask, sneezing or coughing keeps the droplets from going out.

Old 04-25-2020, 01:45 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
I believe you are wrong. They are mandatory when entering an essential business. Also the purpose of a mask is not so much to protect yourself, but to prevent those whom may carry the virus, not being aware of it and passing it on to others. One wearing a mask, sneezing or coughing keeps the droplets from going out.
But you are not entering the business you will be standing outside

Old 04-25-2020, 01:57 PM

558 posts, read 299,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
He knows. It's been brought up before.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:05 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
"Who know how/when it will get better?" is not acceptable. I fear this form of complacency from PA residents who feel the so called plan for re-opening PA is great.

I'm not complacent. And, agreed, there should be more transparency about how re-opening is going to actually happen in PA and, eventually, in SE PA, which is the part of PA that I care the most about.

Old 04-25-2020, 02:30 PM

1,213 posts, read 956,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
But you are not entering the business you will be standing outside
Who cares what's mandatory. Why would you not wear a mask outside with the most contagious disease in recent memory floating all over society? What exactly is the upside to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia