Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2020, 01:30 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
It was pretty cool. And a beautiful day. One of the things I miss in the shutdown is sharing experiences in concerts and theaters with people I don't know. People were everywhere for the flyover and for just 15 minutes or so, it was nice to get a small taste of that connection again.

Agreed. Beautiful day today.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 01:53 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,831 times
Great shot, thedirtypirate! I jogged down and watched from the East Falls station. It was a distant view, but still fun. And yes, a perfect day to be outside.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:05 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'm listening right now to a report on NPR that noted how Wuhan set up quarantine centers and mandated that all who came in contact with a COVID-19-positive individual be placed in them. This, the medical expert (Harvey Weinberg, head of the National Academy of Medicine) says, played a key role in getting the virus under control there.

He points out one "ace in the hole" the US has as far as taking this approach is concerned: We now have all these hotels with empty beds. Imagine, he said, if we put up these infected but not (yet) sick, and potentially infected, people in rooms they'd gladly drop hundreds of dollars on, where they will be well cared for for the duration of the quarantine?

His larger point was that quarantining away from home is likely to be far more effective at breaking the chain of spread than quarantining at home is.

We've already put one Center City hotel to use in this fashion (this is why you can't drive down the 1300 block of Walnut Street). Maybe this needs to be adopted on a wider scale?

I'll close with my $.02 on that rather Swiftian recommendation: I don't see myself suddenly becoming iga drain on society in four years, either. And many of those who others may think are, aren't — we're just not using their stores of experience and wisdom the way we should.
China is essentially a police state , with a tremendous level of face recognition surveillance. People there are used to being monitored and controlled since they know if they really misbehave they will end up like the Uyghurs in re-education camps.
So mandated quarantining was definitely going to work in Wuhan since some of it probably happened by gunpoint.

Sandy, if we can't get the millions of PPE we need who do you think is going to pay for "luxury" quarantine accomodations?

Were people who were quarantined from the Diamond Princess enjoying their 14 days in great accomodations?

Old 04-28-2020, 02:12 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Agreed. Beautiful day today.

What area was that? I was up in Bensalem around Woodhaven and Rt13, and they were covered by clouds.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:15 PM

I did see the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds fly over. This afternoon. Very cool.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Also anyone else looking forward to the Blue Angels flyover today?
Yes, I saw it. It was them plus the Thunderbirds.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Will they be in Philadelphia? I plan to have lunch on my roof (New York), they should be flying right over my building.
Yes, they took three passes over CC that I saw.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
How much should I worry about contamination if I go outside to walk the dog or exercise?
In my neighborhood dogs and their owners have been out walking for the entire time of the lockdown at all hours. There is a dog park in my neighborhood which is closed right now.

Old 04-28-2020, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
It's going to be interesting to see what the city parks and trails look like this weekend given that the weather is supposed to be in the 70s and sunny and everyone has cabin fever by now. You do still need to be able to maintain your 6 foot social distance to really be safe outside. The problem with opening the beaches in FL and CA wasn't that the beaches were open, it was that too many people immediately flocked to them and couldn't keep proper distancing.
If what I saw last Sat. on Rittenhouse Sq is any indication it will likely be jammed again.

Old 04-28-2020, 04:02 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Quote:
Just an FYI to anyone who owns a car and might have been taking advantage of the more relaxed parking policies, the PPA is back to ticketing people.
Clarification please.....
Have they announced that? Or -- like a thief in the night -- have they just started doing it with no advance notice?

Also is this for regular sidewalk, meter and residential street parking tickets?

Because they never did stop giving out safety violation citations like double parking, blocking crosswalks, or loading-zone violations, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia