U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2020, 12:54 PM

5,167 posts, read 1,914,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I remember that movie and there is a scene showing part of the uncompleted old Gallery. Also it was Wanamaker's then not Macy's.

I remember the Arcade too. There was project slated for that parking lot but that fell through before the current crisis.

I meant to say across from where Macys is now. And Looks like a former coworker was right when she said there used to be a Mcdonalds at 13th and Market. I remember asking someone else and they told me no lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 06:19 AM

5,546 posts, read 5,714,402 times
the shelter-in-place order takes effect today. I'm not confident in the city's ability to police it/enforce it other than businesses staying closed via Wolf's demands. It was amazing how many people my wife and I saw outside playing, exercising, socializing together on Saturday, as we drove to my inlaws' house to deliver some needed goods. We have fully isolated ourselves at this point, going for walks (carefully, keeping distance from others) once a day, and getting most groceries delivered to home. Anyone who doesn't think this is necessary has not read how things progressed in Italy and taken note how fast it's spreading in NYC. This thing is CONTAGIOUS!

And there are a lot of younger people who are having a tough time with it. However, I suspect those that smoke/vape/have compromised immune systems are the ones having the toughest time. Any extra toll on the lungs is a serious detriment.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:29 AM

On another note, I would think that Wolf would call up the National Guard in advance of this thing getting serious. Kenny and Wolf should be thinking about public safety, and at the very least, more person-power for distributing supplies that are sure to be needed in the most poverty-stricken neighborhoods. Am I wrong on this?

Old 03-23-2020, 06:43 AM

10,671 posts, read 6,248,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
the shelter-in-place order takes effect today. I'm not confident in the city's ability to police it/enforce it other than businesses staying closed via Wolf's demands. It was amazing how many people my wife and I saw outside playing, exercising, socializing together on Saturday, as we drove to my inlaws' house to deliver some needed goods. We have fully isolated ourselves at this point, going for walks (carefully, keeping distance from others) once a day, and getting most groceries delivered to home. Anyone who doesn't think this is necessary has not read how things progressed in Italy and taken note how fast it's spreading in NYC. This thing is CONTAGIOUS!

And there are a lot of younger people who are having a tough time with it. However, I suspect those that smoke/vape/have compromised immune systems are the ones having the toughest time. Any extra toll on the lungs is a serious detriment.
By now you probably know that a ton of people were out, at least, in Prospect Park( Brooklyn) in NY even after the Cuomo decree over the weekend. Same thing in LA...tons of people on beaches which should have been closed days ago. I think they are closed now but...sheesh.

I'm not seeing anyone other than dog walkers in Spring Garden/Fairmount. I go on a daily walk of about 20 minutes then go back home. I can work in food shopping during my walks.

Smoking cigarettes killed my father years before he should have died. Let's just say my empathy toward smokers is limited.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:44 AM

10,671 posts, read 6,248,341 times
Quote:
On another note, I would think that Wolf would call up the National Guard in advance of this thing getting serious. Kenny and Wolf should be thinking about public safety, and at the very least, more person-power for distributing supplies that are sure to be needed in the most poverty-stricken neighborhoods. Am I wrong on this?
Well, we can hope.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
By now you probably know that a ton of people were out, at least, in Prospect Park( Brooklyn) in NY even after the Cuomo decree over the weekend. Same thing in LA...tons of people on beaches which should have been closed days ago. I think they are closed now but...sheesh.

I'm not seeing anyone other than dog walkers in Spring Garden/Fairmount. I go on a daily walk of about 20 minutes then go back home. I can work in food shopping during my walks.

Smoking cigarettes killed my father years before he should have died. Let's just say my empathy toward smokers is limited.
Exactly. I believe Cuomo has it right, and I can't tell whether De Blasio is really taking it seriously. I do suspect, however, that it will only take another 24 hours for him to realize that more force is required. I mean, how can he NOT close playgrounds? I haven't taken my kids to a playground in two weeks. It's a place of high contagion. Come on.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
This is not allowed. People should not be going into homes for viewings. Which tells me there is still a lot of complacency even among professionals hence my statement on it may get much worse than we think
Outside of the "shelter-in-place" order by Kenny, which is not well-defined or the same as other SiP orders I have seen, I'm not convinced that the answer to this is really clear. An agent can probably still arrange a showing for a private family, meet them there, wait outside, and let them go through.

I had an inspection on my house on Saturday (I'm selling/buying), and I mandated that just the buyers (two people) and the inspector can come in if they wear masks, gloves, and take their shoes off. The direction from these companies is that some activities can continue if they are in private residences and do not congregate groups of people.

Wolf will have an easy time of identifying businesses that are operating more publicly, and he may have his hands full there. I suspect that specific companies (e.g. Elfant) will be more constrained by their interpretations and how their peer companies are operating more than anything.

Update: Adding a link to the city's official document: https://www.phila.gov/media/20200322...ay-At-Home.pdf

Last edited by AJNEOA; 03-23-2020 at 07:56 AM..

Old 03-23-2020, 08:14 AM

1,365 posts, read 870,862 times
Like I said, most people are not following the instructions by the experts and the more we ignore the experts the longer this pandemic will be with us.

Quote:
Outside of the "shelter-in-place" order by Kenny, which is not well-defined or the same as other SiP orders I have seen, I'm not convinced that the answer to this is really clear. An agent can probably still arrange a showing for a private family, meet them there, wait outside, and let them go through.

I had an inspection on my house on Saturday (I'm selling/buying), and I mandated that just the buyers (two people) and the inspector can come in if they wear masks, gloves, and take their shoes off. The direction from these companies is that some activities can continue if they are in private residences and do not congregate groups of people.

Wolf will have an easy time of identifying businesses that are operating more publicly, and he may have his hands full there. I suspect that specific companies (e.g. Elfant) will be more constrained by their interpretations and how their peer companies are operating more than anything.

Update: Adding a link to the city's official document: https://www.phila.gov/media/20200322...ay-At-Home.pdf

Old 03-23-2020, 01:49 PM

5,097 posts, read 3,149,297 times
I too have been surprised by the number of people out. Seems everyone has all of a sudden turned into a runner. I know two people who live in the city that tested positive yesterday. I haven't been in direct contact with them recently, but it does hit close to home. I have tried my best to stay quarantined for the last several weeks.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:27 PM

695 posts, read 332,147 times
I'm going on 12 days of "quarantine." Going a bit crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or