Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2020, 12:51 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times

Advertisements

Easter,Memorial Day, July 4th,Labor Day, Christmas? Which date do you think we get back to our normal life?

Im hopeful for Memorial Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 12:54 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
You're right on. I have heard a lot of people who are drinking more. Although, the liquor stores are closed so I'm sure that's creating some agitation.

Sadly theres been a Big spike in domestic violence with everyone being cooped up inside. On the plus side crime is generally way down everywhere.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:06 PM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
who else has filled out the census already? I am a little worried Philly is going to get the short end of the stick if a bunch of people bounced out of town.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:01 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
who else has filled out the census already? I am a little worried Philly is going to get the short end of the stick if a bunch of people bounced out of town.
I filled out the form for my family. Funny enough, I'll be moving out of the city at the end of April.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:36 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
You're right on. I have heard a lot of people who are drinking more. Although, the liquor stores are closed so I'm sure that's creating some agitation.
I find the closure of liquor stores to be a dumb decision. I consider that essential retail. At least you can buy beer and wine in grocery stores now, or else the situation would be totally hopeless. Some local wineries are allowing for purchases too. I would totally do that if I lived in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Easter,Memorial Day, July 4th,Labor Day, Christmas? Which date do you think we get back to our normal life?

Memorial for sure. I think a lock-down any longer than Memorial Day might be more disastrous than the actual virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
A lot of cities are in the same boat though, not sure how this will be worked out.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:51 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I find the closure of liquor stores to be a dumb decision. I consider that essential retail. At least you can buy beer and wine in grocery stores now, or else the situation would be totally hopeless. Some local wineries are allowing for purchases too. I would totally do that if I lived in the area.

Memorial for sure. I think a lock-down any longer than Memorial Day might be more disastrous than the actual virus.

A lot of cities are in the same boat though, not sure how this will be worked out.

The PLCB is not restocking the grocery stores as far as I know, so if anyone wants wine for dinner you had best buy it when you see it now that Pennsylvania is the only state in the US to reinstitute prohibition. We are still paying a tax on wine for the relief of victims of the Johnstown flood of 1936.

In 1933, just four days before the sale of alcohol became legal in Pennsylvania, the Board was officially organized. Upon its creation, Governor Gifford Pinchot stated that the purpose of the Board was to "discourage the purchase of alcoholic beverages by making it as inconvenient and expensive as possible."

Old 03-25-2020, 05:47 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,750,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post

Definitely Memorial Day

Old 03-25-2020, 05:49 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Really? I think the average American could use to dump a little less booze down its gullet. It's certainly not a nutritious or basic food that's needed to survive.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:32 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
I think I might be getting more paranoid the longer I stay inside.....

Do you think I'm being silly to drive to Chester County to get gas. I usually go to Wawa for gas. And I really don't want to go to places that are as congested, crowded, and busy as the Philly area Wawas.

My neighbor said "just wear gloves and you'll be fine," and that he wouldn't drive to a lower population area just for gas.

But I figure the fewer people I'm exposed to, the better.

Last edited by selhars; 03-25-2020 at 06:57 PM..

Old 03-25-2020, 08:41 PM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
The PLCB is not restocking the grocery stores as far as I know, so if anyone wants wine for dinner you had best buy it when you see it now that Pennsylvania is the only state in the US to reinstitute prohibition. We are still paying a tax on wine for the relief of victims of the Johnstown flood of 1936.

In 1933, just four days before the sale of alcohol became legal in Pennsylvania, the Board was officially organized. Upon its creation, Governor Gifford Pinchot stated that the purpose of the Board was to "discourage the purchase of alcoholic beverages by making it as inconvenient and expensive as possible."
Pinchot was indeed a Prohibitionist, but Pennsylvania did not "reimpose Prohibition" by setting up a state monopoly on the sale of package liquors, nor was it the only state to choose to severely restrict residents' ability to buy and consume booze.

Utah - the state created by the Mormons, who frown on the consumption of alcohol and caffeine - also set up a state control board and monopoly on package liquor sales. It also kept in place a ban on bars and saloons, as did Kansas, another hotbed of the temperance movement; by contrast, Pennsylvania did allow bars serving alcohol to reopen after the end of Prohibition.

In both states, liquor by the drink could only be served in private clubs - and both states had a bunch of those that were not that difficult to join. Kansas did allow private liquor stores to open after Prohibition ended, but the stores were small, had limited selections, and could not advertise.

Utah still has a state monopoly on package liquor sales like Pennsylvania's, but the stores are now open later, and bars are now legal in that state - the state had to liberalize its liquor laws in order to land the 2002 Winter Olympics.

Kansas eventually followed suit, prodded by craft brewers in Lawrence, the freewheeling (for Kansas) home of the flagship state university.

Or by "reinstitute Prohibition" were you referring to the decision to shut the state liquor stores for the duration of the COVID-19 lockdown?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia