Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2020, 12:20 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
AMC is on the verge of declaring bankruptcy. Really sad since the nice fancy one in CC just opened.

I think Macys may hold on some of its best locations, but without a doubt the company might be a shell of its former self 1 year from now.
Yes, I read that about AMC.

Well, there is so much to be sad about right now that it's hard to describe. However RTM was kinda jammed last Saturday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
One of Macys worst locations is 13th and Market. Had to go to Cherry Hill to get a nice wallet
Somehow I'm not surprise that you would say this. lol. Nevermind the history of the building at 13th and Market. But, Cherry Hill Mall has it's own history.

I learned something a couple of days ago. One of JC Pennys first suburban mall/ strip mall locations was in King of Prussia before it turned into the version we know today.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Its actually among their higher performing stores (mostly due to location and foot traffic), but I agree, the Macys in Cherry Hill and KoP are better stocked, more organized, brighter and just nicer.
Kinda stinks since the Wanamker Building is so stunning, but the store mostly feels a bit dark and dreary, except the newer home section on the third floor.

But info from a friend, the Macys in CC, Cherry Hill, KoP, Christiana and Springfield and all high-performing stores, I don't see those going down unless the whole company goes down.
There's no way to sensibly predict anything at all right now. Will people be willing to mingle in a huge store again?

Old 04-14-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
How ironic that the Center City store gets the least TLC when compared to the other 3. But I won't go off topic any further.

Imo, the only thing that matters there is the organ.

Old 04-14-2020, 12:52 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,874,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
There's no way to sensibly predict anything at all right now. Will people be willing to mingle in a huge store again?
If something like Ebola was airborne and as contagious as this novel coronavirus, that would be a troubling question. But unless this coronavirus starts mutating more quickly, it will run its course. It might take a year or two, although antivirals and an eventual vaccine may speed things up if we can create them and make them available to the average person (the second part of that being the key). That's my belief.

Old 04-14-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
If something like Ebola was airborne and as contagious as this novel coronavirus, that would be a troubling question. But unless this coronavirus starts mutating more quickly, it will run its course. It might take a year or two, although antivirals and an eventual vaccine may speed things up if we can create them and make them available to the average person (the second part of that being the key). That's my belief.
I'm probably the only person here, except southbound, who personally experienced when the Salk and Sabin vaccines became available. It was like a miracle. Well, it was a miracle. By the time I graduated HS the nightmare of polio was significantly over. Market El was a child when the Sabin vaccine came out. But maybe he does remember it.

Since SARS does not have a vaccine it will be interesting to see how quickly one will be developed for this virus.

Old 04-14-2020, 01:34 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,419,194 times
I remember very well getting the Polio shots (Salk) and then the miracle of the Savin one that if I recall was like a sugary drink. Talk about a miracle!
I remember people who were maybe 10 years older than me who had limps from having had polio.I was born in 53. I just googled and it looks like the Salk one came out in 55.
I do remember my parents telling me that swimming in lakes was feared; salt water was considered safer.

Old 04-14-2020, 02:02 PM

142 posts, read 86,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
Interesting history, off topic but a good read anyway. Yes, it has been office space for a while.

Same thing happened to the iconic Carson Pirie Scott store, one block down from MF on State Street. MF was built in several stages over years, but CPS was designed by Louis Henry Sullivan and is a masterpiece. Sullivan was the man who saw promise in a young architect named Frank Lloyd Wright and subsequently loaned him $5,000 towards his Oak Park home.
Good reading in this thread. Just adding that the old Carson Pirie Scott store as a Target store, was a huge surprise to me in a Big city downtown street. It suceeded there for maybe a decade already? So people shop in a full Target there. Having a Apple store to Liquor and beer to groceries and housewares.

It is no secret that this street has a high level of African-Americans in the city utilize it and keep it vibrant with stores. Add office workers to residents nearby. But suffering losses is more likely then its higher-end N Michigan Ave tourist haven sister-street.

It was a miracle retail returned to this original retail street, since virually had all retail lost by the 1990s. City spending millions in each try at redoing the street. The 90s try as a car-free mall as grey and unappealing with spewing diesel buses, added to its fall till this last redo to a full street worthy of sucess again. You have to give the city credit for not giving up on it. But the cost was what many cities would not have tried.
Quote:
Origially posted bykyb01 Imo, the only thing that matters there is the organ.
Love its majestic Organ still preseved as a asset to the city. Better Macy's took it over then no retail there. Could be multiple boutique stores and eateries though too. If Macy's did fall.

Chicago's former Marshall Field Flagship as a Macy's (mentioned by others). Still houses its Tiffany Dome and Large Walnut room restaurant on the 7th floor. Macy's luckily still maintains this first restaurant in a department store grand space. Floors 8-14 Macy's put up for development in 2018, as probably offices. Some worried it would not keep the 7th floor restaurant, but it has.

Hopefully, Macy's keeps all these old Grand Dame's of American retail open. But a uphill battle is nipping at it. Like mentioned. Macy's last hold onto stores will be these relics. But at the right price offered? Who knows.

Old 04-14-2020, 03:50 PM

558 posts, read 299,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
I think the answer is yes, but not for a while. It's a part of our culture.

Old 04-14-2020, 04:35 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
I know I'm not planning to be in even any medium sized groups between now and at least the end of the year. No sit down eat-in at restaurants for example. Take out -- MAYbe. Right right now, though, no one is making my food but me. (A co-worker told me he went to a corner bodega to get a take out platter. I was shocked. But I think a lot of people are still eating or ordering out.)

I think employers will do more tele-conferences. And IF they do medium to large-sized meetings, (if they're smart) they will give those who want to opt out, or are wary, the option of being on video or the phone.

Glad Gov. Wolf was on the big govs news conference yesterday with other east coast govs. They're right: we've got to be very smart about "opening up" the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia