Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 10:20 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Well, I'll say one thing, I'm going to get in killer shape by the time this is all over. Not much to do between calls and WebExs than workout. No sports, no new TV shows, no social gatherings, no bars/restaurants obviously. I just did cardio this morning, will probably do core, abs and stretching mid-day and weights after dinner.

In truly important news though, I've been reading about the service sector and hourly wage workers. Very worrisome. Hopefully some of our billionaires band together and start some funds that allow others to contribute. I would gladly donate 100/month if I knew it was getting to the right people. It would be nice to see humanity step up in the coming weeks.

Regardless, everyone hunker down and stay safe!
Yep, about service workers/hospitality. It's a mess! There are still food carts in my neighborhood but not having students and workers or other foot traffic will kill those carts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

About a half hour later, the PLCB sent out an announcement that all of the state liquor stores would close at the end of business that night.

I went back around 7 p.m. The line stretched only halfway around the store. Guess everyone who wanted to stock up did so early. And the shelves had been stripped of much of their booze - mostly the large sizes. Most of the wine and most of the pricier booze were still on the shelves.

So here we are, high, dry (unless you stocked up, as I did) and holed up at home. I've been working from home since we had a conference call Tuesday afternoon in which we were informed that the senior leadership urged us strongly to do so.

I know I don't have COVID-19; my nose remains stuffy and occasionally runny, the aftermath of a pretty bad cold I got three weeks back. But that does mean that I'm immunocompromised, and as I check off two of the three risk boxes (over 60 and type 2 diabetes), I should stay home.

But I know me well enough to know that I can't do that all day, every day. I'll probably take walks around the neighborhood or trek to the supermarket three blocks from me.

It may be a while before I have to do that, though: a friend is bringing me a huge batch of chicken soup l

ater this afternoon.

*The Chelten Avenue State Store hadn't even gotten a new coat of paint since it last got spruced up sometime in the 1980s. It did just get some fresh paint this summer, but the signage is still outdated. I joke that you can't get "Fine Wine & Good Spirits" here.
State Store. lol

The 2 pubs near me closed at 5pm yesterday.

This is allergy season for me and the trees are blooming... Sneezes, watery eyes.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:33 AM

Hopefully our forum posters living in NYC are okay.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:36 AM

752 posts, read 458,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

This is allergy season for me and the trees are blooming... Sneezes, watery eyes.

I'm there with you. This week has been bad.

Old 03-17-2020, 11:48 AM

1,213 posts, read 953,967 times
Just heard this: Babies born nine months from now will be called coronials. In 13 years they'll be called quaranteens.

Old 03-17-2020, 12:08 PM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I'm there with you. This week has been bad.
Right!?

Just in time for the Covid scare I gotta be doing the allergies thing.

Old 03-17-2020, 02:12 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
All is fine here. Working remotely, just bored and antsy. I live in a high-rise building, so I climbed 40 stories for my workout this morning (crazy I know). I live near Madison Square Park so I walk to that at lunch, eerily quiet.

I do have lots of wine at least, and a list of documentaries and shows to catch up on.

I just feel very bad for so many people who are starting to feel the financial burden, I am lucky where my job keeps going even in times like these.

Old 03-17-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
All is fine here. Working remotely, just bored and antsy. I live in a high-rise building, so I climbed 40 stories for my workout this morning (crazy I know). I live near Madison Square Park so I walk to that at lunch, eerily quiet.

I do have lots of wine at least, and a list of documentaries and shows to catch up on.

I just feel very bad for so many people who are starting to feel the financial burden, I am lucky where my job keeps going even in times like these.
I just heard you all may need to shelter in place soon. Wow.

We are in recession, imo. I doubt there's a way around it now.

Old 03-17-2020, 03:35 PM

291 posts, read 377,455 times
We are adjusting but it's been a wild ride. I was looking to return to the work force after 5+ years as a stay at home mom. I had done interviews and 2 offers were extended to me. While I was considering it was announced the schools are closed likely for an extended period. One employer called me to explain that they were suddenly on a hiring freeze. I chose to postpone my career because it would be a hustle to cover childcare and I'm needed for homeschooling. Never thought of myself as a homeschooler

My husband is a healthcare provider. His office is enforcing telemedicine from home and only going in to see patients when the issue can not be resolved that way.They have also arranged it so that when they do see a patient, that patient is the only one in the office at the time so that exposure is limited and they can sanitize between patients.

I'm a major extrovert but there is no where to go & nothing to do (rightfully) this is FAR from our normal lives.

Old 03-17-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlove View Post
We are adjusting but it's been a wild ride. I was looking to return to the work force after 5+ years as a stay at home mom. I had done interviews and 2 offers were extended to me. While I was considering it was announced the schools are closed likely for an extended period. One employer called me to explain that they were suddenly on a hiring freeze. I chose to postpone my career because it would be a hustle to cover childcare and I'm needed for homeschooling. Never thought of myself as a homeschooler

My husband is a healthcare provider. His office is enforcing telemedicine from home and only going in to see patients when the issue can not be resolved that way.They have also arranged it so that when they do see a patient, that patient is the only one in the office at the time so that exposure is limited and they can sanitize between patients.

I'm a major extrovert but there is no where to go & nothing to do (rightfully) this is FAR from our normal lives.
I'm not an extrovert but I don't like staying indoors and/or at home either. The whole thing about older adults not going out unless they have to sucks. At least so far I'm not a "normal" older adult since I have no serious health issues. So I'm missing what I would normally be doing whether its stuff having to do with the arts, going to movies or browsing in stores which I like a lot but can't do now. I can catch up on my reading though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia