Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2020, 06:58 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
People are done with Covid.

It's not gonna end well. Just because you're sick of staying in doesn't mean it's over. And I would say it's way more than 1/4 of people who aren't wearing masks.
Not necessary when walking alone outside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 08:04 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
That was my first thought, too - open-bottle laws.
BTW, the bars are managing by putting the drinks in juice bottles or plastic cups with lids and straws. Technically, these are closed containers, and once you do that, it's not really possible for anyone else to tell whether what you're drinking as you walk down the street has alcohol in it or not.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:09 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
People are done with Covid.

It's not gonna end well. Just because you're sick of staying in doesn't mean it's over. And I would say it's way more than 1/4 of people who aren't wearing masks.

well, I have noted that most of the riders on SEPTA buses have masks on, but on the subway, about 1/8 of the riders don't have masks, and while waiting in the stations, some people have their masks around their necks.

But as for "it's not gonna end well," I hear on MSNBC tonight that many of the states that haven't had significant coronavirus cases are now seeing them spike and their hospitals fill now that they've lifted the restrictions.

Old 06-15-2020, 03:27 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
PA and the city have done a great job of flattening the curve such that we are now beginning to slowly open the economy. Other parts of the country could have taken a cue from us and closed down earlier, but resorted to magical thinking that the virus wasn’t going to impact them greatly because . . . well, they didn’t really say.

I don’t want to see people from those regions passing through and spreading the virus here again. I think it’s time the governor slapped a 14 day quarantine for anybody traveling here from Texas, Florida, South Carolina and a few other states.

Old 06-16-2020, 06:32 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
I don’t want to see people from those regions passing through and spreading the virus here again. I think it’s time the governor slapped a 14 day quarantine for anybody traveling here from Texas, Florida, South Carolina and a few other states.
I think it should be more like quarantining anyone that hasn't been out and about. I was on a zoom call with a bunch of friends last week when one friend mentioned that she was worried about "people" coming in from NYC and NJ to our area of the Lehigh Valley. I had to tell her that my daughter was one of those "people" from NY and that she had not stepped into a store since March 15th, had not visited friends nor family except while at a park and distancing, and generally had been staying the course better than any of us.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-16-2020, 07:33 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I think it should be more like quarantining anyone that hasn't been out and about. I was on a zoom call with a bunch of friends last week when one friend mentioned that she was worried about "people" coming in from NYC and NJ to our area of the Lehigh Valley. I had to tell her that my daughter was one of those "people" from NY and that she had not stepped into a store since March 15th, had not visited friends nor family except while at a park and distancing, and generally had been staying the course better than any of us.
I don’t expect my post to be seriously considered, but it’s just an expression of frustration by someone who has been been very careful these past few months. When I hear from in-laws in SC who are telling me it looks like there’s no virus in Myrtle Beach, it makes me feel resigned. Restaurants are packed with families and bars with partiers, none of them social distancing. All one of these people need to do is show up in PA and become Patient Zero for a new virus cluster, undoing all the hard work many here have put in.

When I was young, my mother told me about rationing she and her family were subject to during WWII and the sacrifices her generation made for the common good. It says a lot about society that we have families that refuse to even wear a mask when ordering food at a restaurant table. Society evolves.

Old 06-16-2020, 11:12 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
When I was young, my mother told me about rationing she and her family were subject to during WWII and the sacrifices her generation made for the common good. It says a lot about society that we have families that refuse to even wear a mask when ordering food at a restaurant table. Society evolves.

Heard the same from my mother. Those days are long gone. Society devolves.

Old 06-16-2020, 12:17 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
I don’t expect my post to be seriously considered, but it’s just an expression of frustration by someone who has been been very careful these past few months. When I hear from in-laws in SC who are telling me it looks like there’s no virus in Myrtle Beach, it makes me feel resigned. Restaurants are packed with families and bars with partiers, none of them social distancing. All one of these people need to do is show up in PA and become Patient Zero for a new virus cluster, undoing all the hard work many here have put in.

Amen to the WWII stories. Heck, there were some in my mother's family who still kept balls of aluminum foil/tin foil, well into the 50s.

For what it's worth to you concerning South Carolina, shortly after Roy Cooper closed down North Carolina, in one of his daily briefings, a reporter from Charlotte asked Governor Cooper to contact his counterpart in South Carolina and ask him to please keep his people in his own state. It's apparently a long-standing problem, and you are not wrong to have concerns.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:52 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Amen to the WWII stories. Heck, there were some in my mother's family who still kept balls of aluminum foil/tin foil, well into the 50s.

For what it's worth to you concerning South Carolina, shortly after Roy Cooper closed down North Carolina, in one of his daily briefings, a reporter from Charlotte asked Governor Cooper to contact his counterpart in South Carolina and ask him to please keep his people in his own state. It's apparently a long-standing problem, and you are not wrong to have concerns.
My grandmother saved string and good paper.

Old 06-17-2020, 01:56 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My grandmother saved string and good paper.
String and good paper were definitely things that they saved.

They used a lot of tin foil for wrapping food. They were asked to reuse the tin foil and that resulted in every family having at least one ball of tin foil. There used to be jokes about the tin foil balls on TV.

I remember the transition from tin foil to aluminum foil. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia