Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2020, 03:52 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
City is closing down all public events through Feb 28. This includes the Thanksgiving and mummer parades.

https://6abc.com/health/large-public...-2021/6316668/

Stinks but pretty sure they are aware by now that the flu exploded here in 1918 after a Liberty, WWI related, parade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Very sad for the city and so many industries, but necessary at this time...

I think its privately owned land right? So technically yes.

I just hope it doesn't erupt into a repeat of 6 weeks ago. I understand the frustrations, but this encampment is making demands that cannot be immediately fulfilled, plus the longer its around the more unsanitary it will become, and crime will likely increase. See Seattle...that camp has since been disbanded.

Also, how is Center City these days? I was there 3 weeks ago and it was a mixed bag, but I know it improves everyday.

I have a co-worker heading down there tomorrow night for a meeting Friday and she plans to stay Saturday for fun, (hasn't been to Philadelphia in 3-ish years). I know not everything is open, but is it safe/enjoyable to walk around?

Not to sound alarmist, but the dynamic of every city is drastically different this year when compared to July of last year.

Shes staying at the Ritz Carlton.
Well, tomorrow we will find out about the encampment. It's part of Von Colln Memorial Field, which, afaik, is owned by the city. Wasn't the Seattle thing blocks worth of stuff?

Most of what I posted on Tue was about what I saw in CC, though it was in a small area, along Broad St between Walnut and Pine west to 15th.

Be an alarmist. We are in big trouble. Don't sugar coat it. This is a black swan event and every fear I had a year ago because of the trade war may still unfold.

But, your co-worker can still find a good al fresco dining restaurant to enjoy. Tell her to stay on Broad and walk down to Locust and go west or east to 13th.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:17 PM

10,235 posts, read 6,326,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
Penn is bringing most undergrads back to campus, as are most of the Ivies.

Regarding schools it seems to be district by district. It's become heavily politicized. Due to my long years living overseas I read European and UK newspapers and when it comes to COVID-19 they are blessedly free of politics and from the European perspective, children, especially young elementary aged children, are at extremely minimal risk of the virus and are not likely to be spreaders of the virus. For all the claims to be "following science" the American politicians that be like to trot out every time they make an public decision, they're actually not closely following science when it comes to elementary school reopening. Most people who claim to be "following science" are abusing the concept of science to a staggeringly level.

Virtually everyone I know says distance learning is a near failure on most levels, and is probably about 20% as effective as classroom learning. So it will be a lost year for many kids. Of course the poorer kids will suffer the most.
I agree as a Retired Special Ed Para. It should be on a County by County basis. Also for Pre-K/ Elementary, Special Ed, versus HS and College students. It cannot be One Size Fits All. Not getting into my experience of Child Abuse reporting in school settings.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Not my choice, it was already booked and arranged with clients.

I think the Ritz is in a very central spot, not a glamorous spot in the immediate vicinity, but under normal circumstances I don't think most would notice since its always busy.

But otherwise, good to hear about Center City.
Well, hell, it's next door neighbor is the biggest hotel to open in years. Really too bad the circumstances are what they are.

Yes, generally speaking, CC "feels" pretty much okay. The major danger to all of us is what caused Wolf to take action to curtail more case infections in PA. The danger is travelers from the elsewhere where the virus is out of control.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Gov has put restrictions on bars and restaurants again.

I thought our blimp up and stabilized/flattened. Clearly he's seeing or being told something he doesn't like. Said something like a surge of cases is in the offing.
Inside dining had not yet happened in the city anyhow or just bar only openings so that part does not matter to Phila.

Aren't you paying any attention to what's going on in the south, southwest? Is there something to stop a ton of people getting on I-95 from virus-infected Florida from coming here? There are supposedly restrictions wrt certain states but how are they being enforced?

At least NY is trying to stop people at airports. But, driving?

Old 07-16-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Why the uptick? It's 2 weeks after the July 4th Weekend with people going to bars. restaurants, and holding private backyard parties (which cannot be stopped).
It's a bigger problem. It's keeping folks from the massive outbreaks areas in the south/southwest from causing problems by showing up here. That is folks who don't want to do what we did and still mostly do: wear masks.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Cases are already on the rise in Southwestern Pennsylvania, I hear.

(This sort-of mirrors what's happening nationwide: there was a huge surge on the Pacific Coast and in the Northeast, and now there's one across the southern tier. In Pennsylvania, the Southeast was the first to experience an outbreak, and now the Southwest is. The one wild card nationally, and probably what led to the tightening here in hopes of avoiding this: California is experiencing a second surge. Gov. Wolf and Secretary Levine may fear the same thing might happen in the Southeast.)
The uptick in SW PA has been going up for a while.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:50 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,753,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Well, tomorrow we will find out about the encampment. It's part of Von Colln Memorial Field, which, afaik, is owned by the city. Wasn't the Seattle thing blocks worth of stuff?

Most of what I posted on Tue was about what I saw in CC, though it was in a small area, along Broad St between Walnut and Pine west to 15th.

Be an alarmist. We are in big trouble. Don't sugar coat it. This is a black swan event and every fear I had a year ago because of the trade war may still unfold.

But, your co-worker can still find a good al fresco dining restaurant to enjoy. Tell her to stay on Broad and walk down to Locust and go west or east to 13th.

The deadline has been lifted and they can stay there past friday because our is not capable of being leader

Old 07-16-2020, 06:23 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,138,005 times
What the heck is up with the Montco person who coached youth sports and went to a 4th of July party while infected with coronavirus -- YET WON"T help authorities by telling who was at the party?

It's a shame they can't release the person's name.

As for schools and the virus...I heard parents on the news this morning who weren't pleased.
One said her kindergartener's elementary school didn't have hot water last year for the kids to even wash their hands with.

And another pointed out that many schools don't have school nurses anymore. So....who's the health professional at the school that's going to coordinate procedures and respond to illnesses?

Principals and teachers are not health professionals!

Quote:
Aren't you paying any attention to what's going on in the south, southwest?
Why would you ask me that? Are you presuming I don't understand exactly why he did it? Of course I know why.

I was just pointing out the announcement. Personally I'm very cautious about where I go and with whom. I have no intention of going anywhere near a bar or restaurant, beach or even medium sized gathering any time soon. I think people who are rushing back to beaches, bars and restaurants are crazy. But that's just me.

Last edited by selhars; 07-16-2020 at 06:34 PM..

Old 07-17-2020, 06:52 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
The deadline has been lifted and they can stay there past friday because our is not capable of being leader
Irritating. The camp leaders have some high demands and keep adding demands according to news sources.

The city can only do so much in a short period of time. It will come to a point when the city will have to clear it out, I don't know what the mayor is waiting for...

Also, the Barnes and other museums are re-opening over the next 1-2 weeks. Not a good look to have a tent village on the Parkway, especially with needles and trash scattered about. I've seen a few recent pictures from a friend of mine. They live behind the camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia