Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 01:46 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,499,247 times

Advertisements

With the 2020 census completed on schedule, what are your predictions? Will the city gain population? Other demographic predictions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 04:56 PM

9,340 posts, read 9,210,037 times
It doesn't go hand in hand, but Pennsylvania GDP numbers for 2019 were strong, stronger than Illinois in every quarter, (counties not released yet, though I am sure the Philadelphia area performed well), and 2020 (until now) was poised to be a solid economic year for Pennsylvania and Philadelphia.

I would say without Covid-19, PA and PHL would inch upward slightly in population, and most of the growth would be in Philadelphia, its suburban counties, Lancaster and Lehigh Valley. I want PA to officially hit 13M and Philadelphia to officially hit 1.6M.

It will also be interesting to see how the demographic makeup of Philadelphia changes - Younger and older, white and black, etc.

With Covid-19, I really hope PA and PHL bounce back from this, I am confident Philadelphia will, not sure about the rest of the state (outside of SEPA).

Old 04-10-2020, 07:01 PM

89 posts, read 34,533 times
I expect (and hope for) more Asian.

Old 04-10-2020, 08:23 PM

118 posts, read 92,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsallgoodman View Post
I expect (and hope for) more Asian.
Very specific, care to explain?

Old 04-10-2020, 08:34 PM

89 posts, read 34,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish1 View Post
Very specific, care to explain?
I like the food. I mean, I REALLY like the food.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:51 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,499,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
It doesn't go hand in hand, but Pennsylvania GDP numbers for 2019 were strong, stronger than Illinois in every quarter, (counties not released yet, though I am sure the Philadelphia area performed well), and 2020 (until now) was poised to be a solid economic year for Pennsylvania and Philadelphia.

I would say without Covid-19, PA and PHL would inch upward slightly in population, and most of the growth would be in Philadelphia, its suburban counties, Lancaster and Lehigh Valley. I want PA to officially hit 13M and Philadelphia to officially hit 1.6M.

It will also be interesting to see how the demographic makeup of Philadelphia changes - Younger and older, white and black, etc.

With Covid-19, I really hope PA and PHL bounce back from this, I am confident Philadelphia will, not sure about the rest of the state (outside of SEPA).
I could care less about the states population. It *is still 5th most populous afterall. I do however really wish the city could record 1.6M in the 2020 census, but according to this https://thephiladelphiacitizen.org/p...oom-solutions/
The city only grew by about 500 last year, which with this population, I call that virtually stagnant. so yeah there goes that out the window I guess lol.

Racial demographics will probably continue in the direction they've headed, black-fairly stable ~43%, white-decreasing slightly ~32%. I hope Philly gets some more Hispanic and Asian growth, you know, for the culture lol.

The poverty rate which fell below 25%, may creep back up a couple of points, who knows.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:35 AM

9,340 posts, read 9,210,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I could care less about the states population. It *is still 5th most populous afterall. I do however really wish the city could record 1.6M in the 2020 census, but according to this https://thephiladelphiacitizen.org/p...oom-solutions/
The city only grew by about 500 last year, which with this population, I call that virtually stagnant. so yeah there goes that out the window I guess lol.

Racial demographics will probably continue in the direction they've headed, black-fairly stable ~43%, white-decreasing slightly ~32%. I hope Philly gets some more Hispanic and Asian growth, you know, for the culture lol.

The poverty rate which fell below 25%, may creep back up a couple of points, who knows.
I care more about the Philadelphia area, but I don't want to see PA decline, it will remain the 5th populous state due to Illinois's decline, but population growth statewide (even small) is great for the health of PA, rather than SEPA accounting for nearly all the growth. But I am also worried that Philadelphia might go into negative since 500 people is essentially nothing...

And if it weren't for the virus I was eager to see a potential *small* drop in poverty. Dipping into the ~20-22% range would put Philadelphia below Houston (also losing that darn highest poverty rate title).

But the whole Covid-19 mess will increase poverty for many cities, but I fear that Philadelphia will again take a long time to decrease it again (for various reasons). I also see Houston poverty increasing because of this.

Also, I would like to see data showing the movement of incomes and poverty (I don't think the census will show that?), if people are actually coming out of poverty or if they left the area entirely and where they relocated too. The city released its poverty reduction plan just before the pandemic broke out, its a shame to see the progress halted for a year, its actually the first poverty related legislation that has good practices.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:47 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,678,578 times
Quote:
With the 2020 census completed on schedule, what are your predictions? Will the city gain population? Other demographic predictions?
I already mentioned that I absolutely see it as a total F-up of undercounting. And I thought that before the pandemic which will not help an accurate count at all.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Interesting analysis. I don't see it being an accurate count with a lot of unreliable stats but, hopefully, I will be wrong.

The 1918 pandemic actually "pushed" into 1920. Did that impact census data that relied on people doing physical counts in the 1920 ?

Philadelphia, in spite of losing thousands of people in that pandemic, still grew by about 300K people between 1910 and 1920.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Why is any of this funny to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia