Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 06:27 PM

654 posts, read 363,713 times

Advertisements

I love Philadelphia. It’s an attractive, liveable city.

However, I’ve taken Amtrak along the Northeast Corridor for 25 years. As you head south into Philadelphia, it looks pretty rough, with lots of deteriorating, graffiti-covered buildings.

When did North Philadelphia fall into this condition, and why isn’t it cleaned up? At least getting rid of graffiti would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 06:59 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,317,445 times
There are plans to invest in the surrounding neighborhood and train station. I hope the plan is too delayed because of the shutdown.

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20190221.html

https://philly.curbed.com/2019/2/22/...transit-amtrak

That part of North Philadelphia was a major industrial corridor, those days are mostly gone, add on decades of population decline and disinvestment and that is the result.
But now that Philadelphia's core (Center City) is booming, its inevitable for development to stretch its arms and the eyes are now looking at the North Philadelphia Station corridor, which is a great investment due to its great transit access and easy connections to Center City and New York.

I always find the Amtrak ride through North Philadelphia interesting, huge old factories and graffiti, sad but there is a bit of fascination. I will add, every few months another factory along the line usually near Brewerytown starts some sort of renovation. Certain parts of North Philadelphia will probably look the same 10 years from now, but starting at Brewerytown going a bit North there is a noticeable change along the tracks.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:20 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,508,099 times
Through out the entire city, from end to end, the worst looking parts follow the train tracks. It’s due to deindustrialization. The railways were lined with factories for easy transportation. Nearly every single one of them is now defunct. Most just sit vacant because they are privately owned and the owners don’t want to sell until they can make a nice profit. It’s a shame that a lot of people who ride through Philly just see those parts and imagine the entire city is an industrial wasteland. Philadelphia doesn’t have particularly high property taxes do owners see little incentive to do anything about it.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:50 PM

1,697 posts, read 968,681 times
Some of those areas are shoking to look at. It really does paint an unrepresentative picture of Philly as a whole.

Old 04-20-2020, 01:06 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,747,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVLNATIVE View Post
I love Philadelphia. It’s an attractive, liveable city.

However, I’ve taken Amtrak along the Northeast Corridor for 25 years. As you head south into Philadelphia, it looks pretty rough, with lots of deteriorating, graffiti-covered buildings.

When did North Philadelphia fall into this condition, and why isn’t it cleaned up? At least getting rid of graffiti would help.
De-industrialization combined with white flight. I found it surprising how you don't know why. The same thing happened in other big industrial centers like Detroit and Baltimore.

Old 04-20-2020, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
There are plans to invest in the surrounding neighborhood and train station. I hope the plan is too delayed because of the shutdown.

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20190221.html

https://philly.curbed.com/2019/2/22/...transit-amtrak

That part of North Philadelphia was a major industrial corridor, those days are mostly gone, add on decades of population decline and disinvestment and that is the result.
But now that Philadelphia's core (Center City) is booming, its inevitable for development to stretch its arms and the eyes are now looking at the North Philadelphia Station corridor, which is a great investment due to its great transit access and easy connections to Center City and New York.

I always find the Amtrak ride through North Philadelphia interesting, huge old factories and graffiti, sad but there is a bit of fascination. I will add, every few months another factory along the line usually near Brewerytown starts some sort of renovation. Certain parts of North Philadelphia will probably look the same 10 years from now, but starting at Brewerytown going a bit North there is a noticeable change along the tracks.
Don't hold your breath. Developers(W Hotel for example) took on a ton of debt that they won't be able to handle in a massive recession which we are likely headed into.

Old 04-20-2020, 01:53 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Don't hold your breath. Developers(W Hotel for example) took on a ton of debt that they won't be able to handle in a massive recession which we are likely headed into.
Got that right.

https://www.inquirer.com/business/ph...-20200420.html

Not good by any means.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Got that right.

https://www.inquirer.com/business/ph...-20200420.html

Not good by any means.
In a weird way that corner is cursed. The burned out tower from the Merdian Bldg fire. Years of nothing happening as law suits went back and forth. MarketEl can probably dig up particulars. Then, finally, after 20something years , a terrific hotel tower that would really bring Chestnut St back. Who knows how it will end up now. Sigh.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:19 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,317,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
In a weird way that corner is cursed. The burned out tower from the Merdian Bldg fire. Years of nothing happening as law suits went back and forth. MarketEl can probably dig up particulars. Then, finally, after 20something years , a terrific hotel tower that would really bring Chestnut St back. Who knows how it will end up now. Sigh.
Quotes from ownership and the brand ensure that the hotel will open (now August of this year).
Obviously anything could happen, but this project is so far along that I would be very shocked if it fell apart this late in the game.
If it were a hole in the ground of a steel shell, then I would be worried, but the opening date pre Covid-19 was sometime in June.

I think huge projects under construction will recover fine (The W, Arthaus, The Laurel, Riverwalk, etc.), however, proposals or large projects that didn't break ground may sit, such as the wonderful (sarcasm) Toll Brothers project on Jewelers Row or Dranoffs other tower at Broad and Pine.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:23 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Quotes from ownership and the brand ensure that the hotel will open (now August of this year).
Obviously anything could happen, but this project is so far along that I would be very shocked if it fell apart this late in the game.
If it were a hole in the ground of a steel shell, then I would be worried, but the opening date pre Covid-19 was sometime in June.

I think huge projects under construction will recover fine (The W, Arthaus, The Laurel, Riverwalk, etc.), however, proposals or large projects that didn't break ground may sit, such as the wonderful (sarcasm) Toll Brothers project on Jewelers Row or Dranoffs other tower at Broad and Pine.
OT, but do you have any sense of whether large brands (like W) could go bankrupt? I sense that no organization is exempt from the financial hardship of this disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia