Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 02:05 PM

14 posts, read 39,448 times

Advertisements

I'm a single female in my late 20s contemplating a job transfer. My company is located in the Cira Centre on Arch Street. I’ve been there a few times, but always business related, I stayed in nearby hotels and never had the time to explore. So……I need help on the “living there” aspect of things. All I know right now is that the Cira Centre is outside of Center City and in west University City which really doesn’t mean much to me at this point.

My colleagues haven’t been too much help because they have families, and contrary to them I’m very cosmopolitan. Now I know there are all types of interpretations of that word, but for me it simply means- I love to be in nice areas with diverse people and social opportunities that don't involve children or students. (Sorry if that offends anyone, not intentional)

I also don’t really like apartment complexes, but don’t mind small apartment buildings. Ultimately, my preference is a house. I'm willing to spend about $1300/mo in rent. I am also considering buying a nice duplex or multi-home type house for about 300K if it’s worth the investment. Lastly, I have a car but would prefer to catch the train or take a cab to work on most days so would like to stay in areas within reasonable commute

Knowing all this, are there any places that have a nice walkable neighborhood and a social atmosphere that a young single black female could enjoy? I’ll be there the week of May 5th and would love to check out the recommended neighborhoods then

Thanks very must in advance for the responses….I’ll also appreciate any thoughts on the economy, real estate market, taxes and anything at all that anyone deems relevant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 08:52 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Hello!

Center City is a walkable two square miles river to river. You could conceivably walk home from the Cira Centre across the Schuykill to some of the westernmost parts of Center City. $1300 should get you a nice 1BR and perhaps a decent 2BR in most of Center City.

Besides the "typical" high-rise apartments, there are also many loft buildings as well as houses that have been converted into apartments.

While you will find some families in Center City, the population is primarily empty-nesters and 20-30somethings. You will probably encounter students from Temple, Penn and Drexel living and socializing there but it's not quite the critical mass in-town that, say, Boston has.

While there are a lot of fun if not also convenient neighborhoods for your purposes, I think you might enjoy Old City the best. It's got an artsy vibe from the working art galleries and the 2nd Street area is the nightlife epicenter these days. You can catch the Market Frankford Blue Line (or "The El") from 2nd Street to 30th Street for a 15-minute ride to work. For convenience, you might also consider the Rittenhouse Square area. It has the most upscale retail in town and has its share of trendy bars, restaurants and clubs as well.

I have to admit that I'm not really knowledgeable about housing costs... except that $300K would sooner get you a condo in Center City than a house.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlygalH2K View Post
I'm a single female in my late 20s contemplating a job transfer. My company is located in the Cira Centre on Arch Street. I’ve been there a few times, but always business related, I stayed in nearby hotels and never had the time to explore. So……I need help on the “living there” aspect of things. All I know right now is that the Cira Centre is outside of Center City and in west University City which really doesn’t mean much to me at this point.

My colleagues haven’t been too much help because they have families, and contrary to them I’m very cosmopolitan. Now I know there are all types of interpretations of that word, but for me it simply means- I love to be in nice areas with diverse people and social opportunities that don't involve children or students. (Sorry if that offends anyone, not intentional)

I also don’t really like apartment complexes, but don’t mind small apartment buildings. Ultimately, my preference is a house. I'm willing to spend about $1300/mo in rent. I am also considering buying a nice duplex or multi-home type house for about 300K if it’s worth the investment. Lastly, I have a car but would prefer to catch the train or take a cab to work on most days so would like to stay in areas within reasonable commute

Knowing all this, are there any places that have a nice walkable neighborhood and a social atmosphere that a young single black female could enjoy? I’ll be there the week of May 5th and would love to check out the recommended neighborhoods then

Thanks very must in advance for the responses….I’ll also appreciate any thoughts on the economy, real estate market, taxes and anything at all that anyone deems relevant

Old 04-15-2008, 07:38 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
This linc will give you a few choices on the west side of Center City. The rental market is tight so many buildings don't bother to advertise. Your price range puts you on the line between a studio and one bedroom. A Craigs List walk up will be a little less probably.

Zip Code: 19103 Apartments for Rent - Find Zip Code: 19103, PA Apartment Rentals

Here is a map with zip codes.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:15 AM

14 posts, read 39,448 times
Thanks for the responses!! Bryson, extra special thanks for the map, give me a whole new understanding of the geography. Tone, I think your assessment to focus on the Old City, Rittenhouse area is spot-on. From what I’ve read, they are both vibrant and suit my preferences. Looking at the map, they are both ideally located too. Any areas in these area to avoid?

So, How does one launch an apartment search - I am having no luck what so ever on Craig list. Are the any pet friendly areas? I have a small dog ~20lbs. Also what management companies should I avoid? I have a trip planned for the week of May 5th and really need to get a list going so I can visit these places...so far nothing. Any suggestions?

Old 04-15-2008, 10:33 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,465 times
I would suggest you not move to Philly. It sounds as if you like things a certain way. You will be bitterly disappointed living here as Philly and discriminating taste do not mix. Good Luck.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:09 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times
I suggest you look in Queen Village. It's a quick walk to center city where you can get public transportation to your office.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:12 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlygalH2K View Post
Thanks for the responses!! Bryson, extra special thanks for the map, give me a whole new understanding of the geography. Tone, I think your assessment to focus on the Old City, Rittenhouse area is spot-on. From what I’ve read, they are both vibrant and suit my preferences. Looking at the map, they are both ideally located too. Any areas in these area to avoid?

So, How does one launch an apartment search - I am having no luck what so ever on Craig list. Are the any pet friendly areas? I have a small dog ~20lbs. Also what management companies should I avoid? I have a trip planned for the week of May 5th and really need to get a list going so I can visit these places...so far nothing. Any suggestions?
The Wellington, which is included in the apartment guide linc from my previous post, is a small, delightful and well kept building at 19th and Walnut St on Rittenhouse Sq. It is one of the few rental buildings that welcome dogs. (one of the owners lives in the penthouse and has a little dog).
This was the only pic I had (building circled in yellow) They may have somthing available in your price range. (The red outlined building was the original subject of the photo and is now under construction}

Old 04-15-2008, 06:51 PM

32 posts, read 121,370 times
Default Couple of options

Hi. I used to live in University City and liked it quite a bit. With your housing budget, you should be able to find something pretty nice. Something to keep in mind is that you have a car, so that may be problematic, especially in Center City. There is a great number of areas that has two hour parking during work hours, which would be bad for you if you take public transport in to work.

When I lived there, I was at 42nd street and Pine, which is 1 block south of Walnut street. Parking could be a problem sometimes, especially late at night. However, there is a trolley stop a block away on Baltimore that takes you into the 30th Street Station, which is next to your work. Also, the nice thing about the area is that there is a station at 40th Street and Baltimore where all the trolleys merge to go underground on their way to Center City. So, if you are there, there is very little wait for a trolley into town.

Also, on 40th Street and Chestnut, there is a grocery store, a movie theater, and a number of restaurants. The grocery store is convenient because they can be sparse in the city.

I guess the negatives for the area are parking can be a pain sometimes. Also, it seems far from some of the city amenities, such as the Chinatown or Northern Liberties. I think that is more psychological, since you are divided by the river. Plus it can be a good thing, because sometimes we opted to stay in instead of going out, saving us some money!

Furthermore, close to your work is the Art Museum area, which is very desirable but more expensive. Parking is more problematic in that area. Also, it does not as have many restaurants or bars in the neighborhood as you would expect. Behind the art museum is Fairmount Park, which is really nice. There is a paved path along the river to use for walking, biking, or jogging and is nice to get away from the city grind.

If you consider either area, you should probably consider the following limits: in University City, I wouldn't go much past 45th street...you start to move into a more city residential setting with many established family. I would set a southern limit to Baltimore and a Northern limit to Chestnut Street. I know you mentioned you didn't want to be near students. However, University City is very diverse and they can easily be avoided, except for the amenities on 40th street, which is next to the University.

Art Museum area, definately south of Girard Avenue, where it can get run down and more dangerous. Also, there is no trolley or subway line in that area. You may be able to take a bus, but I'm not sure.

Finally, there is an area called Rittenhouse Square which is very nice. Though parking can be problematic, it gets better west of there around 22nd and 23rd street. Plus you would have easier access to the trolley.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you need additional info, I would be glad to help.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:13 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet that is worth noting - the Cira Centre is right next to 30th Street Station, the primary intercity (Amtrak) train station in the Philadelphia area and one of the 3 Center City SEPTA Regional Rail stations. If you decide to NOT live in Center City or University City and want to live in another location that meets your criteria inside or outside the city limits, your job is very well located to use transit (rail) to get there. (As has been indirectly noted above, the Cira Centre is also near the stations at 30th and Market Streets for the Market-Frankford Line and the five subway-surface trolley lines.)

Old 04-16-2008, 07:43 AM

32 posts, read 121,370 times
Default Taxes

Something I forgot to add...if you live or work in the city, you have an additional 4% or so tax on your wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia