Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2020, 06:58 PM

10,581 posts, read 11,994,134 times

Advertisements

Given that there's another thread about a potential buyer with up to 3 million to spend on a house in/near Philly....I wonder if any of us who know the area would spend up to that budget? Given that we know you can get pretty much any thing you'd want in a house for less than half that.

As for me....there's no way in hell I'd spend it on a house even if I had the money.
I'm simple and easy to please. (Single. No kids.)
I don't need the Main Line or Media. (or Collingswood or Moorestown)
Havertown, Springfield, Bala -- heck even Glenolden or Aldan -- would be fine with me.

I'd pay MAX 500K. Invest 2.5 mill, retire early, and travel...and never be home anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2020, 09:12 PM

2,499 posts, read 4,396,562 times
Thanks for sharing?

You'll have a better life if you don't worry about how other people spend their money.

For all you know they have enough to buy the house, and retire early, and travel.

Old 05-19-2020, 04:56 AM

10,581 posts, read 11,994,134 times
Thanks for sharing right back atcha.

I didn't say they didn't have the money. They can spend whatever they want.
People wonder about all kinds of things. I guess you never do or can't relate.

Please don't be offended if I DON'T take life advice from you.

By the way....are you in the Phila area? I'm born and raised here and never heard of North Jackson. If that's a place, where's that?

Last edited by selhars; 05-19-2020 at 05:04 AM..

Old 05-19-2020, 07:16 AM

9,338 posts, read 9,197,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Given that there's another thread about a potential buyer with up to 3 million to spend on a house in/near Philly....I wonder if any of us who know the area would spend up to that budget? Given that we know you can get pretty much any thing you'd want in a house for less than half that.

As for me....there's no way in hell I'd spend it on a house even if I had the money.
I'm simple and easy to please. (Single. No kids.)
I don't need the Main Line or Media. (or Collingswood or Moorestown)
Havertown, Springfield, Bala -- heck even Glenolden or Aldan -- would be fine with me.

I'd pay MAX 500K. Invest 2.5 mill, retire early, and travel...and never be home anyway!
I differ here. I wouldn't stretch myself thin, but if I had the money and saw a home I loved (and worth the price), I would pay $3M.

I am a city person, so I would prefer a nice condo or townhome near Rittenhouse, but I do love me a big pretty stone suburban home too. Sandy (MarketStEl) posts write-ups about so many beautiful homes in the region. A recent one I loved was a very large colonial in Newtown Square listed at $2.5M.

But realistically for me and my boyfriend, we plan to buy in 2-3 years with a fairly high budget. The downside with Manhattan is that $1M does not get you anything super impressive, whereas nearly any other city you can go far with that number.

Which is why a move back to Philadelphia is becoming more likely. $1M on a nice townhome in Center City is not a ripoff, $1M for a small 1 bedroom with a window air conditioner is a ripoff.

Old 05-19-2020, 07:57 AM

75 posts, read 65,000 times
$600k on a Victorian twin in Cedar Park or Spruce Hill. $300-500k on a house in the old Northeast neighborhood in St Pete, FL. Use the rest of the money for my apparent jetset life...

Old 05-19-2020, 08:59 AM

7,730 posts, read 5,445,653 times
In an imaginary world, I like the idea of the two house scenario with $3mn. I could do with a smaller place in the fitler sq/ grad hospital area around $600-$800k and follow it up with a country place in like northern Bucks County. I like this one MarketStEl wrote about recently: https://www.phillymag.com/property/2...ouse-for-sale/

Old 05-19-2020, 09:04 AM

8,977 posts, read 21,055,209 times
Being solo and not having much desire for land, it's hard for me to personally justify spending $3 million on a home. Like the last two posters, I would probably consider a place in University City or Rittenhouse. Chestnut Hill might be tempting.

Old 05-20-2020, 12:17 PM

1,682 posts, read 945,375 times
I'll take a 2500 square foot stunner in Rittenhouse with a terrace for 2 mill and spend the other milly on a Vacation home in Tulum. Thanks!

Old 05-20-2020, 12:53 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,214,218 times
At that price range, I'd primarily be looking in a few spots: Spruce Hill, Fairmount/Francisville, Fishtown/Northern Liberties, and the Northwest. I'm 24 going on 25 right now, and my girlfriend is 23 going on 24. We're both young professionals who love living in the city (and as some of you may know, I grew up in West Philly, and have been in the area for all but three years of my life). Our relationship is super serious to the point where we'll be moving in to a beautiful new home in Francisville next month. Because of this, marriage and children wouldn't be out of the question within the next five or so years. With that taken into consideration, we'd probably look at a neighborhood full of other young professional families.

Spending $600K-$800K on a beautiful Victorian twin in Spruce Hill would probably be my top choice. Spruce Hill has an abundance of great restaurants, pristine blocks, and lies within the well-regarded Sadie Alexander catchment. My second choice would be to spend the same amount on a three-story brick rowhome in Fairmount, with the option to spend slightly less (say $500K-$700K in Francisville--south of Girard and west of Ridge). Fairmount has many of the same attributes as Spruce Hill, with the only downside being the lack of rail transit to Center City. Plus, I wouldn't mind sending a future kid of mine to the Bache-Martin School. Fishtown would come in third and take priority over Northern Liberties, though they are combined. We could easily find something nice spending $500K-$700K there. Finally, I love the Northwest with all of my heart! Manayunk, East Falls, and West Mount Airy are the most appealing to me, while Roxborough, parts of East Mount Airy, and Germantown would come in as alternates.

I'd try to spend less than $1.0M on the house and look towards spending another chunk of the money on starting a business and investments in land. Not only would I buy up land in the southernmost and westernmost portions of Strawberry Mansion, but I'd also look towards opening something special inside one of the numerous new retail spaces coming to Ridge Avenue. Once Ridge Ave takes off, Francisville will be the new hottest neighborhood in the city--it's already among the hottest!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia