U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-18-2020, 08:08 AM
 
695 posts, read 332,324 times
Reputation: 573

Advertisements

A lot can happen between now and November. I mean, Hillary lost the election 2 weeks before the vote with that Comey disaster.

I am so disgusted with Trump that I can't bear the thought of another 4. It would be the end of the US as we've known it on many different levels and would set up the most stifling liberal rights environment we've seen since the 50s. Poor RBG is hanging on by a thread and will be replaced with a monster by the time the snow melts.

I am prepareing for the worst because, despite my best efforts, I am a horrible pessimist. But it's almost too much to bear to envision how this moron will act after winning a second term. He literally personifies the worst character and personaility traits anyone can have. How he has a single supporter is beyond me - let alone the masses that line up 2 days before one of his absurd rallies. This guy wouldn't let a single one of them in from out of the cold if it meant their lives. Yet they are furiously devoted. He's a marketing man. You gotta give it to him.

This all said, I really think that he is deteriorating - mentally and physically - and that even if re-elected, could have a hard time getting through another term. Luckily, the Devil himself is there to pick up the baton, though he would be a classic lame-duck and neutered immediately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-18-2020, 10:15 AM
 
10,671 posts, read 6,250,593 times
Reputation: 3879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
A lot can happen between now and November. I mean, Hillary lost the election 2 weeks before the vote with that Comey disaster.

I am so disgusted with Trump that I can't bear the thought of another 4. It would be the end of the US as we've known it on many different levels and would set up the most stifling liberal rights environment we've seen since the 50s. Poor RBG is hanging on by a thread and will be replaced with a monster by the time the snow melts.

I am prepareing for the worst because, despite my best efforts, I am a horrible pessimist. But it's almost too much to bear to envision how this moron will act after winning a second term. He literally personifies the worst character and personaility traits anyone can have. How he has a single supporter is beyond me - let alone the masses that line up 2 days before one of his absurd rallies. This guy wouldn't let a single one of them in from out of the cold if it meant their lives. Yet they are furiously devoted. He's a marketing man. You gotta give it to him.

This all said, I really think that he is deteriorating - mentally and physically - and that even if re-elected, could have a hard time getting through another term. Luckily, the Devil himself is there to pick up the baton, though he would be a classic lame-duck and neutered immediately.
Did you miss the two major SC decisions this week ...the one today in particular? You're giving up too easily. If they rule in favor of Trump having to reveal his taxes he'll be toast even sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2020, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
511 posts, read 145,491 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Did you miss the two major SC decisions this week ...the one today in particular? If they rule in favor of Trump having to reveal his taxes he'll be toast even sooner.
He is slipping and sliding all over the place. What would do him in is turnout. What would keep him in is turnout. Personally, I think the momentum is squarely on the other side.

The SC forcing him to release his returns is a tantalizing prospect. But it's been proven his base will love him no matter what.

It's all about who turns out.... And who gets counted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2020, 09:50 PM
 
66 posts, read 14,393 times
Reputation: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
A lot can happen between now and November. I mean, Hillary lost the election 2 weeks before the vote with that Comey disaster.

I am so disgusted with Trump that I can't bear the thought of another 4. It would be the end of the US as we've known it on many different levels and would set up the most stifling liberal rights environment we've seen since the 50s. Poor RBG is hanging on by a thread and will be replaced with a monster by the time the snow melts.

I am prepareing for the worst because, despite my best efforts, I am a horrible pessimist. But it's almost too much to bear to envision how this moron will act after winning a second term. He literally personifies the worst character and personaility traits anyone can have. How he has a single supporter is beyond me - let alone the masses that line up 2 days before one of his absurd rallies. This guy wouldn't let a single one of them in from out of the cold if it meant their lives. Yet they are furiously devoted. He's a marketing man. You gotta give it to him.

This all said, I really think that he is deteriorating - mentally and physically - and that even if re-elected, could have a hard time getting through another term. Luckily, the Devil himself is there to pick up the baton, though he would be a classic lame-duck and neutered immediately.
Good grief ... I guess socialism is the better option.
I'm not married to either party, and I've voted 'D' in the past, including Obama's second term, but the Democrats have gone way too far to the left for my liking. They're scary.

Last edited by devdaen; 06-18-2020 at 10:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2020, 09:54 AM
 
695 posts, read 332,324 times
Reputation: 573
You couldn't find a more moderate Democrat than Joe Biden.

Sure there are uber left politicians getting an audience but they represent a small fraction of the Democrats overall. Bernie was about as close as you're gonna get to socialism and that ended poorly for him. There won't be anyone else to pick up that far left socialist mantle. It's always the extreme that get all the media attention but the fact is that the most effective gevernment operates from the middle.

Remember the Tea Party? Those guys seem like moderates in this environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2020, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
7,021 posts, read 3,371,551 times
Reputation: 4480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
You couldn't find a more moderate Democrat than Joe Biden.

Sure there are uber left politicians getting an audience but they represent a small fraction of the Democrats overall. Bernie was about as close as you're gonna get to socialism and that ended poorly for him. There won't be anyone else to pick up that far left socialist mantle. It's always the extreme that get all the media attention but the fact is that the most effective gevernment operates from the middle.

Remember the Tea Party? Those guys seem like moderates in this environment.
One of the things I was at pains to point out during the early Democratic primaries:

Whenever Democratic voters were presented with a choice between Bernie Sanders and Someone Else, 75 percent of them chose Someone Else.

And while some on the right tried to paint Elizabeth Warren as Sanders-lite, she really wasn't. And the other interesting thing about her was: She was a Republican who studied economics; she had a scales-fall-from-her-eyes moment when she started digging into the details of corporate and personal bankruptcies, and that turned her into a Democrat and a fierce advocate for reining in Big Finance and enacting strong consumer protections in that realm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2020, 11:27 AM
 
10,671 posts, read 6,250,593 times
Reputation: 3879
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdaen View Post
Good grief ... I guess socialism is the better option.
I'm not married to either party, and I've voted 'D' in the past, including Obama's second term, but the Democrats have gone way too far to the left for my liking. They're scary.
Biden is not a socialist. He's the Democratic Party's nominee for POTUS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2020, 05:30 PM
 
Location: North Jackson
2,123 posts, read 3,405,145 times
Reputation: 2895
We've lost our way on this thread so expect it to be closed soon. But what exactly is wrong with socialism? Taking care of people first instead of company CEOs? Is that really a radical idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2020, 10:54 AM
 
1,598 posts, read 827,539 times
Reputation: 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
More affluent African-Americans are flocking to those two cities. Prince George's County, outside Washington, is the wealthiest majority-black jurisdiction in the country, and Atlanta has a sizable and growing black upper middle class.

None of these things can be said about Philadelphia.
PG county may have that title but they aren't happy that that title hasn't brought them more amenities. I know because I've lived in metro D.C. and the west side of the District - Montgomery County and the Virginia suburbs have more to offer.

Atlanta benefits, where I've also lived, from his HCBU cluster of schools, its warmer weather, a good cost of living, and its not its competition isn't as robust (Birmingham, Nashville, Charlotte) or farther away (central/south Florida, Raleigh) as what Philly faces.

Plus, the south has a disproportionate number of black residents already, stretching from east Texas to the Carolinas. With the HBCUs in that region, more open opportunities in majority white schools and more companies doing business down south with competitive costs of living, its hard to get people, not only black but other ethnic groups ,roots down south to want to move north. Texas actually has the largest black population now in the U.S. with Florida in the top 4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2020, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Germantown, Philadelphia
7,021 posts, read 3,371,551 times
Reputation: 4480
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Plus, the south has a disproportionate number of black residents already, stretching from east Texas to the Carolinas. With the HBCUs in that region, more open opportunities in majority white schools and more companies doing business down south with competitive costs of living, its hard to get people, not only black but other ethnic groups ,roots down south to want to move north. Texas actually has the largest black population now in the U.S. with Florida in the top 4.
I actually think that, its history notwithstanding, Blacks and whites understand each other better in the South than in any other region of the country, especially those white Southerners who have finally cleared the Confederates out of their attics.

You may be familiar with this old saying among Black folk:

"In the South, they don't care how close you get, as long as you don't get too big. In the North, they don't care how big you get, as long as you don't get too close."

Washington — a city JFK once said "combines Southern efficiency with Northern charm" — is more Northern than Southern in that regard.

Oh, and since you mentioned Texas, I found that the races mixed more freely in public settings in Houston than they appear to in Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top