U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-08-2020, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
950 posts, read 374,346 times
Reputation: 1214

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
In theory maybe, but in reality no. Not once they actually get there. It’s more of a hangout or out stool for or most white people.

Philly has an ugly racial history/reputation as well and the living conditions are pretty harsh and substandard for most black people. It’s also pretty culturally similar to Boston -probably too much so for many black people.
When you make such a statement, I think it is really important to back it up with statistics, facts, and qualifiers for words such as "substandard." What exactly do you mean by substandard? Are you talking about poverty rates? From the recent statistics I can find, the poverty rate for Black Philadelphians hovers around 30-31%. Hardly ethical, yet hardly "most black people." If not poverty rates, what are you talking about, and what statistics do you have to back up "most"? Poverty is surely an issue in Philadelphia and beyond, but it is important not to propagate unsubstantiated claims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-08-2020, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Baltimore
6,360 posts, read 2,686,428 times
Reputation: 4092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
When you make such a statement, I think it is really important to back it up with statistics, facts, and qualifiers for words such as "substandard." What exactly do you mean by substandard? Are you talking about poverty rates? From the recent statistics I can find, the poverty rate for Black Philadelphians hovers around 30-31%. Hardly ethical, yet hardly "most black people." If not poverty rates, what are you talking about, and what statistics do you have to back up "most"? Poverty is surely an issue in Philadelphia and beyond, but it is important not to propagate unsubstantiated claims.

31% black poverty in the biggest boom times in Modern Philadelphian history...


Been to Philly and around Philly a lot. The majority of that rowhome housing stock isn’t going to appeal to conventional middle class blacks. The neighborhoods and homes look shoddy, dirty, cramped and substandard. That leaves an impression. I love Philly, almost moved th ere, would move there. Just speaking the truth. Even if only 31% of black are or I’d bet all my money may of black Philly is low to moderate income with over 40% near the poverty line...adjusted for COL and it’s a bad look. It probably has a higher black poverty rate than any of the other major east coast cities.

My father is from Trenton and spent much of his time in philly in his younger days before moving to Boston. My mentor Nd reverend in Boston was from Philly before he came to New Haven and then settled in Boston. Neither recommended I move to Philly because it’s really rough-I disagreed with them but that’s their perspective.

Compared to the more polished/suburban refined An aesthetic as Back atlanta, black Charlotte, black Dallas or even Black LA-Philly looks grim and ghetto.

Philly is appreciated for its contributions to Black culture and liveliness but by most blacks it’s seen as a hardscrabble place you have to “make it out of” not a destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2020, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
950 posts, read 374,346 times
Reputation: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
31% black poverty in the biggest boom times in Modern Philadelphian history...


Been to Philly and around Philly a lot. The majority of that rowhome housing stock isn’t going to appeal to conventional middle class blacks. The neighborhoods and homes look shoddy, dirty, cramped and substandard. That leaves an impression. I love Philly, almost moved th ere, would move there. Just speaking the truth. Even if only 31% of black are or I’d bet all my money may of black Philly is low to moderate income with over 40% near the poverty line...adjusted for COL and it’s a bad look. It probably has a higher black poverty rate than any of the other major east coast cities.

My father is from Trenton and spent much of his time in philly in his younger days before moving to Boston. My mentor Nd reverend in Boston was from Philly before he came to New Haven and then settled in Boston. Neither recommended I move to Philly because it’s really rough-I disagreed with them but that’s their perspective.

Compared to the more polished/suburban refined An aesthetic as Back atlanta, black Charlotte, black Dallas or even Black LA-Philly looks grim and ghetto.

Philly is appreciated for its contributions to Black culture and liveliness but by most blacks it’s seen as a hardscrabble place you have to “make it out of” not a destination.
31% Black poverty is not "most," regardless of time period. Period.

I am a bit confused about the next paragraph. On the one hand you claim, "The neighborhoods and homes look shoddy, dirty, cramped and substandard." What neighborhoods are you talking about? There are just so many neighborhoods where the adjectives "shoddy" and "substandard" just don't fit. Dirty and cramped, of course, are subjective terms.

Then after claiming "the neighborhoods" are words such as shoddy and substandard, you turn around and say you love Philly? Lol.

I lived on a lower-middle class income for many years. I was happy. It's inaccurate to call that substandard for everyone. What you can make of that income is relative to your circumstances. Everything else you claim about 40% "near" poverty line, adjusting for cost of living, etc. needs qualifiers and statistics.

I don't really care what you think about Philly's aesthetic, but thanks for sharing. Again, give me some facts to back up this claim about how "most blacks" see Philadelphia.

What I originally said still stands. Statements like that need statistics, facts and qualifiers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2020, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
6,360 posts, read 2,686,428 times
Reputation: 4092
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
Willingboro, NJ
My aunt uncle moved live there and cousins grew up there. I was just there In the “G” section last week. I like Willingboro. This is accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2020, 12:13 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
6,360 posts, read 2,686,428 times
Reputation: 4092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
31% Black poverty is not "most," regardless of time period. Period.

I am a bit confused about the next paragraph. On the one hand you claim, "The neighborhoods and homes look shoddy, dirty, cramped and substandard." What neighborhoods are you talking about? There are just so many neighborhoods where the adjectives "shoddy" and "substandard" just don't fit. Dirty and cramped, of course, are subjective terms.

Then after claiming "the neighborhoods" are words such as shoddy and substandard, you turn around and say you love Philly? Lol.

I lived on a lower-middle class income for many years. I was happy. It's inaccurate to call that substandard for everyone. What you can make of that income is relative to your circumstances. Everything else you claim about 40% "near" poverty line, adjusting for cost of living, etc. needs qualifiers and statistics.

I don't really care what you think about Philly's aesthetic, but thanks for sharing. Again, give me some facts to back up this claim about how "most blacks" see Philadelphia.

What I originally said still stands. Statements like that need statistics, facts and qualifiers.
Defensive defensive defensive. How are you gonna act like you don’t know what I’m talking about cmon..be real.

I love Philly because I’m a young black guy with friends and family there And I’m from an inner city area. I love the energy and the food and walkability. The people are prideful and hardworking too

Your average middle class 30-40 something black person probably doesn’t feel the same way as I do.

You begging adamant about Philly won’t change anything unfortunately..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2020, 12:21 PM
 
108 posts, read 16,579 times
Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The main reason is that Philly's poverty rate among African Americans is much higher than in cities like Atlanta or Washington DC. It also doesn't help that Blacks live in the majority of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Philly. Kinda hard to be for a city to be viewed as a "Black mecca" when the least desirable areas in the city have a majority Black population.
Well, both DC and Atlanta had high black poverty rates. Philly, like Baltimore, is a laggard.

Atlanta city proper only recently, especially this past decade, saw real population growth. There is/was a reason the vast majority of metro ATL growth was around the city of Atlanta, not in Atlanta proper.

Same with DC. Now they have whites moving blacks out of the district into Prince George County. The white police brutality to blacks movement may assuage their self-centered white guilt, but is all contridicted by these very same virtue signaling white folks moving in and forcing blacks out.

The DC 2020 census should be interesting in that by the 2010 census, the black population was already dropping precipitously.

Philly's 2020 census should be interesting as well. Estimates show the black population losing just a bit; however, while growth is expected for Philly, it's not all that much compared to DC, Atlanta, and many other large cities.

Philly's already heading for being out of the top 10 largest cities. Expect to be down to #7 with the 2020 count.

Low general population growth does not a black mecca city make.

Last edited by LNQ20; 06-08-2020 at 12:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2020, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
950 posts, read 374,346 times
Reputation: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Defensive defensive defensive. How are you gonna act like you don’t know what I’m talking about cmon..be real.

I love Philly because I’m a young black guy with friends and family there And I’m from an inner city area. I love the energy and the food and walkability. The people are prideful and hardworking too

Your average middle class 30-40 something black person probably doesn’t feel the same way as I do.

You begging adamant about Philly won’t change anything unfortunately..
You sound like someone who can't really engage with the content of what I'm saying, so you decide to deflect and call me "defensive." If you consider the refutation of unsubstantiated claims "defensive," you may want to work on your understanding of the term.

It seems like you've been here long enough to know that showing up on another city's forum and making such claims will welcome some push back. Are you opposed to backing up your statements?

I'm not sure what you think I'm trying to "change," but thank you for the advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2020, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
6,360 posts, read 2,686,428 times
Reputation: 4092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
You sound like someone who can't really engage with the content of what I'm saying, so you decide to deflect and call me "defensive." If you consider the refutation of unsubstantiated claims "defensive," you may want to work on your understanding of the term.

It seems like you've been here long enough to know that showing up on another city's forum and making such claims will welcome some push back. Are you opposed to backing up your statements?

I'm not sure what you think I'm trying to "change," but thank you for the advice.
1. This isn’t a fact based arguments. The facts you have presented have been grim. You tried to deny 40% of balack Philly lives near poverty. Commons sense based off the poverty rate would dictate otherwise.

2. I’m an outside black person. Shouldn’t you all be looking at my answers rather than a native white person. If you want to know why it’s not a destination?

3. I’m calling you defensive because you are defensive, right?

4.I’m not willing to dig up Ohikky stats because I’m at work. Maybe in a few hours.

5. I think I gave a pretty fair and balance perspective on Philly, like I said I LOVE Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2020, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
950 posts, read 374,346 times
Reputation: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
1. This isn’t a fact based arguments. The facts you have presented have been grim. You tried to deny 40% of balack Philly lives near poverty. Commons sense based off the poverty rate would dictate otherwise.

2. I’m an outside black person. Shouldn’t you all be looking at my answers rather than a native white person. If you want to know why it’s not a destination?

3. I’m calling you defensive because you are defensive, right?

4.I’m not willing to dig up Ohikky stats because I’m at work. Maybe in a few hours.

5. I think I gave a pretty fair and balance perspective on Philly, like I said I LOVE Philly.
1. It is because you stated a “fact” you can’t back up. About the 40% bit, I actually asked you to just back it up. Go ahead!

2. Ok.

3. You’re calling me defensive to deflect from the supposed facts you can’t back up.

4. Ok let us know when you’ve taken the time.

5. Great to hear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2020, 12:47 PM
 
Location: Baltimore
6,360 posts, read 2,686,428 times
Reputation: 4092
Let’s start hear,

Any native Black Philadelphians think fewer than 40% of black people in Philly live near or below the poverty line?

And here: https://generocity.org/philly/2020/0...ever-imagined/

“While calculations based on the federal poverty guidelines indicate that 25% of Philadelphia families lives in poverty, the Self-Sufficiency Standard shows the actual share of families unable to meet their basic needs is almost twice that much, at 43%.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top