Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 03:17 PM

8,968 posts, read 21,050,255 times

Advertisements

Now that MarketStEl jogged my memory about where East Oak Lane, I'm remembering that it's a solid neighborhood that borders both suburban Cheltenham to the north and some slightly more challenged areas as one approaches Broad. Looking at some online examples, many of those grand old homes are still being kept up well.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-01-2020 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: removed quote from banned poster :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 04:34 PM

13,942 posts, read 8,788,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
So much one could unpack here. Suffice it to say that the 40's-60's were better for some Philadelphians than others. I do wish those diverse transit options were around today.

Now that MarketStEl jogged my memory about where East Oak Lane, I'm remembering that it's a solid neighborhood that borders both suburban Cheltenham to the north and some slightly more challenged areas as one approaches Broad. Looking at some online examples, many of those grand old homes are still being kept up well.
The Broad Street Subway survives; only Logan Regional Rail station has disappeared. (So has Tabor, which was combined with old Fern Rock into a single station connecting to the BSL near where the latter used to be. This was a project connected to the one that shut down the entire Reading Railroad main line south of this station so its bridges from Wayne Junction south could all be rebuilt shortly after the Commuter Tunnel opened in 1984.)

And the years have been pretty kind to not only both Oak Lanes — more affluent East and more workaday West — but also to Wynnefield, Wynnefield Heights and the newer part of East Mt. Airy most now call Cedarbrook and whose residents hate it when they do. All of these neighborhood have in common the equally common American residential succession pattern whereby a heavily Jewish neighborhood becomes heavily black. (One reason why: the racially restrictive covenants that ran with house lots in many cities forbade sales to Jews as well as blacks, so once blacks started migrating to (and within) these cities, some of the only places they could buy were the Jewish neighborhoods.)

All of these neighborhoods put the lie to the once-commonly-held assumption that white flight and neighborhood decline are inextricably linked. (Actually, I think that assumption is commonly held still despite growing evidence to the contrary in a number of cities and suburbs.)

Old 05-30-2020, 12:20 PM

712 posts, read 695,092 times
The funny thing about the notion of Atlanta being the black Mecca is that Atlanta has been rapidly becoming whiter for well over a decade. Black folks are barely a majority now and if current trends hold white folks will eventually end up the largest racial group in the city.

The Atlanta suburbs are the actual black Mecca moreso than the city. Black folks are a large portion of the city’s eastern and southern suburbs and a growing part of the northern suburbs. Over the past thirty years a huge number of black people have moved from the Northeast and Midwest to suburban Atlanta. One big difference between Philadelphia and Atlanta is that Atlanta’s suburbs are far more racially and ethnically diverse.

Also, East Oak Lane was never predominantly Jewish. There was only ever one synagogue in East Oak Lane. The shuls in that area were concentrated in West Oak Lane and Logan because that’s where Jews were concentrated.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 06-01-2020 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: removed quote from banned poster

Old 05-30-2020, 12:23 PM

34,107 posts, read 18,346,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
So they moved to Ardmore; where did the others go?
Morton.

Old 05-31-2020, 09:22 PM

7,646 posts, read 6,412,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
No need to pile on the black folks in Philly. The white people in Philly are poor also.

Check the per capita income of Philly, and you'll see why it's no mecca for anyone. Of course there are good jobs to be had for many, white and black, but in general Philly is just more poor than DC and Atlanta.

Philly is more like Baltimore. Unfortunately.

I feel way safer in philly than in baltimore. Baltimore is like philly 20 years ago.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:06 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,495,853 times
https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreak...m_source=share

Probably because of instances like this. One of these videos has 160,000 upvotes. The other has 50,000. And yet, I have yet to see anything about these instances in the News or on YouTube.

Black Philadelphians are constantly being abused by the Philadelphia Police Department. No one really seems to actually care. Not the Mayor, not the Police Commissioner, and honestly it doesn't seem like the people being abused really care enough to do anything about it. It's just an average day to them.

Old 06-04-2020, 07:15 AM

7,730 posts, read 5,441,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post

Probably because of instances like this. One of these videos has 160,000 upvotes. The other has 50,000. And yet, I have yet to see anything about these instances in the News or on YouTube.

Black Philadelphians are constantly being abused by the Philadelphia Police Department. No one really seems to actually care. Not the Mayor, not the Police Commissioner, and honestly it doesn't seem like the people being abused really care enough to do anything about it. It's just an average day to them.

There certainly have been a lot of scenes like this play out and the police commissioner has said that internal affairs is looking into these videos. The guy in the second video is full of it and trying to bait the officers though. He has a full breathe and no one is on him really on him as he yells 'I can't breathe'. I am sure this going to be a tactic for a lot of criminals.

Old 06-04-2020, 11:02 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,495,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
There certainly have been a lot of scenes like this play out and the police commissioner has said that internal affairs is looking into these videos. The guy in the second video is full of it and trying to bait the officers though. He has a full breathe and no one is on him really on him as he yells 'I can't breathe'. I am sure this going to be a tactic for a lot of criminals.
Yeah I hear you I guess. I saw someone saying on an unrelated video saying when a person can speak that clearly, it's obvious they're able to breathe somewhat. Regardless, that still a pretty messed up choice of words by the officer right after another black man was suffocated to death. The man could have been scared for his life too, understandably.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:52 PM

9,309 posts, read 12,898,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
Also, East Oak Lane was never predominantly Jewish. There was only ever one synagogue in East Oak Lane. The shuls in that area were concentrated in West Oak Lane and Logan because that’s where Jews were concentrated.
Maybe in the ‘30s and ‘40s, but even then the Jewish population was not insubstantial. It was big enough to have a Hadassah chapter, of which my Great-Aunt was President. By the 1960s, East Oak Lane became very Jewish, and it’s Jewish population was estimated at 43% in 1970.

Of course, things changed very quickly after that. That same Great-Aunt moved to the Cedarbrook apartment complex (now the Towers at Wyncote) in the latter half of that decade.

Old 06-08-2020, 12:10 PM

21,421 posts, read 12,389,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
I wonder if white people consider Boston to be their mecca?
In theory maybe, but in reality no. Not once they actually get there. It’s more of a hangout or out stool for or most white people.

Philly has an ugly racial history/reputation as well and the living conditions are pretty harsh and substandard for most black people. It’s also pretty culturally similar to Boston -probably too much so for many black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia