Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 07:06 AM

7,730 posts, read 5,448,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Yes, it has taken an ugly turn in the last 20mins. Should have shut the highway down before, it was a planned protest.
It’s worth noting that this only lasted probably 10-15 mins and was over. It was the big highlight of the day. Which compared to other cities is pretty good imo.

I did see a looter was shot and killed trying to loot a gun store in south Philadelphia over night.

Old 06-02-2020, 07:33 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,831,471 times
Re: I-676 protest

The problem is that it's impossible to allow for such a large protest, even if it's peaceful, because of what happened in days prior. And let's not forget that this peaceful protest was not going to disperse prior to the curfew. It had all the makings of a disaster.

I may sound like kyb01 here, but if these folks want to make change, lighting candles and writing on signs isn't going to do much. They need to get politically active, get law degrees, and make change. But I'm not so sure they will, even though they're young enough to do so. Seems to me they want things to change from walking a sign downtown while they vape and violate curfew. Then they complain that the police got aggressive.

Old 06-02-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Re: I-676 protest

The problem is that it's impossible to allow for such a large protest, even if it's peaceful, because of what happened in days prior. And let's not forget that this peaceful protest was not going to disperse prior to the curfew. It had all the makings of a disaster.

I may sound like kyb01 here, but if these folks want to make change, lighting candles and writing on signs isn't going to do much. They need to get politically active, get law degrees, and make change. But I'm not so sure they will, even though they're young enough to do so. Seems to me they want things to change from walking a sign downtown while they vape and violate curfew. Then they complain that the police got aggressive.

The problem with these protests is people show up with all different agendas. Malcolm Jenkins, very prominent NFL football player, basically led that protest yesterday. It was all peaceful until a splinter group decided to go the opposite way towards the highway. These people were looking to face off with the police.

I honestly think the police did the right thing for the most part. It was a chaotic situation with random people stuck in their cars on the expressway. It was a dangerous situation and they had to move the people off the road. I think arresting 50 of them right off the bat was a smart idea. It broke whatever group momentum these agaitators had and led to smaller peaceful protests for the rest of the day. About the only good idea Kenney has had is starting the curfews early here. NYC's 11PM curfew turned into a straight up disaster last night.

You got love the NY Times reporting on this. Literally burying the looting stories on the side panel of the front page. In Philadelphia if that happened, the Inquirer would have huge headlines like "THE CITY IS BURNING".

Old 06-02-2020, 07:51 AM

9,340 posts, read 9,202,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Well it's 10 pm and the city is still standing. So the problem seems to be these groups that splinter off the main peaceful protest and after nothing to do
There were some disturbing instances of police getting aggresive with peaceful protestors on 676, but it was largely peaceful from the reports I got from friends. Its usually a small group that breaks (as you said) and causes the trouble.

But the national guard is literally stationed outside of City Hall so I don't expect a repeat of Saturday night, unless until the leave :/

Also, the Media is doing its typical job of working everyone up claiming cities such as Philadelphia are "was zones" when that is by and large not the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I wonder how the King of Prussia area would've handled all these protestors and looters near their stores.
There was an attempt, Montgomery County police swarmed the mall within minutes of hearing about a possible loot on social media.

There are protests everywhere, but a group thought it was a good idea to advertise a "loot the KoP mall" on social media.

Last edited by cpomp; 06-02-2020 at 08:23 AM..

Old 06-02-2020, 08:00 AM

Can we also talk about how dumb the stand off between the two groups of people was in Fishtown?

It's like in the movie anchorman when the different news teams show up to fight each other.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:06 AM

The media buildings should be looted if anything. The media is about as vile, untruthful, and hype-driven as possible. They're fighting each other and spreading misinformation, alongside hyping individual stories that are inciting fear and anger.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:08 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,539,875 times
So I walked down to the protest yesterday, it's not far from my house.

One problem I noticed is organization for a lack of a better description. so they walked to the art museum, took a knee and then not sure what the agenda was supposed to be? it seem like a lot of people milling around. any time you get that scenario some thing is bound to turn ugly.

Can we post a video, I have some cell phone pics and video from my spot? I pretty much keep to the back of the Rodin museum.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Can we also talk about how dumb the stand off between the two groups of people was in Fishtown?

It's like in the movie anchorman when the different news teams show up to fight each other.
I couldn't find what happened in FT. Who was fighting and what was it about? I have family over there and was concerned it would reach them. Then I never heard anything again.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I couldn't find what happened in FT. Who was fighting and what was it about? I have family over there and was concerned it would reach them. Then I never heard anything again.
https://nypost.com/2020/06/01/protes...-neighborhood/

Two seperate groups yelling at each other. One side calling themselves 'old fishtown' while the other calling themselves the 'new fishtown'. Both sides stupid.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
https://nypost.com/2020/06/01/protes...-neighborhood/

Two seperate groups yelling at each other. One side calling themselves 'old fishtown' while the other calling themselves the 'new fishtown'. Both sides stupid.
Thanks for the link! Would rep you if I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia