Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 01:47 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,649,074 times

Advertisements

Philly has a special place in my heart, and although I used to visit Philly from my residence in NY quite often in the 1990's, I never lived in Philly - thus my knowledge base is limited.

On another thread, posters mentioned the manufacturing decline in Philly, that took place in the 70's.

How much of Philly's total employment consisted of manufacturing in the 1970's, and what kinds of products were made in the City?

What were the main causes of manufacturing leaving the City, and where did employers go (e.g. NJ, DE, or far away)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 05:52 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Philly has a special place in my heart, and although I used to visit Philly from my residence in NY quite often in the 1990's, I never lived in Philly - thus my knowledge base is limited.

On another thread, posters mentioned the manufacturing decline in Philly, that took place in the 70's.

How much of Philly's total employment consisted of manufacturing in the 1970's, and what kinds of products were made in the City?

What were the main causes of manufacturing leaving the City, and where did employers go (e.g. NJ, DE, or far away)?
I'm sure that you've seen me post about the mill closures. Many mill workers went to North Carolina. In fact, in recent years I discovered that many NC-bound mill workers ended up in or near Gastonia, just outside of Charlotte.

Old 06-02-2020, 06:54 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,513,631 times
Some informative resources:

https://www.workshopoftheworld.com/o.../overview.html

https://philadelphiaencyclopedia.org...neighborhoods/

https://philadelphiaencyclopedia.org...xtile-workers/

Philadelphia was not dominated by any single one industry. It was known for being very diverse manufacturing products in all industries.

Old 06-02-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm sure that you've seen me post about the mill closures. Many mill workers went to North Carolina. In fact, in recent years I discovered that many NC-bound mill workers ended up in or near Gastonia, just outside of Charlotte.
And after I put up this thread, you came to mind .

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Some informative resources:

https://www.workshopoftheworld.com/o.../overview.html

https://philadelphiaencyclopedia.org...neighborhoods/

https://philadelphiaencyclopedia.org...xtile-workers/

Philadelphia was not dominated by any single one industry. It was known for being very diverse manufacturing products in all industries.
Thanks so much for the enclosed links

Old 06-02-2020, 08:52 AM

Quote:
And after I put up this thread, you came to mind .

Thanks so much for the enclosed links

There aren't many of us who post on this board who remember the mill closures. For that matter, they didn't all close. The local department stores all carried tablecloths, curtains, and draperies made by Quaker Lace.

Old 06-02-2020, 11:13 AM

634 posts, read 1,165,344 times
Quote:
The RCA plant closing in Camden, the sale of Budd Company and the closure of the Philadelphia Navy Yard pretty much decimated manufacturing in the Delaware Valley.

RCA couldn't complete with the Japanese.
The Germans let Budd Co die.
Navy Yard was a victim of budget cuts.

Mind you there were hundreds of parts suppliers that also closed shop when these entities closed.

Old 06-02-2020, 05:56 PM

Quote:
There aren't many of us who post on this board who remember the mill closures. For that matter, they didn't all close. The local department stores all carried tablecloths, curtains, and draperies made by Quaker Lace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
The RCA plant closing in Camden, the sale of Budd Company and the closure of the Philadelphia Navy Yard pretty much decimated manufacturing in the Delaware Valley.

RCA couldn't complete with the Japanese.
The Germans let Budd Co die.
Navy Yard was a victim of budget cuts.

Mind you there were hundreds of parts suppliers that also closed shop when these entities closed.
Thank you both, for sharing a bit of Philadelphia's history with me

Old 06-03-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Thank you both, for sharing a bit of Philadelphia's history with me
You're welcome. It wasn't just the manufacturing. For instance, the Villager clothing line was designed and made in Philadelphia.

Philadelphia College of Textiles and Sciences became Philadelphia University. It's now involved with a merger.

Philadelphia College of Art had a textile major that involved weaving. Moore College of Art had a fashion design major.

Old 06-03-2020, 04:21 PM

5,298 posts, read 6,177,484 times
Pennsylvania and Philadelphia in particular were absolutely loaded with industries of all kinds.

You can download for free on Google Books the 4th Industrial Directory of the Commonwealth of PA (1922), which lists industries of different kinds and industries in each city and town. It's amazing to look through.

https://books.google.com/books?id=oI...lvania&f=false

Old 06-04-2020, 09:51 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,521,983 times
Quote:
That's interesting. I've heard a lot of black Philadelphians came from NC in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia