U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2008, 10:30 AM
 
4 posts, read 18,854 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

I lived in the Fishtown area of Kensington from birth to 21 years (a scrappy area) and I still love the city, but I'm tired of having to change our neighborhoods to suite the New Yorkers and oddballs.

Since when does covering a school in murals equal neighborhood building? Why can't we restore some of the old buildings? Give the neighborhood money for our fire departments, schools and police instead furthering some utopian primary colored wet paint dream. I'm tired of accommodating them and they can GTHO if they don't like our neighborhoods. That guy above is a smug little New York candy****.

I love the city because of and despite it's gritty appearance. I love the access to restaurants of all types. I love seeing all of the families out shopping with 5 kids in tow. I love the beautiful churches and listening to the Septa pull away from a stop below my bedroom window. I love the cobblestone paths and the sound of metal clinking in a shop. I love the smell of dirty snow in winter. Friends and family are always warm and I don't need a stranger to acknowledge my self worth. If you need love, go to church.

I'm the problem with this city (unfriendly, doesn't like New York candy***** change) but I'm also one of the people keeping it running. Go ahead and hate me.

Last edited by FindingZen; 07-06-2008 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: Watch the language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-07-2008, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Philly, Philly
932 posts, read 1,547,758 times
Reputation: 331
I attend Temple Univeristy and I have been looking for someway to express my feelings about Philly, but I've never looked here until now. I do hate it when people talk badly about the place I live in Maryland and I get defensive but I just have to let this out. Im sorry but this is my most honest opinion.

First, when I came to Philly in early 2004 to visit the college, I loved it and made this my first choice. But then when I started in the fall my opinion changed, but only slightly. The people were absolutly rude and looked as if they have lived a life in hell and now roamed the earth. Men, esp. black males are very aggressive in the way they approach women.1) someone tried to hit me with their car at the corner of broad and diamond st by the gas station because I ignored his pleas for my number. 2) I had someone actually stop traffic on broad st. and get out of their car while a group of us were walking so that he could talk to one of my friends. Hello Scary! This was freshman year.

Next, sophmore year was a little bit better, I really cannot remember any incidents but I bet that there were some.I was still defending and loving it here

Ok So This is where it went downhill. After sophmore year, students have to find their own housing. Ok that was cool. Me and my 3 roomates looked for a nice place to live, somewhere close but not too close. So we went with a house on Dauphin and Lambert St. Ok our stupid mistake. We are not from the area so we just wanted a nice house and who could beat a rowhouse for 1500 everything included? It was cool in the beginning and then the real house showed the first night we slept there the night before classes began. The roof began to leak in the middle of the night causeing our fire alarm to blare at 4 in the morning..talk about scared to death! then the mice started to come and we complained about them for months and our landlord did what? NOTHING! To make a long story short, I've already had a bad house experience at 19. Lessoned Learned.

Yea and we lived in the hood. My boyfriend was scared to park his car on the street. The boys around the neighborhood would smoke on our steps, someone began to open our mail, someone did a hit and run on my roomates car, they had a major drug bust across the street while my younger brother was visiting and they wouldn't let me go into my house. I've seen a police chase on foot....OMG the list could go on and on and this was fall 2006 until we moved Spring 2007.

Senior year, Now we reside on N. Broad St. in a nice loft style apt. but the people that live there in the other apts. are disgusting. The have beer parties and when i come home from work some nights there is vomit all over the steps and they will not and refuse to take out there assigned garbage can!!! ARGGG!

I work at KOP Mall while I am in school and I absolutly hate all the covert racism that is there. I feel like people look down on me just because I work in the mall at a clothing store EVERYONE and they mama shops at. My store is the busiest store in the mall sometimes and the people that come in there are just as rude and obnoxious as can be. I have a WTF moment every 5 freaking minutes. I hate working there with a passion because of the customers that shop there. someone once changed their tampon in the fitting room, how disgusting! And mothers, why do you not have a stroller for your 1 month old baby? Carrying them around with their heads cocked to the side looking way too uncomfortable is not at all cute!

And my last rant goes to SEPTA!!!! What a horrible piece of crap! That sugar honey iced tea is not worth nothing and is very unreliable! The stations are dirty and smell like urine. IMO, they need to tear the whole thing down and start over. I feel like I am going to catch a disease just breathing the air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one understands my contemp of septa!

Sorry to those that love it here, but January 2008 I graduate and will not come back to this hell hold!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2008, 03:58 PM
 
1,031 posts, read 2,443,110 times
Reputation: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
I attend Temple Univeristy and I have been looking for someway to express my feelings about Philly, but I've never looked here until now. I do hate it when people talk badly about the place I live in Maryland and I get defensive but I just have to let this out. Im sorry but this is my most honest opinion.

First, when I came to Philly in early 2004 to visit the college, I loved it and made this my first choice. But then when I started in the fall my opinion changed, but only slightly. The people were absolutly rude and looked as if they have lived a life in hell and now roamed the earth. Men, esp. black males are very aggressive in the way they approach women.1) someone tried to hit me with their car at the corner of broad and diamond st by the gas station because I ignored his pleas for my number. 2) I had someone actually stop traffic on broad st. and get out of their car while a group of us were walking so that he could talk to one of my friends. Hello Scary! This was freshman year.

Next, sophmore year was a little bit better, I really cannot remember any incidents but I bet that there were some.I was still defending and loving it here

Ok So This is where it went downhill. After sophmore year, students have to find their own housing. Ok that was cool. Me and my 3 roomates looked for a nice place to live, somewhere close but not too close. So we went with a house on Dauphin and Lambert St. Ok our stupid mistake. We are not from the area so we just wanted a nice house and who could beat a rowhouse for 1500 everything included? It was cool in the beginning and then the real house showed the first night we slept there the night before classes began. The roof began to leak in the middle of the night causeing our fire alarm to blare at 4 in the morning..talk about scared to death! then the mice started to come and we complained about them for months and our landlord did what? NOTHING! To make a long story short, I've already had a bad house experience at 19. Lessoned Learned.

Yea and we lived in the hood. My boyfriend was scared to park his car on the street. The boys around the neighborhood would smoke on our steps, someone began to open our mail, someone did a hit and run on my roomates car, they had a major drug bust across the street while my younger brother was visiting and they wouldn't let me go into my house. I've seen a police chase on foot....OMG the list could go on and on and this was fall 2006 until we moved Spring 2007.

Senior year, Now we reside on N. Broad St. in a nice loft style apt. but the people that live there in the other apts. are disgusting. The have beer parties and when i come home from work some nights there is vomit all over the steps and they will not and refuse to take out there assigned garbage can!!! ARGGG!

I work at KOP Mall while I am in school and I absolutly hate all the covert racism that is there. I feel like people look down on me just because I work in the mall at a clothing store EVERYONE and they mama shops at. My store is the busiest store in the mall sometimes and the people that come in there are just as rude and obnoxious as can be. I have a WTF moment every 5 freaking minutes. I hate working there with a passion because of the customers that shop there. someone once changed their tampon in the fitting room, how disgusting! And mothers, why do you not have a stroller for your 1 month old baby? Carrying them around with their heads cocked to the side looking way too uncomfortable is not at all cute!

And my last rant goes to SEPTA!!!! What a horrible piece of crap! That sugar honey iced tea is not worth nothing and is very unreliable! The stations are dirty and smell like urine. IMO, they need to tear the whole thing down and start over. I feel like I am going to catch a disease just breathing the air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one understands my contemp of septa!

Sorry to those that love it here, but January 2008 I graduate and will not come back to this hell hold!
Sorry to hear about your negative experiences. Just one question though.... if you graduated in January and you already left, what are you doing on the Philly board?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-07-2008, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
Reputation: 2669
^^^she was posting her experience of living in philly. nothin like an honest opinion...

keep em coming!

Last edited by john_starks; 07-07-2008 at 08:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2008, 07:53 AM
 
Location: Philly, Philly
932 posts, read 1,547,758 times
Reputation: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Sorry to hear about your negative experiences. Just one question though.... if you graduated in January and you already left, what are you doing on the Philly board?
sorry I meant 2009...but that was just how heated I was, but I feel better now.

I knew someone who lives in Chestnut Hill. Before I met him, I never knew it had existed. I loved it there and I would love to live in that area, but North Philly is not where its at!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2008, 09:45 AM
 
8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
I attend Temple Univeristy and I have been looking for someway to express my feelings about Philly, but I've never looked here until now. I do hate it when people talk badly about the place I live in Maryland and I get defensive but I just have to let this out. Im sorry but this is my most honest opinion.

First, when I came to Philly in early 2004 to visit the college, I loved it and made this my first choice. But then when I started in the fall my opinion changed, but only slightly. The people were absolutly rude and looked as if they have lived a life in hell and now roamed the earth. Men, esp. black males are very aggressive in the way they approach women.1) someone tried to hit me with their car at the corner of broad and diamond st by the gas station because I ignored his pleas for my number. 2) I had someone actually stop traffic on broad st. and get out of their car while a group of us were walking so that he could talk to one of my friends. Hello Scary! This was freshman year.

Next, sophmore year was a little bit better, I really cannot remember any incidents but I bet that there were some.I was still defending and loving it here

Ok So This is where it went downhill. After sophmore year, students have to find their own housing. Ok that was cool. Me and my 3 roomates looked for a nice place to live, somewhere close but not too close. So we went with a house on Dauphin and Lambert St. Ok our stupid mistake. We are not from the area so we just wanted a nice house and who could beat a rowhouse for 1500 everything included? It was cool in the beginning and then the real house showed the first night we slept there the night before classes began. The roof began to leak in the middle of the night causeing our fire alarm to blare at 4 in the morning..talk about scared to death! then the mice started to come and we complained about them for months and our landlord did what? NOTHING! To make a long story short, I've already had a bad house experience at 19. Lessoned Learned.

Yea and we lived in the hood. My boyfriend was scared to park his car on the street. The boys around the neighborhood would smoke on our steps, someone began to open our mail, someone did a hit and run on my roomates car, they had a major drug bust across the street while my younger brother was visiting and they wouldn't let me go into my house. I've seen a police chase on foot....OMG the list could go on and on and this was fall 2006 until we moved Spring 2007.

Senior year, Now we reside on N. Broad St. in a nice loft style apt. but the people that live there in the other apts. are disgusting. The have beer parties and when i come home from work some nights there is vomit all over the steps and they will not and refuse to take out there assigned garbage can!!! ARGGG!

I work at KOP Mall while I am in school and I absolutly hate all the covert racism that is there. I feel like people look down on me just because I work in the mall at a clothing store EVERYONE and they mama shops at. My store is the busiest store in the mall sometimes and the people that come in there are just as rude and obnoxious as can be. I have a WTF moment every 5 freaking minutes. I hate working there with a passion because of the customers that shop there. someone once changed their tampon in the fitting room, how disgusting! And mothers, why do you not have a stroller for your 1 month old baby? Carrying them around with their heads cocked to the side looking way too uncomfortable is not at all cute!

And my last rant goes to SEPTA!!!! What a horrible piece of crap! That sugar honey iced tea is not worth nothing and is very unreliable! The stations are dirty and smell like urine. IMO, they need to tear the whole thing down and start over. I feel like I am going to catch a disease just breathing the air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one understands my contemp of septa!

Sorry to those that love it here, but January 2008 I graduate and will not come back to this hell hold!
Well I can certianly respect your passion and appreciate your detail. Sometimes one can learn a lot of things in college outside the classroom.

The area around Temple isn't the greatest... and one does take a gamble living immediately off-campus. Moving further down Broad Street was a reasonable decision... but sometimes you can't regulate your fellow students or younger professionals' behavior.

I certainly can't excuse the prejudice you perceived at the King of Prussia Mall. Some of the other behaviors are surprising for a property that markets itself as upscale but I imagine that it is not unique to this complex.

And if you're talking about the Broad Street Line and Market-Frankford El then yeah, they seem to be uneven at best with maintaining the hygiene on the tracks. It seems to get better whenever there is a major convention going on.

I'm sorry that Philly didn't turn out to be what you hoped for. I'm sure you'll use the experience to help figure out the criteria for the next place you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2008, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Philly, Philly
932 posts, read 1,547,758 times
Reputation: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Well I can certianly respect your passion and appreciate your detail. Sometimes one can learn a lot of things in college outside the classroom.

The area around Temple isn't the greatest... and one does take a gamble living immediately off-campus. Moving further down Broad Street was a reasonable decision... but sometimes you can't regulate your fellow students or younger professionals' behavior.

I certainly can't excuse the prejudice you perceived at the King of Prussia Mall. Some of the other behaviors are surprising for a property that markets itself as upscale but I imagine that it is not unique to this complex.

And if you're talking about the Broad Street Line and Market-Frankford El then yeah, they seem to be uneven at best with maintaining the hygiene on the tracks. It seems to get better whenever there is a major convention going on.

I'm sorry that Philly didn't turn out to be what you hoped for. I'm sure you'll use the experience to help figure out the criteria for the next place you live.
Yes, I will. Thanks!

I live in the DC suburbs so I guess I am used to DC life which to me is much more easy going and laid back. Im sure everyone has their good times and bad times in a city but I can understand why some people do not like Philly.

I went through and read the thread and some of the posts are completely wrong. I am not some poor person who lived in the hood and is complaining about it. I was bambozzled and mislead about the area surrounding Temple. When I lived on campus, I loved every minute, but as I grew up and became an adult here and then began to explore, I had a zillion bad experiences. From people that I have met, to the place where I work. Its really hard to like it here when a man walks past you and his pants are half way down with no underwear on! or when a person gets on the train and smells like he pooped on himself and everyone has to exit.

I get off work between 10 and 11 and I catch the 125 and then I catch the broad st. line which stops at the corner of my apt, so I have had my fair share of moments at night on Septa.

I do have a few good things to say though, the nightlife is great. I love the museums and Fairmount Park where I did the AIDS walk. 8 miles is a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2008, 10:48 AM
 
3,490 posts, read 7,513,774 times
Reputation: 3957
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
In all due respect take the blinders off. 98% of the people in the Philadlephia area could care less about being in close proximity to NYC. What a bunch of narcissistic,self involved, egomanical bullcrap.

Classic.NYers come down down to live in Philly and they proclaim the best part of Philaldephia is its proximity to NYC. No. The best part FOR YOU is its close proximity to NYC because you are homesick. Probably 2% of the native people in the Philadlephia area give NYC a second thought. Thats not to say NYC doesnt have some fantastic attributes.


There is alot more to NYC than trendy midtown and parts of Brooklyn.Tell the whole story.Dont harp on the bad aspects of Philadlephia and then turn around and give us Midtown and Park Slope.What about the Bronx, huge swaths of Queens/Broolyn? You let us know about Philadlephias crime, what about NYC's? You somehow conveniently left that part out of the equation.





This would be easier to digest if it werent coming from a NY'er. Have you checked NYC Comp Stat recently. You might want to hold off on highlighting other cities crime problems. You are having enough problems of your own in NYC in the first 6 months of 2008. Like 20,000 grand larcenies. 10,000 robberies.9200 burglaries.7700 assaults.700 rapes.250 murders. There are 45 people a day getting assaulted in NYC.




There is currently 5 Billion dollars worth of projects going on in Center City and University City.Condos,Class A office space,educational,cultural improvements.

Some call colleges and hospitals a lifeline, others call them a normal part of the fabric of what makes up a great city.Universities and colleges in Philaldephia act no differently then they do in most cities.

Fortune 500 companies in Center City Philadlephia
Sunoco
Comcast
Cigna
Aramark
Rohm & Haas
Lincoln Financial
Unisys
Crown Holdings
Soverign Bankcorp
Pep Boys

750 retail/restaurant establishments in Center City alone.2 of the best urban neighborhoods in the country Chestnut Hill + Center City. Fairmount Park is 11x bigger than Central Park.Northeast Philly has 250,000 middle class residents,NW Philly is one of the best parcels of any city in the country.



I agree that certain areas of immediate Center City(Market east in particular) leave alot to be desired and quite frankly its mind boggling they are allowed to remain in their condition. That being said University City is picking up its slack and Center City boundaries include some amazing neighborhoods beside Rittenhouse. Such as Soceity Hill,Fitler Square,Art Museum,Bella Vista,Queen Village,Spring Garden,Old City etc.
Round of applause. Couldn't agree more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2008, 04:35 PM
 
Location: NJ
980 posts, read 2,477,643 times
Reputation: 1860
I live in NJ and work in Philly. I generally like the city but there are some things about Philly that really suck. The main thing is the rudeness of people. Being a suburbanite, this is probably more noticeable to me than it might be to somebody who lives in the city and deals with it 24 hours every day of the year. Here are some examples.

I ride PATCO to 8th and Market (that's the NJ train that runs to Philly) and then, once in Philly I transfer to the SEPTA Market Frankford El. The difference between the way people behave on PATCO compared to SEPTA is like night and day. On PATCO, if you approach a seat where someone is sitting and say "excuse me", they will move over toward the window to let you sit down on the side of the seat by the aisle. On SEPTA, first they might give you a dirty look and then, they will stand up and move out into the aisle so that you have to take the inside seat (which I assume is less desirable to them). Or, they won't get up at all...they will grunt and then just barely move their legs over so you can climb over them. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Then, you have people laughing/cackling at 2000 decibels, people screaming at (and hitting) their kids, people eating fast food and stinking up the whole train, panhandlers walking through the train cars not only begging, but yelling at people who don't give them anything.

Other examples of Philly rudeness:

I can't tell you how many men walking down the street will spit lugies right on the sidewalk, right at people's feet. They don't care who sees them, they don't care if you're right in front of them. It's disgusting.

And then you have your general rudeness of service people like cashiers in stores who you are lucky if they look you in the eye or even acknowledge your existence, let alone say "thank you" after you make a purchase. It's like they are doing you a favor for ringing you up. I have started a new habit of saying "you're welcome" even when they don't say "thank you" and that always throws them for a loop. One time I did that and the cashier replied, in a very defensive tone, "I SAID 'thank you'!" to which I looked at her and said, "yes, and I said 'you're welcome'". You could almost hear the marbles jostling in her brain as she tried to figure this out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2008, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Montco PA
2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times
Reputation: 1478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
On SEPTA, first they might give you a dirty look and then, they will stand up and move out into the aisle so that you have to take the inside seat (which I assume is less desirable to them). Or, they won't get up at all...they will grunt and then just barely move their legs over so you can climb over them.
I rode SEPTA for several years and not once did I ever observe someone not getting up at all. This actually happened?

Sassygirl, I must admit, you're the first person from NJ trying to claim that people from Philadelphia are ruder. Usually, NJ people boast about how rude NJ is and how that makes NJ so great.

I've never fully understood how places like NYC and NJ are allowed to be rude, but when people in Philadelphia are rude, it's wrong (Sassy this comment isn't really directed at you).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top