U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:52 PM

58 posts, read 178,342 times

Advertisements

I live in the Philadelphia suburbs, and I hate the city of Philadelphia.

I cannot count how many negative experiences I had in the city. Once I was parking my car by a sidewalk in Old City. About 8 seconds after I opened my door, a yuppie gal riding her bike rammed into my car door. I was like WTF! Can't you see in front of you? I mean my door was open for about 8 seconds, and she still rammed into it!

After that, my door couldn't shut completely. There was a thin crevice above the door as a result of the ramming. On days when it heavily rained, water would leak through the crevice. I was so pissed because I was broke at the time and could not fix it for a while.

Once around 12th and Chestnut, another yuppie gal riding her bike swerved in front of me, causing me to take evasive action and honk my horn. She flipped me off and told me to go back to Washington (I had a Washington state license plate at the time).

Recently I bought a new Toyota Yaris. As I was driving southbound on Broad Street (north of Temple university), a driver ran a red light to make a left turn on Broad and didn't even bother to look in my direction. I had to make a split second decision and immediately swerved to my right to avoid colliding with him. I hit the driver to my right as a result. Both of us got out, but the driver who ran the red light didn't even get out of his car! He just took off. Fortunately a security guard saw his license plate number and gave it to us.

One time I was leisurely taking photos inside Rittenhouse Square. This gal walked by me and gave me a dirty look for no reason.

Another time I was walking in Chinatown. As I strolled past a pay-for-parking lot, the parking attendant repeatedly asked me for money. When I politely denied his requests, he said "Do you hear me motherf-cker?"

Dirty looks, people with disgusting attitudes, no sense of law abiding in Philly, you name it. I hate inner city Philadelphia and Center City.

However I love Chestnut Hill, Mt. Airy, and northwest Philadelphia. The suburbs (Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, Bucks), and including the Main Line, are great too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 10:41 PM

266 posts, read 1,121,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMiiorHateMii View Post
sorry I meant 2009...but that was just how heated I was, but I feel better now.

I knew someone who lives in Chestnut Hill. Before I met him, I never knew it had existed. I loved it there and I would love to live in that area, but North Philly is not where its at!!!!
You were in North Philly,da hood. What did you expect?
Temple University is the only oasis in North Philly.
Hood rats = negative experience. See if you lived in Center city you would of loved it.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:36 AM

932 posts, read 1,547,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soju View Post
You were in North Philly,da hood. What did you expect?
Temple University is the only oasis in North Philly.
Hood rats = negative experience. See if you lived in Center city you would of loved it.
I already stated that I am not from Philly...so how was I supposed to know what lurked behind 16 St? When I was a freshman, the only places we went were to CC, South Street and KOP! I didn't have to go wandering until I was forced to move off campus, something I didn't know until my spring semester.

And to live in CC while paying for school is out of the question...My rent is 500 plus utilities and its is a loft apt. Really nice except for the other tennants that have a beer/vomit party on the steps every weekend.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:52 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I rode SEPTA for several years and not once did I ever observe someone not getting up at all. This actually happened?

Sassygirl, I must admit, you're the first person from NJ trying to claim that people from Philadelphia are ruder. Usually, NJ people boast about how rude NJ is and how that makes NJ so great.

I've never fully understood how places like NYC and NJ are allowed to be rude, but when people in Philadelphia are rude, it's wrong (Sassy this comment isn't really directed at you).
I have to admit that when I rode the Broad Street Line or the El, it wasn't unusual for a fellow rider to reluctantly, if at all, slide their legs over to allow me to sit next to them in the window seat. When roles were reversed, I usually slid over to the window myself or stood up to allow them in if I knew I was getting off soon.

Old 07-09-2008, 08:41 AM

980 posts, read 2,477,643 times
Quote:
Sassygirl, I must admit, you're the first person from NJ trying to claim that people from Philadelphia are ruder. Usually, NJ people boast about how rude NJ is and how that makes NJ so great.
Well, I live in South Jersey, and people here generally are not rude (of course, there are always exceptions). I think the comments about rude people in NJ may be more about North Jersey people who are closer to NY where there is definitely a higher "rudeness factor" (at least from my experience). And no, the people I know do not take pride or boast about being rude.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:25 AM

37 posts, read 175,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
In all due respect take the blinders off. 98% of the people in the Philadlephia area could care less about being in close proximity to NYC. What a bunch of narcissistic,self involved, egomanical bullcrap.

Classic.NYers come down down to live in Philly and they proclaim the best part of Philaldephia is its proximity to NYC. No. The best part FOR YOU is its close proximity to NYC because you are homesick. Probably 2% of the native people in the Philadlephia area give NYC a second thought. Thats not to say NYC doesnt have some fantastic attributes.

There is alot more to NYC than trendy midtown and parts of Brooklyn.Tell the whole story.Dont harp on the bad aspects of Philadlephia and then turn around and give us Midtown and Park Slope.What about the Bronx, huge swaths of Queens/Broolyn? You let us know about Philadlephias crime, what about NYC's? You somehow conveniently left that part out of the equation.

This would be easier to digest if it werent coming from a NY'er. Have you checked NYC Comp Stat recently. You might want to hold off on highlighting other cities crime problems. You are having enough problems of your own in NYC in the first 6 months of 2008. Like 20,000 grand larcenies. 10,000 robberies.9200 burglaries.7700 assaults.700 rapes.250 murders. There are 45 people a day getting assaulted in NYC.

There is currently 5 Billion dollars worth of projects going on in Center City and University City.Condos,Class A office space,educational,cultural improvements.

Some call colleges and hospitals a lifeline, others call them a normal part of the fabric of what makes up a great city.Universities and colleges in Philaldephia act no differently then they do in most cities.

Fortune 500 companies in Center City Philadlephia
Sunoco
Comcast
Cigna
Aramark
Rohm & Haas
Lincoln Financial
Unisys
Crown Holdings
Soverign Bankcorp
Pep Boys

750 retail/restaurant establishments in Center City alone.2 of the best urban neighborhoods in the country Chestnut Hill + Center City. Fairmount Park is 11x bigger than Central Park.Northeast Philly has 250,000 middle class residents,NW Philly is one of the best parcels of any city in the country.

I agree that certain areas of immediate Center City(Market east in particular) leave alot to be desired and quite frankly its mind boggling they are allowed to remain in their condition. That being said University City is picking up its slack and Center City boundaries include some amazing neighborhoods beside Rittenhouse. Such as Soceity Hill,Fitler Square,Art Museum,Bella Vista,Queen Village,Spring Garden,Old City etc.
1. I'll tell the whole story (I wasn't talking about Midtown or Park Slope).
A) Proportionally speaking Philadelphia's crime rate in every category (robbery assault rape murder) is higher than NY's. You've got the numbers obviously, check 'em. B) You are safer walking around bedstuy/harlem/bushwick than you are walking around north philly, you're stats will confirm that I'm sure, but I don't even have to pull 'em up because I walked around them and I Know!! I remember reading in either citypaper or PW awhile back about a shooting in NP where there was an entire crowd around a shooting victim including the shooters and the shooting victim's family, but the victim's mom told everyone in the crowd not to snitch!! 'nuff said!!

2. Chestnut Hill is beautiful. As I touched upon before, (and even you did slightly as well), CC is nice in parts, but leaves much to be desired.

3. You're bragging about being the headquarters of Pep Boys, Aramark and sunoco? What do these companies bring to the city (other than minimum wage retail jobs)? Aramark is a disaster. Pep Boys is closing stores or merging. Read the papers. All philly needs is a litespeed commuter train to NY so it can reach its full potential as NY's bedroom community.

4. Fairmount park is large but underused. CP has much more foot traffic than Fairmount and is much better maintained (the CP Conservancy has deep pockets). If the entire park was used the way cp was I would say it was a better park but much of the park west of the river is barren

5. Ask the 250k residents of NE Philly which way their n'hood is headed and you'll get a consensus answer, if you don't know what I mean you aren't talking to people outside of Center city and chestnut hill

I don't understand why you get so mad that I say its a good thing that phila is close to NY. There are alotta people who are just attracted by being proximal to the biggest us city and all its glam (not me, thats why I left, but others are, so why not let that help your city?)

This post was about the negative aspects of Philly which is why I wrote about what I thought its problems were. I didn't say I hated the city, I don't know where you got that from my post. Is the fact that crime is an issue here a newsbreak for you? Did you notice that the mayor elect basically ran his campaign on the issue? Wake up. If you don't acknowledge the issues they'll never be solved.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:10 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldblooded36 View Post
A) Proportionally speaking Philadelphia's crime rate in every category (robbery assault rape murder) is higher than NY's. You've got the numbers obviously, check 'em. B) You are safer walking around bedstuy/harlem/bushwick
Per capita numbers are nice when talking about income, housing values etc. Not so much when talking about violent crime. Because NYC is 6x as populous as Philadelphia its total amount of violent crimes committed is going to dwarf Philadelphia even though on a per capita basis NYC is safer than Philly. At the end of the year NYC is still going to have 3x as many violent crimes committed than Philadelphia.Thats all that matters to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldblooded36
3. You're bragging about being the headquarters of Pep Boys, Aramark and sunoco? What do these companies bring to the city (other than minimum wage retail jobs)? Aramark is a disaster. Pep Boys is closing stores or merging. Read the papers. All philly needs is a litespeed commuter train to NY so it can reach its full potential as NY's bedroom community.[
I'm not bragging about anything or any company or corporation. In your original post you basically said the only thing Philly has going for it was its universities and proximity to NYC. All I did was present 10 Fortune 500 companies which isn't bad and certainly contradicts your stance that Philadlephia has nothing going on for it. There is 500M dollars worth of construction going on in University City,a billion in Center City, something is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldblooded36
I don't understand why you get so mad that I say its a good thing that phila is close to NY. There are alotta people who are just attracted by being proximal to the biggest us city and all its glam (not me, thats why I left, but others are, so why not let that help your city?)
I'm not mad.From my life experience of living in the Philly area when someone says the best thing about Philly is its proximity to NYC it usually comes from a NYer or someone not familiar with the Philadlephia region. The suburbanites who want a night out on the town dont yearn for NYC they will go to Center City you almost never here them talk or reference NYC.

Its a bit disingenuous for an outsider to proclaim the best part about Philaldephia is its easy accessibilty to NYC. Most people in this area think the best part about Philaldephia is Center City,Valley Forge,New Hope,Chestnut Hill,West Chester,Media,Brandywine Valley,Doylestown,Moorestown,Ocean City,Cape May. Proximity to NYC is way down on the list.

Last edited by rainrock; 07-13-2008 at 05:22 PM..

Old 06-28-2009, 07:21 PM

223 posts, read 771,469 times
Philly pisses people off!!! I lived in south jersey for 16 years and have been to philly alot. The people down their in philly are flip-floppers one second they say our city is a nice place, then our city is bad and has alot of crime, one second go phillies, sixers, etc., the next second **** the phillies, sixers, etc. They always try to compare philly to New York thats crazy philly is a suburb compared to New York not even close, but the people are nice to talk to people say high on the streets, it is the city of brotherly love. Not like New York were everybody acts like a ******* and tries to be a jerk.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:38 AM

3,042 posts, read 8,202,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldblooded36 View Post
A) Proportionally speaking Philadelphia's crime rate in every category (robbery assault rape murder) is higher than NY's. You've got the numbers obviously, check 'em. B) You are safer walking around bedstuy/harlem/bushwick than you are walking around north philly, you're stats will confirm that I'm sure, but I don't even have to pull 'em up because I walked around them and I Know!! I remember reading in either citypaper or PW awhile back about a shooting in NP where there was an entire crowd around a shooting victim including the shooters and the shooting victim's family, but the victim's mom told everyone in the crowd not to snitch!! 'nuff said!!

2. Chestnut Hill is beautiful. As I touched upon before, (and even you did slightly as well), CC is nice in parts, but leaves much to be desired.

3. You're bragging about being the headquarters of Pep Boys, Aramark and sunoco? What do these companies bring to the city (other than minimum wage retail jobs)? Aramark is a disaster. Pep Boys is closing stores or merging. Read the papers. All philly needs is a litespeed commuter train to NY so it can reach its full potential as NY's bedroom community.

4. Fairmount park is large but underused. CP has much more foot traffic than Fairmount and is much better maintained (the CP Conservancy has deep pockets). If the entire park was used the way cp was I would say it was a better park but much of the park west of the river is barren

5. Ask the 250k residents of NE Philly which way their n'hood is headed and you'll get a consensus answer, if you don't know what I mean you aren't talking to people outside of Center city and chestnut hill

This post was about the negative aspects of Philly which is why I wrote about what I thought its problems were. I didn't say I hated the city, I don't know where you got that from my post. Is the fact that crime is an issue here a newsbreak for you? Did you notice that the mayor elect basically ran his campaign on the issue? Wake up. If you don't acknowledge the issues they'll never be solved.
i agree, i love chestnut hill where i live, i did not like much of CC which i just moved from. I think the issue with Philly is it has lots of potential for a nice city but the people are hostile, angry, unfriendly and so it makes what is lovely about the city(history, education, archictecture, culture) seem not so interesting.

I dont knwo whats in the water here, why people esp in CC and North and South Philly cant smile when a stranger passes or says hi, maybe they are trying to be a big city like NYC so they think that means you have to have an angry attitude, or the liberal behavior of being angry and sarcastic is suppose to be what makes this Philly , i dont know the answer

Old 06-29-2009, 11:47 AM

149 posts, read 399,700 times
Default Responding to another "Philadelphians are so mean to me" post

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
i agree, i love chestnut hill where i live, i did not like much of CC which i just moved from. I think the issue with Philly is it has lots of potential for a nice city but the people are hostile, angry, unfriendly and so it makes what is lovely about the city(history, education, archictecture, culture) seem not so interesting.

I dont knwo whats in the water here, why people esp in CC and North and South Philly cant smile when a stranger passes or says hi, maybe they are trying to be a big city like NYC so they think that means you have to have an angry attitude, or the liberal behavior of being angry and sarcastic is suppose to be what makes this Philly , i dont know the answer
As a lifelong (almost) Philadelphian and someone who has lived outside the Northeast part of the country (Montana, Texas for 4 years) I have come to discover that when people exhibit dismay by the lack of smiles on the street (which is usually misconstrued as anger or hostility, but not what it really is; indifference) it usually says more about the dismayed than the passer-by. I feel that people who NEED this vapid friendliness at times when it is not necessary are looking for strangers to fill a void usually reserved for friends, family neighbors….people who are familiar. What’s missing….who knows? When I lived out west I was bombarded by sickly-sweet greetings wherever I went….restaurants, stores, etc. I kind of liked it…initially. Then when I discovered some traits that their boring friendliness was masking; passive-aggressiveness, xenophobia, racism, the frustrating inability to be direct…..I discovered how pointless the initial behavior was. And, I suppose my self-esteem is strong enough that I really don’t need a stranger’s acknowledgement to brighten my day. I usually reserve that task for myself, my friends, my family and neighbors.

Something else I discovered about Philadelphians and Northeasterners in general vs. those from more “friendly” areas. When you get past the indifference often you will find some of the most interesting, smart, funny, complicated people that this country can produce. Conversely, out west (and this is a generalization; certainly does not apply to all I met out there) when I would get past that friendly veneer I’d find the things I mentioned above. So what would you rather have, a delicious and surprising treat, or a chocolate covered turd?

Sorry for the passionate defense, but I hear this so often and it ALWAYS bothers me when it comes up.

Last edited by G Goo; 06-29-2009 at 12:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or