U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 04:42 PM

70 posts, read 15,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish1 View Post
Maybe its because other nightly entertainment has been cancelled such as sporting events, concerts, bars, clubs, movies, etc so people are just extra bored and the weather is nicer so they are outside. I agree it is annoying but it seems like there is a logical explanation why there are more.
Yes. The drug dealers have to spend their money on something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 10:46 AM

7,373 posts, read 8,440,190 times
Apparently this is a nationwide phenomenon: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e_iOSApp_Other

Here’s a local media take on it: https://6abc.com/society/fireworks-s...egion/6260773/. I wasn’t aware of the annoyance it’s been for some people.

It seems a lot of people are theorizing that it’s grown out of shutdown boredom.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:20 PM

10,674 posts, read 6,257,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Apparently this is a nationwide phenomenon: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...e_iOSApp_Other

Here’s a local media take on it: https://6abc.com/society/fireworks-s...egion/6260773/. I wasn’t aware of the annoyance it’s been for some people.

It seems a lot of people are theorizing that it’s grown out of shutdown boredom.
It's only happened a few times where I am. But, yes it's the boredom!

Old 06-23-2020, 07:55 PM

204 posts, read 48,386 times
I've heard it was due to Breonna Taylors' death. People doing the fireworks said they (fireworks) won't end until the Police are charged with murder. It's definitely a form of organized protest, I've heard them every night exactly at 9PM for nearly a month.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:05 PM

5,199 posts, read 1,923,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
It's only happened a few times where I am. But, yes it's the boredom!
That's a pathetic excuse for a grown person

Old 06-24-2020, 05:51 AM

10,674 posts, read 6,257,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
That's a pathetic excuse for a grown person
I'm not doing it. How do you know how old they are?

A poster did mention a possible explanation.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I've heard it was due to Breonna Taylors' death. People doing the fireworks said they (fireworks) won't end until the Police are charged with murder. It's definitely a form of organized protest, I've heard them every night exactly at 9PM for nearly a month.
I’ve been unable to find a valid reference for this claim. It sounds a bit like a conspiracy theory to me.

Ocam’s razor more or less asserts that the simplest explanation of a phenomenon is usually true. In this instance, people like to hear things go bang. This is likely even more true when they’ve been staying at home for 3+ months.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I’ve been unable to find a valid reference for this claim. It sounds a bit like a conspiracy theory to me.

Ocam’s razor more or less asserts that the simplest explanation of a phenomenon is usually true. In this instance, people like to hear things go bang. This is likely even more true when they’ve been staying at home for 3+ months.

https://twitter.com/search?q=firewor...rc=typed_query

This may not apply to every city or state, but a good portions of the fireworks are in response to Breonna Taylor.

https://twitter.com/SonofBaldwin/sta...41681563938821

Kinda confirms what I'm saying about the coordinated organized fireworks, it's happening each night exactly at a specific time. No conspiracy theory.

Old 06-24-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
https://twitter.com/search?q=firewor...rc=typed_query

This may not apply to every city or state, but a good portions of the fireworks are in response to Breonna Taylor.

https://twitter.com/SonofBaldwin/sta...41681563938821

Kinda confirms what I'm saying about the coordinated organized fireworks, it's happening each night exactly at a specific time. No conspiracy theory.
Thanks for the links (+1). The first Twitter thread does indeed include many tweets related to Breonna Taylor's killing. I didn't get that from the second thread, however, which seemed to offer random thoughts, none of them about Breonna Taylor. Perhaps I missed it.

This suggests to me that some of the fireworks may be a provocation designed to draw attention to the Breonna Taylor killing. It seems a grassroots movement for now, given my exposure to a single twitter thread. I haven't seen any news organizations confirming a strong connection at this time, however. If it is indeed a movement, I expect to hear more about from local and national news sources it in the next few days. Time will tell.

All that aside, I think it's a brilliant strategy if it gains traction. We need more conversation about that case.

Old 06-24-2020, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the links (+1). The first Twitter thread does indeed include many tweets related to Breonna Taylor's killing. I didn't get that from the second thread, however, which seemed to offer random thoughts, none of them about Breonna Taylor. Perhaps I missed it.

This suggests to me that some of the fireworks may be a provocation designed to draw attention to the Breonna Taylor killing. It seems a grassroots movement for now, given my exposure to a single twitter thread. I haven't seen any news organizations confirming a strong connection at this time, however. If it is indeed a movement, I expect to hear more about from local and national news sources it in the next few days. Time will tell.

All that aside, I think it's a brilliant strategy if it gains traction. We need more conversation about that case.
What I get from this is there's a multitude of reasons behind the fireworks. I don't support the media's narrative suggesting the perpetrators are juvenile teens . This is too routine and coordinated for this to be a spontaneous act by a bunch of teenagers or young adults looking for fun. There's certainly an intended purpose, but what, I do not know. Others are theorizing it's the work of the police to quell the nightly protest, others are suggesting it's in retaliation to Breonna Taylor. There's another theory saying it's the work of right-winged radicals causing public disturbance as a way to to maintain police presence; a counteractive measure to the defunding and abolishment of police forces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or