U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:42 PM

4,659 posts, read 6,402,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliF1 View Post
@rowhomecity - thank you for the detailed and thoughtful recommendations.

On my list is Chestnut Hill, Lower Merion, Radnor, Bryn Mawr, Admore, Villanova. My wife and I are driving from MA to PA tomorrow and will check out Center City, and the above areas in Southern Montgomery County.

While a excellent school district is a proxy for good retention of real estate value, my children have already graduated from university with one working and one in grad school. (both in greater DC, so we will be closer to children from PA than MA).

My wife and I enjoy going out to restaurants, bars, cafe's, nightlife even though we are in mid-50's. Being around younger people and young families is a great, and looking for social opportunity for our age (tennis club, etc).

Thank You!
I've lived or gone to school in many of those areas. I prefer the Main Line for its proximity to Rt. 476, Rt. 3 and the train to get into the city. Chestnut Hill is great for the train but if you're planning on driving into center city, there's not a particularly easy/safe/direct route. Good luck and we'll expect a full report when you come back!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:50 AM

4,134 posts, read 3,605,069 times
I would stay away from Philadelphia city. The city has a 4% flat tax on wages and the Philadelphia School District also taxes unearned income (interest dividends, cap gains, etc) at 4%. Every city, school district and township in PA taxes wages (usually at about 1%) but only Philadelphia is allowed to tax unearned income. These taxes are in addition to PAs flat rate state income tax of 3.07%.

Old Today, 11:44 AM

1,307 posts, read 1,711,677 times
Chestnut Hill is a great neighborhood and the extra city related taxes is not a big enough deterrent to make it not a good option for you. If you really value restaurants, bars, cafe's, nightlife, then Chestnut Hill is one of the best options for you.

Old Today, 11:54 AM

114 posts, read 29,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Chestnut Hill is a great neighborhood and the extra city related taxes is not a big enough deterrent to make it not a good option for you. If you really value restaurants, bars, cafe's, nightlife, then Chestnut Hill is one of the best options for you.
The particular problem with Chestnut Hill is the housing stock is skewed towards the very large and very expensive (8-10k sqft, $2M+ on huge lots) or the very small with no land (the old working rowhouses just off Germantown Avenue, which seem to average around 1100 sqft with off street parking). There's preciously little between the two and when it does come on the market it's immediately snapped up.

For someone with a 800-1.1M budget wanting a house of a certain size with a certain amount of land, there are far more options on the Main Line. Half the Main Line seems to fit this very specific sweet spot.

Old Today, 06:34 PM

4,659 posts, read 6,402,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
The particular problem with Chestnut Hill is the housing stock is skewed towards the very large and very expensive (8-10k sqft, $2M+ on huge lots) or the very small with no land (the old working rowhouses just off Germantown Avenue, which seem to average around 1100 sqft with off street parking). There's preciously little between the two and when it does come on the market it's immediately snapped up.

For someone with a 800-1.1M budget wanting a house of a certain size with a certain amount of land, there are far more options on the Main Line. Half the Main Line seems to fit this very specific sweet spot.
Correct. I don't even see any homes for sale in Chestnut Hill in that price range on one site, and only a few on another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or