U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 04-28-2008, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
690 posts, read 2,769,449 times
Reputation: 201

Advertisements

Given all the recent posts asking about traffic in the area, I've decided to list all of the main roads that face heavy congestion on a daily basis.

Pennsylvania Roads
I-76 (Schuykill Expressway) - usually jammed both directions in both the AM and PM commutes from Center City all the way out to King of Prussia

I-95 - southbound traffic in AM - northbound in PM - usually from Center City to Academy Road

I-476 (Blue Route) - nb traffic in AM - sb in PM - usually from Rt 30 to Rt 1
I-476 (north of Schuykill) - sb in AM - from 276 to 76 - not sure about PM

I-276 (PA Turnpike) - wb traffic in AM - eb in PM - usually from Willow Grove to I-476 or 76.

US-422 - eb traffic in AM - wb in PM - usually from Oaks/Egypt Rd to 76.

US-202 - nb/eb traffic in AM - sb/wb traffic in PM - especially heavy around Route 30 interchange and Rt 29.


New Jersey Roads
Route 42 - nb traffic in AM - sb in PM - usually from Blackwood area to Route 130/676 exits.

Route 55 - nb traffic AM only - from Deptford to 42

I-295 - nb traffic in AM - sb in PM - usually from 42 to Route 70 (PM is much worse)

Route 70 - wb traffic in AM - eb in PM - usually from Haddonfield Rd to 295 and again at Route 73 intersection.

Route 73 - heavy congestion in area of NJ Turnpike and I-295 and again at intersection w/ Route 70.


Hope this helps all with traffic questions.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2008, 10:48 AM
 
34 posts, read 256,333 times
Reputation: 19
Default Travel Times

Hey.... Thanks!! This is really relevant info for us moving to the area. Finding a great place to live.. but not being able to get to work doesn't really help!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzBoy View Post
Given all the recent posts asking about traffic in the area, I've decided to list all of the main roads that face heavy congestion on a daily basis.

Pennsylvania Roads
I-76 (Schuykill Expressway) - usually jammed both directions in both the AM and PM commutes from Center City all the way out to King of Prussia

I-95 - southbound traffic in AM - northbound in PM - usually from Center City to Academy Road

I-476 (Blue Route) - nb traffic in AM - sb in PM - usually from Rt 30 to Rt 1
I-476 (north of Schuykill) - sb in AM - from 276 to 76 - not sure about PM

I-276 (PA Turnpike) - wb traffic in AM - eb in PM - usually from Willow Grove to I-476 or 76.

US-422 - eb traffic in AM - wb in PM - usually from Oaks/Egypt Rd to 76.

US-202 - nb/eb traffic in AM - sb/wb traffic in PM - especially heavy around Route 30 interchange and Rt 29.


New Jersey Roads
Route 42 - nb traffic in AM - sb in PM - usually from Blackwood area to Route 130/676 exits.

Route 55 - nb traffic AM only - from Deptford to 42

I-295 - nb traffic in AM - sb in PM - usually from 42 to Route 70 (PM is much worse)

Route 70 - wb traffic in AM - eb in PM - usually from Haddonfield Rd to 295 and again at Route 73 intersection.

Route 73 - heavy congestion in area of NJ Turnpike and I-295 and again at intersection w/ Route 70.


Hope this helps all with traffic questions.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2008, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,745 posts, read 7,845,060 times
Reputation: 4700
Great idea, JerzBoy. Is there any way for the moderator to add posts like this as a "sticky?"
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2008, 08:07 AM
 
34 posts, read 256,333 times
Reputation: 19
Is there any way to put in non-rush hour drive times, and of course those wonderful rush hour times. I have driven around Philly on weekends and non-rush hour, but last week was shocked to see 476? ( Schuykill?) into the city backed up at noon all the way out past Conshy...it was scary. I know people have warned about 95 sb from the Northeast being a parking lot. Any other hot spots? Is it bad from Media and the south/southwest into the city?
thanks

Last edited by vizanje; 04-30-2008 at 08:43 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2008, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
690 posts, read 2,769,449 times
Reputation: 201
I don't think Media into Philly would be a bad commute. I would just take 476 south to 95 north. However, i'm not as familiar with that area during rush hour so maybe someone else can chime in. I've driven to the airport from the north a number of times and 95nb seemed to be free flowing during the am rush so i assume its ok.

As far as the Schuykill Expressway (76) goes, that can be backed up at any time of the day (and usually is). I've been in traffic jams at 2AM on that road. A 2-lane freeway just cannot handle the massive amounts of volume and the very poorly designed exits and entrances. Most of the other area highways are fine during non-peak times unless there's an accident or construction.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2008, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
282 posts, read 778,724 times
Reputation: 115
So - the "cliff notes" version is - don't go anywhere between 7 and 9am, and between 4:30 and 6pm?

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2008, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Philaburbia
33,072 posts, read 61,890,891 times
Reputation: 55492
Quote:
Originally Posted by vizanje View Post
Is there any way to put in non-rush hour drive times, and of course those wonderful rush hour times. I have driven around Philly on weekends and non-rush hour, but last week was shocked to see 476? ( Schuykill?) into the city backed up at noon all the way out past Conshy...it was scary.
Traffic around here is a never-ending crap shoot. One accident or broken down car or ill-timed construction crew or baseball game can screw things up for hours, and on multiple highways (such as they are).

On the other hand, there have been occasions -- miraculous though they do seem -- when I've made it from Center City to Norristown in 25 minutes. You just never know.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2008, 08:00 PM
 
34 posts, read 256,333 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighBoundGeek View Post
So - the "cliff notes" version is - don't go anywhere between 7 and 9am, and between 4:30 and 6pm?

My wife has been investigating various areas to commute from in and around the city, at around 7am, and she says the roads are actually relatively free from traffic...now 7:30am seems another story. It seems the early bird can beat the traffic....of course an accident ends all the optimism..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2008, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Boston Metrowest (via the Philly area)
4,745 posts, read 7,845,060 times
Reputation: 4700
Quote:
Originally Posted by vizanje View Post
My wife has been investigating various areas to commute from in and around the city, at around 7am, and she says the roads are actually relatively free from traffic...now 7:30am seems another story. It seems the early bird can beat the traffic....of course an accident ends all the optimism..
Indeed. With accidents, all bets are off. If there's one thing that people unanimously complain about in the Philly area, it's that the infrastructure is lacking in terms of car capacity. If only we could FINALLY get state funding for regional rail expansion -- a project that has been delayed for more than a decade -- traffic wouldn't be nearly as bad.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2008, 04:12 PM
 
2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
Reputation: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighBoundGeek View Post
So - the "cliff notes" version is - don't go anywhere between 7 and 9am, and between 4:30 and 6pm?

Or live in center city like I do and walk to work.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top