U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2020, 09:51 PM

3 posts, read 573 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My roommate and I are looking to get a two bedroom apartment for a decent price in Philadelphia.
We are looking to be within a 40 minute transit ride to the City Hall area.
Our problem is, we can find decently priced places, but only in areas like North Central, Strawberry Mansion, Haddinton-Carrol Park, and Mantua, which from some Google searches seem like really bad areas.

Can anyone recommend areas that are safe vs not safe? Areas that we should 100% avoid especially.
There are a lot of good housing units near the Yorktown/North Central area because of Temple being so close, but I have not heard good things.

Any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 05:01 AM

7,145 posts, read 3,417,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngandworried View Post
Hello!

My roommate and I are looking to get a two bedroom apartment for a decent price in Philadelphia.
Our problem is, we can find decently priced places, but only in areas like North Central, Strawberry Mansion, Haddinton-Carrol Park, and Mantua, which from some Google searches seem like really bad areas.

Can anyone recommend areas that are safe vs not safe? Areas that we should 100% avoid especially.
There are a lot of good housing units near the Yorktown/North Central area because of Temple being so close, but I have not heard good things.

Yorktown is a Black-middle-class island in the middle of North Central Philadelphia. If you can find a place to rent within it, I think you'd be okay; crime isn't the problem there that it is in much of the rest of North Central.

Your 40-minutes-to-City-Hall radius takes in much of Germantown as well; add Mt. Airy if you're willing to rely on Regional Rail. I think you'd find either one of these at least acceptable.

I will, however, advise you that I take the view that too many of us let fear govern our lives too much. I suspect that, even though you can find some decent and even fabulous houses near where I live, you would find my part of East Germantown too rough for your liking, for instance. But if you're female, I understand.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:39 AM

213 posts, read 52,392 times
For your price range I'd suggest:
Spring Garden
NoLibs
Fishtown

Don't listen to anyone suggesting Apartments near Yorktown or Cecil B More. The city pretends it's a well to do area for Temple students.

Areas to avoid
Fairhill
Frankford
Hunting Park

If you're willing to go further North I'd suggest:
Foxchase
East Oak Lane
Germantown

Old 07-03-2020, 07:50 AM

7,145 posts, read 3,417,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Don't listen to anyone suggesting Apartments near Yorktown or Cecil B More. The city pretends it's a well to do area for Temple students.
FWIW, Temple students don't live in Yorktown. As I said, it's a Black-middle-class neighborhood. Its most famous resident at present is former Mayor John Street.

In socioeconomic terms, it's comparable to the Northeast Philadelphia neighborhoods that it resembles physically. Neither poor nor well-to-do, but a "middle neighborhood."

As for Cecil B. Moore, it's largely private developers who are building the cheap* houses on Cecil B. Moore west of Broad that are slowly transforming that part of North Central into a student ghetto. You can't build a stable neighborhood on the backs of college students.

*I'm referring to quality of construction, not rents. The rents charged are what you might imagine you'd get if you rented to college kids by the bedroom.

Old 07-03-2020, 08:48 AM

8,115 posts, read 18,657,526 times
What would you consider a decent price for your two-bedroom budget?

Old 07-03-2020, 11:25 AM

2,139 posts, read 3,414,955 times
Overbrook? Wynnefield?

Old 07-03-2020, 02:24 PM

127 posts, read 34,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
What would you consider a decent price for your two-bedroom budget?
OP mentioned only being able to find "decently priced" rentals in North Central, Strawberry Mansion, Haddinton-Carrol Park, and Mantua, which indicates they have a pretty low budget. I'm guessing $1k for a two bedroom or below.

My guess their best bet is to find a simple apartment above a shop in one of those older commercial buildings in places like Abingdon or Jenkinton. Need to browse craigslist for these suburban commercial centers with SEPTA stations. Maybe Conshohockhen too. And I bet they can find something in Manayunk.

Last edited by DXBtoFL; 07-03-2020 at 02:34 PM..

Old 07-03-2020, 02:33 PM

10,689 posts, read 6,274,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngandworried View Post
Hello!

You should explain what "decent price" is to you.

Someone mentioned Spring Garden which is where I live but it may be too expensive for you. Francisville is the neighborhood to its immediate north. But recent gentrification may push it out of your price range too.

Old 07-03-2020, 02:41 PM

10,689 posts, read 6,274,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
For your price range I'd suggest:
Spring Garden
NoLibs
Fishtown

Yorktown isn't a "well to do" area" in the sense you mean. But it is pretty much the way MarketEl/Sandy described it and has been that way ever since it was developed about 50 years ago.

Old 07-05-2020, 08:03 AM

8,115 posts, read 18,657,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXBtoFL View Post
OP mentioned only being able to find "decently priced" rentals in North Central, Strawberry Mansion, Haddinton-Carrol Park, and Mantua, which indicates they have a pretty low budget. I'm guessing $1k for a two bedroom or below.

My guess their best bet is to find a simple apartment above a shop in one of those older commercial buildings in places like Abingdon or Jenkinton. Need to browse craigslist for these suburban commercial centers with SEPTA stations. Maybe Conshohockhen too. And I bet they can find something in Manayunk.
Sounds like they want to live in the city so that would eliminate Abington, Jenkintown and Conshy even if they are within a 40-minute commute via Regional Rail. I would be surprised if any 2BRs were available in Conshy for under $1000 but I suppose Craig's List would be a place where one might find them. That said, I'm about to contradict myself and suggest Upper Darby, just across the city's western border and a straight shot to Center City via the EL and perhaps a light rail trolley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or