Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2008, 10:09 AM

983 posts, read 2,772,988 times

Advertisements

Hubby and me really like West Chester and it's one of the top contenders for relocation area.

One concern I have, and I wonder if anyone here can address this, is susceptibility to sprawl. I love the rolling countryside that surrounds West Chester and it's one of the big things that appeals to me about West Chester. I am wondering how vulnerable this beautiful countryside is to sprawl. How long before it will all be taken over by McMansion developments?

I grew up in Washington Twp, NJ (Gloucester County). My family moved there in the early 70s and it was mostly farm land. Now, the entire township is developments and strip centers and all the country charm is long gone.

For those of you who know what's happening in West Chester, do you think the same thing will happen there and if so, how long do you think it will take? (I have noticed there is a lot of new development in the WC area already).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 01:28 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,465 times
There are already McMansion developments outside of West Chester. Housing sprawl is not something I had contemplated but given the area's popularity, affordability and national predictions on the future housing needs of the country, coupled with the declining inner ring suburbs, I could definitely see your concern.

But fuel prices, the economy, housing bust all point to smaller houses being the new hot thing and people moving closer to the city, not further away. I would definitely bet the area will continue to be developed a la Downingtown, Caln Twp, Thorndale, Coatesville and so would take that into consideration if you don't want to live in proximity to all new developments and the heavy traffic they will bring in areas with older roads and no convenient access to modern, less traveled highways.

My rule of thumb is go as country or expensive or as developed in a good way or with poor schools as you can and the area will remain relatively unchanged for quite a long time. So I would probably pick Chadds Ford or Malvern or Paoli/Berwyn/Devon/Wayne or Media or Swarthmore/Wallingford or Drexel Hill/Pilgrim Gardens/Havertown or Oxford/West Grove or Caln/Thorndale/East Fallowfield/Parkesburg over West Chester for many of those reasons.

Last edited by orrmobl; 08-25-2008 at 01:40 PM..

Old 08-25-2008, 01:34 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
For those of you who know what's happening in West Chester, do you think the same thing will happen there and if so, how long do you think it will take? (I have noticed there is a lot of new development in the WC area already).
Well, its already happened. Maybe not to the extent of what you experienced in NJ, but there is urban sprawl. You may want to look in the more western or northern parts of Chester County for less sprawl, although its creeping up RT 100 due to the PA Turnpike interchange and builders like Toll and Pulte.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:16 AM

3 posts, read 18,740 times
Hi there,

I am considering moving to this area - relocating from the UK. Is it an expat area? If not, is Devon? I am struggling to work out where will be best for my "foreign" kids!!

Thanks!

Old 09-04-2008, 08:26 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I know some areas have more Asian's then others but "expat areas"? I don't think you are going to find that in the suburbs. Are you concerned that your children won't feel welcome? Most people love hearing others speak with an English/Scottish/Irish accent. My son is leaving for a study abroad in England in about 10 days and I've requested that he come back with an English accent if possible!

Old 09-04-2008, 11:32 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
Hubby and me really like West Chester and it's one of the top contenders for relocation area.

One concern I have, and I wonder if anyone here can address this, is susceptibility to sprawl. I love the rolling countryside that surrounds West Chester and it's one of the big things that appeals to me about West Chester. I am wondering how vulnerable this beautiful countryside is to sprawl. How long before it will all be taken over by McMansion developments?

I grew up in Washington Twp, NJ (Gloucester County). My family moved there in the early 70s and it was mostly farm land. Now, the entire township is developments and strip centers and all the country charm is long gone.

I agree that West Chester is very different than Gloucester County. However, plenty of charm in Mullica Hill which has become expensive. Wash Twp wasn't developed correctly but the surrounding towns are desirable. WC to me is too isolated, nice to have the rolling hills but you really can't get anywhere from there. If that's not important to you, then go for it.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:53 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
But fuel prices, the economy, housing bust all point to smaller houses being the new hot thing and people moving closer to the city, not further away. I would definitely bet the area will continue to be developed a la Downingtown, Caln Twp, Thorndale, Coatesville and so would take that into consideration if you don't want to live in proximity to all new developments and the heavy traffic they will bring in areas with older roads and no convenient access to modern, less traveled highways.
I used to work in city planning. Then I went into real estate/development.

That pretty much sums it up.

These out of the way subdivisions in the exurbs that are far from highways and rail lines are going to stagnate in price and be a lot of trouble down the road. Most of the first time buyers market has no interest in living out there. They want to be where the action is. The empty-nesters want the same thing. You only have about 25% of households who care at all about the quality of the school district.

I think a few towns in the inner-ring 'burbs will continue to have problems but as prices continue to rise in the city we're going to see that change - it's already started. Just look at what's happened in Camden County. 8 years ago everyone had written off Collingswood and Oaklyn as lost to Camden. Now even Woodlynne is staging a comeback. The other towns like Audubon, Haddon Heights and Westmont are all much better place than they were even 5 years ago.

The future of new construction in the suburbs is going to look a lot like this -
The Lumberyard Condominiums - Collingswood NJ (http://www.lumberyardcondos.com/index_content.html - broken link) - about 50% built

http://www.mypinwheel.com/accounts/p...ks/index2.html (broken link) - construction just started

Old 09-04-2008, 12:01 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
I used to work in city planning. Then I went into real estate/development.

That pretty much sums it up.

These out of the way subdivisions in the exurbs that are far from highways and rail lines are going to stagnate in price and be a lot of trouble down the road. Most of the first time buyers market has no interest in living out there. They want to be where the action is. The empty-nesters want the same thing. You only have about 25% of households who care at all about the quality of the school district.

I think a few towns in the inner-ring 'burbs will continue to have problems but as prices continue to rise in the city we're going to see that change - it's already started. Just look at what's happened in Camden County. 8 years ago everyone had written off Collingswood and Oaklyn as lost to Camden. Now even Woodlynne is staging a comeback. The other towns like Audubon, Haddon Heights and Westmont are all much better place than they were even 5 years ago.

The future of new construction in the suburbs is going to look a lot like this -
The Lumberyard Condominiums - Collingswood NJ (http://www.lumberyardcondos.com/index_content.html - broken link) - about 50% built

http://www.mypinwheel.com/accounts/p...ks/index2.html (broken link) - construction just started
Excellent post, you are right on the mark. When I was growing up in Camden County it was far worse than it is today, especially Collingswood. The future is bright for these towns and probably a good long term investment. I disagree only 25% care about schools, I think it's a huge selling point for SJ, in particular, especially with the movement out of Philly in search of more desirable areas, better schools.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 09-04-2008 at 12:12 PM..

Old 09-04-2008, 02:04 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,465 times
It really depends on how much money you have...Devon is a pretty wealthy area...the public schools are very good but a tad entitled. If you can afford the area, I would go private. I worked with an expat executive and her son was attending the Baldwin School and seemed to be getting along fine. I had never even heard of the school at the time and I'm a lifelong resident of the area, but from the other side of the tracks...

Pretty much any burb would be good for expats - as noted, kids, girls especially, just love foreign accents...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia