Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2010, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 8,471 times

Advertisements

The landlord is supposed to pay for heating but has kept it off for a month. It gets damn cold!! (<--those are frozen tears!) They keep saying there is a problem and they are working on it but they don't offer any help or remediation.

I know they're in violation of the "warranty of habitability" and I'm entitled to a rent reduction but I have no idea how much? the whole rent during this time or just a portion of it? How big or little of a portion?

Any ideas, or any suggestions for where I could go to find out?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 05:20 AM

192 posts, read 436,262 times
I'd be interested in the responses to this - I had the exact same problem with a particular landlord in Philly - what part of the city are you in? I wonder if it is the same leasing company.

I don't know the ultimate answer to your questions, but I do know that the first step is going to be documentation - start sending letters to your landlord (and keep copies for yourself), so you have a paper trail of what's happening. You'll need this documentation for any kind of legal disputes down the line, and sometimes this act alone is enough to get things moving.

Old 12-24-2010, 05:41 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,943,387 times
I am a landlord, and I think not providing heat for tenants is an evil and contemptible thing. I always provide heat, but then again I live in the same building as my tenants.

In the meantime, do you have a portable room heater? Pleae don't turn on your oven = that can be a real fire hazard/

Old 12-25-2010, 09:24 AM

46 posts, read 284,189 times
If it were me I wouldn't pay any rent until they fixed the heat, like is said just document that you are not paying until the heat is fixed, that is not only evil but its unethical. The judge will see it your way if it ever comes to that, which I doubt it will, the landlord will have no shot at winning if they are not providing heat in this weather.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:43 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
The heat in my apt is INCONSISTENT because I don't pay either.

It's either on LOW or on really HIGH at night that forces me to open the window to give my room of balance of cold and hot air

But I haven't experience no heat at all

Old 12-28-2010, 09:49 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
Have you documented your requests for heat? That's the first step. If you have no paper trail so far, send a certified letter to your landlord stating the situation. Then contact L&I. I had to do this at times when I was living in Philadelphia, and I found L&I surprisingly responsive. (I did work for the city and made sure to give them my work number, so they could guess that I worked for the city. Whether that made any difference or not, I don't know.)

However, I've always been leery about withholding some of my rent, or that sort of thing. That can get complicated. I would look for legal advice on that from a tenants rights group. If you don't do it correctly, I think you could be stuck owing money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia