U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 07:02 AM

85 posts, read 369,745 times

Advertisements

We currently live in NY and are looking to move. It has been said that we should look at the Philadelphia area, like Bucks county or Delaware county. We are looking for a suburbia area where we can raise our family. We have a son who is 3. We also want an area with good schools and want to be close to a city like Philly for work. I am in sales, so finding a job may not be too hard. To sum it up:
family neighborhood with good schools, low crime, close to work......gee I guess I want it all. We have about 225K to spend on a home or condo, but definitely want a 3 bedroom. Any advice on towns would be great.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 09:24 AM

35 posts, read 62,880 times
As far as Delaware County $200 K isn't going to get you a whole lot. Youre looking at 50 year old cape cods in older middle class towns. If you looked in Chester County you get much more house in much newer communities. The trade off is that you may be an hour outside of Philadelphia whereas in Delaware County you'll be 1/2 out of the city.

The upside with Chester County is that is where most of the growth is happening, along with Montgomery and Bucks Counties. Imo your housing values are strongest in those 3 counties. 3/4 of the population and 3/4 of the jobs in the Philadelphia area are in the suburbs.

weichert.com would be a good start to see what your money can buy you in this area. Just click PA- then Chester-MOntgomery-Bucks-or Delaware Counties. 3 bedrooms 225 K and that will be a start.

I've lived in Delaware County and I would recommend Media,Havertown,Springfield,Ridley,Boothwyn but once again your money will go further out in western Chester County towards Downingtown

Good luck

Old 12-27-2006, 08:40 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Delaware County:
Media
Havertown
Wallingford
Springfield
Aston

Chester County
West Chester
Downingtown
Phoenixville

Bucks County
Langhorne
Morrisville
Quakertown
Warminster

Montgomery County
Jenkintown
Ambler
Horsham
Willow Grove
Glenside
Plymouth Meeting
King of Prussia
east + west norriton
landsdale

Old 12-28-2006, 04:28 PM

4 posts, read 92,407 times
LOOK IN THE FAR NORTHEAST!!!!! Its where I grew up.I turned out pretty good. My mom raised us in an area right by the river called Torresdale,a very tight neighborhood with alot of good schools and a ton of kids. Nice yards and nice homes starting around 200k. Another area thta would be a great idea is Mayfair its a neighborhood just south of Torresdale.Trust me any of these neighborhoods would be good safe and affordable. Look in Torresdale,Mayfair,Bridesberg,Holmesberg,Morrell,o r,Brookhaven. All northeast neighborhoods all good.

Old 12-28-2006, 09:15 PM

5 posts, read 28,249 times
Well, I don't know what the prices are but Downingtown is very nice. The school district is excellent and its a nice suburb. There are new houses, old houses, townhouses, condos, apartments...anything you want. Downingtown/Thorndale are the last stops on Amtrack and the train takes you right into Phillie. Malvern is about a 40 minute drive and there are lots of corporate offices there. I'm in college and my family has lived here for going on six years. Its a beautiful place to live with a lot of options. The school district is huge so you would have a wide range of area to pick from. Just stay away from the Coastesville School District.

Old 12-30-2006, 12:52 AM

16 posts, read 49,135 times
You certainly don't want to get anything in Bensalem. With casnio just recently opening I'm willing to bet that area will start to decline within the next few years. As for NE Philly....forget about it. It's shot! Sadly, the NE has really declined the past few years. I'm actually looking to get out of it. I've lived there my entire life too. As far as nice I'd say look into Churchville, Fort Washington or maybe Willow Grove. The houses maybe a bit more expensive, but as the old saying goes you get what you pay for.

Old 03-03-2007, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,954 times
We love it here in Hatboro. Two kids, great schools, great neighborhoods. Houses are a little bit higher though, $250K may be about average

Old 03-04-2007, 08:36 AM

44 posts, read 267,786 times
Default What's the matter with Coatesville schools?

Our 4 daughters graduated from Coatesville (note correct spelling) schools and never had a bit of trouble. All are doing quite well in their careers and are very bright young women. I can sick and tired of the bad rap this area has gotten for years.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:00 AM

10 posts, read 44,742 times
Default Main Line

Depends on your price range but Bala Cynwyd is super close to the city, great for families, beautiful homes and great schools. For a little cheaper try Wynwood, Havertown.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:47 AM

634 posts, read 2,875,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juxzta1 View Post
LOOK IN THE FAR NORTHEAST!!!!! Its where I grew up.I turned out pretty good. My mom raised us in an area right by the river called Torresdale,a very tight neighborhood with alot of good schools and a ton of kids. Nice yards and nice homes starting around 200k. Another area thta would be a great idea is Mayfair its a neighborhood just south of Torresdale.Trust me any of these neighborhoods would be good safe and affordable. Look in Torresdale,Mayfair,Bridesberg,Holmesberg,Morrell,o r,Brookhaven. All northeast neighborhoods all good.
No offence to this poster, but do not move to the city. You'll be better off in the suburbs at any cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or