U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 04:56 PM

3,187 posts, read 2,168,289 times

Advertisements

Forbes ranked cities for sports based on attendance at games, TV following and support on social media. Was based on their NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL teams. Phila ranked second behind Boston.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christi.../#b766968daef8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2020, 05:59 AM

412 posts, read 197,139 times
I'll accept that. What I don't accept is the Bay Area being ranked #3. That slot should have gone to Chicago (and there's a large drop-off after Boston-Philly-Chicago).

I wish they considered college sports more, which is something that Boston and Philly are both lacking in. Chicago is the Big Ten's epicenter and the Bay Area has Stanford and Berkeley. It would have also helped prop-up Miami, Minneapolis, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Detroit and Seattle.

Old 07-18-2020, 07:44 AM

816 posts, read 514,825 times
Not sure how NY was so ranked so low. Devils and Islanders fans are rabid. Giants and Jets, Jet, Jets fans are equally insane. Brooklyn Nets have a very strong following, and I realize that the Yanks have a lot of corporate fans, but there are still a lot of home-ground Yankee fanatics. Same for Mets. Really the only team that is ignored (for now) are the Knickerbockers.

Old 07-18-2020, 10:50 AM

3,187 posts, read 2,168,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
I'll accept that. What I don't accept is the Bay Area being ranked #3. That slot should have gone to Chicago (and there's a large drop-off after Boston-Philly-Chicago).

I wish they considered college sports more, which is something that Boston and Philly are both lacking in. Chicago is the Big Ten's epicenter and the Bay Area has Stanford and Berkeley. It would have also helped prop-up Miami, Minneapolis, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Detroit and Seattle.
San Fran Cisco has a very passionate and knowledgeable fan base. Gabe Kapler will have a tougher time if not winning there then he had here in Philly. I am very surprised NYC not higher.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:32 PM

5,115 posts, read 3,174,703 times
No way Boston should be higher. The Patriots were not very well supporter before they went on their run.

Old 07-18-2020, 02:51 PM

6,041 posts, read 2,418,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
No way Boston should be higher. The Patriots were not very well supporter before they went on their run.

The New England Patriots sellout streak is now 26 years and counting.

Old 07-18-2020, 09:29 PM

268 posts, read 153,942 times
Quote:
I wish they considered college sports more, which is something that Boston and Philly are both lacking in.
That's true to a point, but be careful about underselling us. We may not have college football, but college basketball has a very rich history in this town, especially around the Philadelphia Big 5. We have a legacy there that no one else really has. Villanova winning national titles in 2016 and 2018 has also helped in that regard.

Old 07-19-2020, 07:52 AM

1,035 posts, read 409,525 times
Quote:

I completely agree about Chicago. To me, it's always been Boston clearly at #1, and Philly/Chicago close for #2. It's cool to see Philadelphia win out in this ranking, but Chicago should definitely come in at #3. I was going to speculate Philadelphia came out on top because of the Flyers, as I really only know about the four major East Coast hockey teams (Bruins, Rangers, Flyers and Capitals), but I guess the Blackhawks are actually a pretty big deal too. I guess it is our ravenous fans that put us over the edge.

True re: college sports, but the two seem like totally separate worlds and fandoms to me. I’m glad we got some love, and they should definitely do a college sports edition too. Obviously, Pennsylvania’s biggest action is up in State College.

Old 07-19-2020, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
The New England Patriots sellout streak is now 26 years and counting.
The NFL sellouts out most games.

Also why is the Patriots not at 100% attendance for home games last year?

2019 NFL Football Attendance - National Football League - ESPN

Old 07-19-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireshaker View Post
That's true to a point, but be careful about underselling us. We may not have college football, but college basketball has a very rich history in this town, especially around the Philadelphia Big 5. We have a legacy there that no one else really has. Villanova winning national titles in 2016 and 2018 has also helped in that regard.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous to say Philadelphia doesn't have college sports when it has tons. The Army-Navy game itself is a very special event. We are near the top for college basketball support and I would imagine if you added up all the college football teams attendances on saturdays, there are quite a few people going to games in the area. It's a lot easier to get a huge crowd for something when it is the only show in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or