U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-29-2020, 08:09 AM
 
62 posts, read 113,193 times
Reputation: 135

Advertisements

When are you moving?
I'm hoping for the next 1 -2 months, so by September or October.

Where are you coming from?
Washington, DC

Why are you moving?
I want to still live in a diverse, walkable city, while being closer to my parents (they live in NYC).
I also want lower cost of living so I can finally live by myself without diving into poverty, a more relaxed lifestyle, and a better food scene lol.

Where will you be working?
I'm currently working remote with a consulting firm, so as long as I have internet and electric, I should be fine. I'm looking for a new job as well, but am thinking about staying with my firm through the move and the settle down process, and then finding something after that.

Have you been here yet?
No lmao! It would be a blind move, I haven't been in Philly since I was touring colleges lol.
I narrowed my choices to Chicago and Philly and visited Chicago several times over the past two years. I really loved it, but I don't like the distance from my family, at least not now. The plan was to audition Philly this spring, but with COVID in play, I think I'm just gonna go for it.

Will you buy or rent?
Rent for the first few years, and if I like it enough, I'll buy.

If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
An apartment or loft would be good, and if I can get under $1000 a month, that would be great.
Upper limit would be $1200 a month, and I'm hoping for a 1 bedroom.
Or a 2 bedroom in my wildest dreams lol.

Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
No preference, either is fine.

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Single, no children.

Do you have pets?
No, but I want to get a cat.

Do you want or need a yard?
Nope!

Are you keeping a car?
Nope! Can't even drive (yet). Don't judge me, I never had to learn until now lol.

Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
Either is fine. I live right on a main artery in DC now though, so I would prefer something that is reasonably quiet at night though.

What do you want to be closest to?
Basic services (supermarket, gym, etc.) and transportation (subway, bus) are the most important for me. Right now, my life is very walkable and that's one thing that I don't want to give up.

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
Definitely prefer diversity. I'm black, so don't want to be anywhere that I have to worry about how my neighbors perceive me. I'm fine with up and coming neighborhoods, but prefer something trending more on the up. I got mugged once and never want to experience that again lol.

Favorite Beverage - Craft Beer, wine, water?
I'm a cocktail person! Rum and tequila.
Beer is liquid bread and I hate it, and wine is rotten juice that I can tolerate, depending.
But cocktails are art.

So yeah, any guidance on neighborhoods, what I should expect, where to find apartments, etc. would be great and so helpful. I've been researching a bit and reading threads, so I have a vague idea of things.
I've been looking at southern Center City, Fishtown, Brewerytown, Northern Liberties,Yorktown, Francisville...just all the stuff surrounding the expensive stuff lmao etc. but without having been there, it's hard to know if I'm on the right track or not.

Thank you!

Last edited by Chaosbutterfly; 07-29-2020 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2020, 11:12 AM
 
558 posts, read 484,471 times
Reputation: 605
I would look into South Philly. Point Breeze is an up and coming neighborhood. I would maybe try to live closer to broad street in the southern section of the neighborhood. There are a good number of bars in point breeze plus you can easily walk to East Passyunk Ave which is a hip area and west passyunk is tons of very diverse immigrant owned businesses. I lived nearby for many years without a car; I don't see you having a problem. Your budget would probably permit you to live in Passyunk Square as well. There not as many black people in this neighborhood (point breeze is majority black). I don't think you would have any problems but I just wanted to mention it.

I think you are also right to look at Brewerytown and Francisville. Brewerytown probably has more stuff right in the neighborhood but Francisville is right next to the subway and more connected to Center City. Personally I would choose Francisville all things being equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2020, 01:08 PM
 
707 posts, read 338,957 times
Reputation: 593
Francisville is very nice. I have a good buddy who moved there from Old City and he loves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2020, 07:22 AM
 
Location: New York City
6,741 posts, read 5,916,901 times
Reputation: 3728
What part of DC do you live in?

Northern Liberties and Fishtown are the most expensive of the list you provided, but also have the most going on, and they are fairly connected to Center City. Tons of great food spots and a diverse/eclectic crowd, but the area is getting quite expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2020, 08:32 AM
 
62 posts, read 113,193 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
I would look into South Philly. Point Breeze is an up and coming neighborhood. I would maybe try to live closer to broad street in the southern section of the neighborhood. There are a good number of bars in point breeze plus you can easily walk to East Passyunk Ave which is a hip area and west passyunk is tons of very diverse immigrant owned businesses. I lived nearby for many years without a car; I don't see you having a problem. Your budget would probably permit you to live in Passyunk Square as well. There not as many black people in this neighborhood (point breeze is majority black). I don't think you would have any problems but I just wanted to mention it.

I think you are also right to look at Brewerytown and Francisville. Brewerytown probably has more stuff right in the neighborhood but Francisville is right next to the subway and more connected to Center City. Personally I would choose Francisville all things being equal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Francisville is very nice. I have a good buddy who moved there from Old City and he loves it.
Thank you both!!
I'll look closer at Francisville!

Is there a preferred/best place to look for apartments in Philly?
In DC, it's pretty much all craigslist but I'm not sure if it's the same up there.



Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
What part of DC do you live in?

Northern Liberties and Fishtown are the most expensive of the list you provided, but also have the most going on, and they are fairly connected to Center City. Tons of great food spots and a diverse/eclectic crowd, but the area is getting quite expensive.
I'm super spoiled, I live in Shaw, really close to U Street/Georgia Avenue haha.
I moved there...6 years ago when it was still scary to some people, but it's a dope neighborhood and so convenient to everything, including every supermarket ever, bars, transportation, restaurants, entertainment, recreation, gyms/exercise studios, the Capitol and National Mall....everything. I don't expect the same from Philly necessary, but I'll take as close as I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2020, 10:03 AM
 
Location: New York City
6,741 posts, read 5,916,901 times
Reputation: 3728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaosbutterfly View Post
Thank you both!!
I'll look closer at Francisville!

Is there a preferred/best place to look for apartments in Philly?
In DC, it's pretty much all craigslist but I'm not sure if it's the same up there.





I'm super spoiled, I live in Shaw, really close to U Street/Georgia Avenue haha.
I moved there...6 years ago when it was still scary to some people, but it's a dope neighborhood and so convenient to everything, including every supermarket ever, bars, transportation, restaurants, entertainment, recreation, gyms/exercise studios, the Capitol and National Mall....everything. I don't expect the same from Philly necessary, but I'll take as close as I can get.
Awesome, my friend lives in Shaw. Its a great spot.

You will notice Philadelphia is a different type of city, it moreso resembles New York than DC. Going from DC to Philadelphia is more of an adjustment than New York to Philadelphia, but you will enjoy Philadelphia. Its a great city with a ton of unique culture/history, architecture, and amazing food (better than DC).

I would say Northern Liberties/Fishtown come closest to the the Shaw vibe. You said you don't mind up and coming, but Point Breeze is pretty dreary in most parts. Fairmount leading into Francisville/Spring Garden or Brewerytown is another good area with some very nice streets, good energy, good food and definitely improving each year. Also decently close to Center City and the Art Museum area.

There is of course Center City which is the epicenter for the action. $1200 is on the low end, but it worth checking out Center City neighborhoods.

Queen Village, Passyunk are neighborhoods in South Philadelphia that would work too.

You can check craigslist, or just google "apartments center city Philadelphia" and it will lead you to various sites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:36 AM
 
Location: SW Florida
4,729 posts, read 6,459,277 times
Reputation: 8050
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Awesome, my friend lives in Shaw. Its a great spot.

You will notice Philadelphia is a different type of city, it moreso resembles New York than DC. Going from DC to Philadelphia is more of an adjustment than New York to Philadelphia, but you will enjoy Philadelphia. Its a great city with a ton of unique culture/history, architecture, and amazing food (better than DC).

I would say Northern Liberties/Fishtown come closest to the the Shaw vibe. You said you don't mind up and coming, but Point Breeze is pretty dreary in most parts. Fairmount leading into Francisville/Spring Garden or Brewerytown is another good area with some very nice streets, good energy, good food and definitely improving each year. Also decently close to Center City and the Art Museum area.

There is of course Center City which is the epicenter for the action. $1200 is on the low end, but it worth checking out Center City neighborhoods.

Queen Village, Passyunk are neighborhoods in South Philadelphia that would work too.

You can check craigslist, or just google "apartments center city Philadelphia" and it will lead you to various sites.
Well, that's a first -- being told Philly resembles NYC! Just kidding, but I am curious about the differences between D.C. and Philly that you mention will require an adjustment on OP's part. What are they?

As for the OP, I am a former Philly native and one of the biggest homers you'll ever see on here. I think it's the best city in the country and I'll always call it my hometown!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 07:12 AM
 
Location: New York City
6,741 posts, read 5,916,901 times
Reputation: 3728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Well, that's a first -- being told Philly resembles NYC! Just kidding, but I am curious about the differences between D.C. and Philly that you mention will require an adjustment on OP's part. What are they?

As for the OP, I am a former Philly native and one of the biggest homers you'll ever see on here. I think it's the best city in the country and I'll always call it my hometown!
I didn't mean an adjustment in a bad way, but Philadelphia has a more urban, big city, grit, concrete feel to it, especially in the neighborhoods the OP is considering. Hard to explain via typing, but a different vibe than most of DC.

(And I am a big Philadelphia homer as well, I talk about it more than New York in my daily life, lol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top