Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2020, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 884 times

Advertisements

Hi, My 18 year old son will be moving to Philly for a gap year job. He'll be working at 1500 JFK downtown (near Love Square). We're trying to decide between him living downtown (West Washington Sq, chancellor apts or Carlemont apts, or in City Center West (21st and Walnut)) versus him living out near UPenn (41st and Baltimore). He could walk to work living downtown but living near UPenn he might have more opportunities to meet people his own age, etc. Also concerned about safety. I would really appreciate any thoughts on any of this! thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2020, 12:07 PM

120 posts, read 95,245 times
Do you know what his budget will be? Compared to other Northeast cities, Philadelphia is affordable but the Center City neighborhoods are generally the most expensive in the city. 41st and Baltimore is a great area. I am not sure how the vibe will be with many universities doing remote learning since the vibrancy (especially closer to campus) relies on the student population.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:32 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,116,894 times
Broadly speaking, the neighborhoods of Center City, including where your son is looking, are as safe as any major city downtown. It's one of the more walkable downtowns as well. Of course, it's still the city but stuff happens - and recent protest-related events are an aberration - but as long as he isn't out by himself after midnight every evening as he gets to know the area, he should be okay.

University City would indeed be a great place to meet people his age. My only concern is that if he's not going to Penn, Drexel or U Sciences, creating common bonds might be difficult. He might be better off living downtown with a shorter commute to work assuming the budget allows.

Old 08-03-2020, 12:38 PM

2 posts, read 884 times
Thank you for your reply. We have found apts in each place for about $900/month, but the downtown ones are only abut 200 sq ft vs 450 ft in the one near University City, and he would probably be fine in either one size-wize. We have heard that the area west of 42nd should be avoided; do you think that is accurate? I also wonder about him living downtown (West Washington Sq.), seems like an 18 year old would be out of place, but maybe not. If it was your son/friend, what would you recommend?

Old 08-03-2020, 01:14 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,116,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngraymond View Post
Thank you for your reply. We have found apts in each place for about $900/month, but the downtown ones are only abut 200 sq ft vs 450 ft in the one near University City, and he would probably be fine in either one size-wize. We have heard that the area west of 42nd should be avoided; do you think that is accurate? I also wonder about him living downtown (West Washington Sq.), seems like an 18 year old would be out of place, but maybe not. If it was your son/friend, what would you recommend?
IMO University City and associated neighborhoods are fine out to 50th Street between Walnut and Kingsessing. Lots of students, university and hospital employees as well as young professionals priced out of downtown live out here.

It's probably true that there may be few 18-21 YOs living in Washington Square that aren't still living with their parents. However, he's not far from South Street where there are shops and restaurants that might interest him.

21st and Walnut might put him in the vicinity of Penn students who prefer to "reverse commute" to campus and come home to the convenience of downtown.

Keep in mind that we're going through a unique time where places that younger people may normally congregate are in shorter supply. College students may not necessarily be returning this fall. So I might focus on a short commute for his first year and staying safe and healthy after hours.

Old 08-05-2020, 02:22 AM

837 posts, read 682,467 times
Not sure where your from, but if it were my son I would steer him to apartments near the Drexel campus (University City but closer to 34th).

The 34th st subway stop is much safer than the one at 40th, and the students at Drexel are frankly much more down to earth than Penn and as an outsider he stands a better chance of meeting people there.

Other option is Fishtown, young-hip crowd and he could still take the subway (El) to work.

Drexel campus all the way from Market to Spring Garden is safe, and filled with shops etc

Old 08-05-2020, 08:08 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,479,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Not sure where your from, but if it were my son I would steer him to apartments near the Drexel campus (University City but closer to 34th).

The 34th st subway stop is much safer than the one at 40th, and the students at Drexel are frankly much more down to earth than Penn and as an outsider he stands a better chance of meeting people there.
There is nothing dangerous about the 40th Street Stop. It was my home stop when I lived in UC and it's perfectly fine.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:30 PM

837 posts, read 682,467 times
Not sure the last time youve been there, but drugs dealing near the chicken place and teens who are frequently misbehaved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
There is nothing dangerous about the 40th Street Stop. It was my home stop when I lived in UC and it's perfectly fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia