Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 08:41 AM

5 posts, read 2,022 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm moving to Philly in a few week's time and will potentially have to commute between Brewerytown and Harrowgate for work.

Does anyone have some advice on how safe it is to take public transportation for this journey? I've read many tips saying that it's far too dangerous, but also some that say if you keep to yourself and don't wear anything flashy you'll be fine.

It's a teaching position and I don't think I'm in a financial position to afford a car just yet. Additionally, I'm a bit fearful of driving in a bigger city after having been in a car crash + coming from CA means that I'm not used to driving in stormy weather.

I really appreciate any honest advice about this journey.
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 10:15 AM

7,731 posts, read 5,454,439 times
the easiest way on public transportation is to take the 15 trolley down girard and transfer to the Market-Frankford elevated subway at girard and front and getting out at the Allegheny station. Idk what you are expecting, but harrowgate is going to be some serious culture shock. Most of us never set foot in that area. I guess you realize it's a Hispanic neighborhood so hopefully you speak some Spanish. It's a highly impoverished high crime area. I would be much less concerned about the ride there and more concerned about going from the school back to the subway station. Good luck and I hope it works out okay.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
the easiest way on public transportation is to take the 15 trolley down girard and transfer to the Market-Frankford elevated subway at girard and front and getting out at the Allegheny station. Idk what you are expecting, but harrowgate is going to be some serious culture shock. Most of us never set foot in that area. I guess you realize it's a Hispanic neighborhood so hopefully you speak some Spanish. It's a highly impoverished high crime area. I would be much less concerned about the ride there and more concerned about going from the school back to the subway station. Good luck and I hope it works out okay.
Thanks so much for the advice - google maps also recommends the #3 bus? Do you have any information about what the busses are like?

I honestly don't know much about this area at all, trying to inform myself more. I speak very very minimal Spanish, so will definitely have to practice.
I really appreciate you taking the time to answer, thank you.

Old 08-12-2020, 02:26 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,419,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transatlanticteacher View Post
Thanks so much for the advice - google maps also recommends the #3 bus? Do you have any information about what the busses are like?

I honestly don't know much about this area at all, trying to inform myself more. I speak very very minimal Spanish, so will definitely have to practice.
Yeah, in general, I would personally take the trolley and transfer to the MFL. There's also the '3' bus, which is a direct, transfer-free route. I personally find the cadence and forcefulness of bus stop-and-go movement to be quite nauseating, so I rarely take a bus. I would only feel okay riding the bus from morning into the early evening hours in that part of town, myself. And I am not someone typically overly concerned with personal safety. Some people don't mind the bus, though. MarketStEl (Sandy), a prominent poster here on the Philadelphia forum, is a proponent of bus ridership. He may have more info.

Will you be living in Brewerytown and working in Harrowgate?

Edit: After re-reading, I presume yes, and that you are teaching in Harrowgate. Well as thedirtypirate said, teaching children in that neighborhood means Spanish will not be a bad idea. I am not sure what age you will be teaching, but the older students will be fine and fluent in English. Young children who grow up in Spanish speaking housholds, but go to English speaking schools often speak a broken mix of the two languages, as the distinction between the two is muddier for them. If you want to learn, obviously it is going to be an "as you go" process. Having students that speak both languages will surely make it both easier and feel more urgent. Besides, learning Spanish is never a bad idea as a United Statesian.

Last edited by Muinteoir; 08-12-2020 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: typo + clarification

Old 08-12-2020, 02:48 PM

7,731 posts, read 5,454,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transatlanticteacher View Post

I actually prefer the buses and find them more convenient in Philly. Also, I suggested learning Spanish simply because most of the children in that area of the city are of Hispanic descent.

Old 08-12-2020, 04:08 PM

20 posts, read 11,701 times
I also like the bus system as well. The Transit App does a good job at giving you live updates on where the buses are in relation to your address. It usually lags by a minute or two, but it is the best way to keep track of your bus.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Yeah, in general, I would personally take the trolley and transfer to the MFL. There's also the '3' bus, which is a direct, transfer-free route. I personally find the cadence and forcefulness of bus stop-and-go movement to be quite nauseating, so I rarely take a bus. I would only feel okay riding the bus from morning into the early evening hours in that part of town, myself. And I am not someone typically overly concerned with personal safety. Some people don't mind the bus, though. MarketStEl (Sandy), a prominent poster here on the Philadelphia forum, is a proponent of bus ridership. He may have more info.

Will you be living in Brewerytown and working in Harrowgate?

Edit: After re-reading, I presume yes, and that you are teaching in Harrowgate. Well as thedirtypirate said, teaching children in that neighborhood means Spanish will not be a bad idea. I am not sure what age you will be teaching, but the older students will be fine and fluent in English. Young children who grow up in Spanish speaking housholds, but go to English speaking schools often speak a broken mix of the two languages, as the distinction between the two is muddier for them. If you want to learn, obviously it is going to be an "as you go" process. Having students that speak both languages will surely make it both easier and feel more urgent. Besides, learning Spanish is never a bad idea as a United Statesian.
I really appreciate your transparency!
At the moment there is nothing set in stone just yet about where we will be living, but this is a potential commute.
I thankfully am fine with busses, especially having used them regularly in London (although they're in very good condition there I must say).

I think your advice about the timing is super meaningful, if I can I will be leaving work at the latest around 4:30, then working from home. Hopefully, this time will be okay.

To be honest, unfortunately, I don't think I will have much choice in regards to what the route will be, but it's really helpful to hear the perspective of someone with a similar POV. Thank you so much!

Old 08-12-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
I actually prefer the buses and find them more convenient in Philly. Also, I suggested learning Spanish simply because most of the children in that area of the city are of Hispanic descent.
Okay, that's really good to know! Are they alright in terms of cleanliness?

Old 08-12-2020, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsondvm2015 View Post
I also like the bus system as well. The Transit App does a good job at giving you live updates on where the buses are in relation to your address. It usually lags by a minute or two, but it is the best way to keep track of your bus.
I'll make sure to download the app!

Old 08-12-2020, 07:00 PM

10,584 posts, read 12,007,160 times
In the winter time it's dark by 4:30p
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia