U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 03:54 PM

7 posts, read 27,376 times

Advertisements

If schools are a top concern, as I'm sure they are, I would lean more toward Jersey. Many of the schools there trump Philly on a bad day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 11:39 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
great info here. Anyone have similar info on PA burbs?

Here is a single family for under $230k(Weichert.com: Realtors, Real Estate Listings, Homes For Sale & Financial Services) in Swarthmore which is a great little town.Not too many houses in Swarthmore will you find in thi sprice range.

Swarthmore, PA 19081 Real Estate: MLS # 5336942 (http://www.weichert.com/search/realestate/PropertyListing.aspx?P=19501259&cityid=1605%2c6602 %2c13906%2c22502%2c22509%2c32365%2c43325%2c50196%2 c55890&mls=74&maxpr=230&pg=2 - broken link)

Other walkable Pa. towns that might have houses in your price range are Ridley Park
Media
Havertown
Drexel Hill-Great town but not in the best of school districts
Ardmore
West Chester
Glenside
Jenkintown
Ambler
Conshohocken

Old 05-04-2008, 08:24 PM

548 posts, read 1,835,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Here is a single family for under $230k(Weichert.com: Realtors, Real Estate Listings, Homes For Sale & Financial Services) in Swarthmore which is a great little town.Not too many houses in Swarthmore will you find in thi sprice range.

Swarthmore, PA 19081 Real Estate: MLS # 5336942 (http://www.weichert.com/search/realestate/PropertyListing.aspx?P=19501259&cityid=1605%2c6602 %2c13906%2c22502%2c22509%2c32365%2c43325%2c50196%2 c55890&mls=74&maxpr=230&pg=2 - broken link)

Other walkable Pa. towns that might have houses in your price range are Ridley Park
Media
Havertown
Drexel Hill-Great town but not in the best of school districts
Ardmore
West Chester
Glenside
Jenkintown
Ambler
Conshohocken
thanks for all this great info. What would you say the property taxes are in towns like these?

Old 05-05-2008, 11:30 AM

30 posts, read 134,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
Is it possible to live in a neighborhood good for a young family (good schools, nice walk-able downtown) where housing is $200-$230k for a 3 bedroom house? I live in Ohio right now and I want to move back east, but I'm stressed about housing costs and finding a neighborhood like my current one.

Any suggestions on neighborhoods/towns were I can get what I'm looking for?
Moved to Philly from Cincinnati (middle aged) and I am glad I did. Liked Ohio very much but like Philly also. The one single negative is the traffic.

RE: homes- there are plenty of great and safe neighborhoods close to the city - look at Audobon, Haddon Heights, Oaklyn, Collingswood in NJ. Look at Narberth, Bala Cynwyd, Belmont Hills over in PA.

On a nice day you can go to the beach on Saturday and then go to the mountains on Sunday.

If the traffic was less this would be a perfect area to live.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:23 PM

160 posts, read 740,559 times
To be quite honest, you may find it a challenge to find something in a nice neighborhood at that price point, BUT if you are willing to sacrifice on some things(age of home, number of bathrooms, etc) you may be pleasantly surprised. Check out the Abington/Roslyn areas, Willow Grove and Glenside. For a single home, Abington may be your best bet, as the others I mentioned most likely will not be a single home or might be in a less desirable neighborhood. If you're open to townhouse living, check out Willow Grove and Warminster, as well as Horsham. These are all in Montgomery County

Old 05-07-2008, 05:00 PM

165 posts, read 769,772 times
I like to sing the praises of Jenkintown Borough. You can find a small 3-bedroom there in the high side of your price range. The town is walkable - and there is great public transportation to center city. The school district is so small, it is like sending your children to private school.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:11 PM

34 posts, read 256,333 times
Default Schools in NJ compared to Philly Burbs-Mainline

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbfam9 View Post
If schools are a top concern, as I'm sure they are, I would lean more toward Jersey. Many of the schools there trump Philly on a bad day.
I thought the schools in and around south jersey were not that highly rated...not that they were bad.. just around average. Whereas there are some top schools in and around Philly along the mainline and farther out. (Conestoga was rated extremely high). I know people from Riverton, Cherry Hill, Delran, etc.. and according to them the schools were decent, but nothing above the norm. Where could I actually find ratings and stats on such schools for comparison. I would be interested to see how both sides of the river compare.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:26 PM

34 posts, read 256,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejayy View Post
Moved to Philly from Cincinnati (middle aged) and I am glad I did. Liked Ohio very much but like Philly also. The one single negative is the traffic.

RE: homes- there are plenty of great and safe neighborhoods close to the city - look at Audobon, Haddon Heights, Oaklyn, Collingswood in NJ. Look at Narberth, Bala Cynwyd, Belmont Hills over in PA.

On a nice day you can go to the beach on Saturday and then go to the mountains on Sunday.

If the traffic was less this would be a perfect area to live.
From cincy...and you thought philly was bad ..I've done business in cincy, and it was terrible, some of the worse traffic I've experienced in a city. I know that Schuylkill is backed up it seems all the time, and 95 N from the city can be real slow..yes...and if there is an accident..you're toast. ok...similar to cincy. I think old cities just aren't built for the population growth that occured, and hills and rivers don't help, though they make cities look more interesting. The infrastructure just can't support it. It really depends on where you are trying to go, but many areas don't experience that parking lot effect. I'm sure that could be probably said for cincy also....some areas crammed.. others not so much...I just never found the not so much parts when I was there...

Old 05-14-2008, 06:06 PM

548 posts, read 1,835,315 times
since I first posted this, I've explored (online) some places in Bucks County.

in my price range (let's say $175-$230k), what is the best town for me, given that I'm aiming for a nice, safe "downtown" with good schools, and property taxes aren't outrageous?

Old 05-14-2008, 09:40 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
Don't know the towns that well but in terms of schools Central Bucks is the 5 th best SD in the state.

Then
New Hope
Council Rock
Palisades
Quakertown
And a bunch of others but I would think these should cover it...

If you do a search on city data you will find recommendations for different parts of Bucks county. Seems like your price will be a significantly limiting factor so why not go on a real estate site, plug in the must haves and see what comes out, and pick the one with the best schools?

And as far as property taxes, most places in PA seem to be in the $4-7k range...that's why the schools are so good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia